Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Naked and famous denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mauro, Feb 13, 2008.

1. mmm

mmm Senior member

I've been looking into the Skinnyguy in Silk and the Weirdguy in Greycast indigo. Can anyone who has owned or handled both give me an idea of their thoughts on it as far as fit, in person color, and impressions (superbrief is fine by me) after wear? Fit pics or any pics in general would great if possible. Thanks!

I have a pair of the silk skinny guys and the grey selvage weird guys. The color on both is great. I wouldnt wear either everyday just because the colour is so different then everything else out there. The silks bleed like crazy though.

2. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Someone asked for fit pics.

These are the weird guys indigo selvage. Got them 6 weeks ago. They are my first raws so it's an experiment. Not doing anything special, just wearing them alot. They haven't been washed or soaked.

My waist is around 33 and these are 32. They were real tight when I got them and have loosened a lot in waist, thighs, and seat. I never stacked jeans before and these have sort of stacked unevenly. Oh well.

Earlier in the thread I complain about the fit in the crotch area; you'll see what i mean in the 2nd pic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Here are pics when I'm not wearing them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

They sound nice and I found some info. on them in an old Denim Bar thread from over a year ago. How would you recommend sizing them? I heard true to size even though BiG sizing makes them seem bigger than they really are. True?

i believe their true to size because they're not selvedge

if you're looking for 31's let me know, i'm selling a pair

5. mmm

mmm Senior member

They sound nice and I found some info. on them in an old Denim Bar thread from over a year ago. How would you recommend sizing them? I heard true to size even though BiG sizing makes them seem bigger than they really are. True?

most of my jeans are 30 but I got my silks in 31. 30 was too tight in the waist. Im 5'11 around 155 if that helps.

6. epsilon

epsilon Well-Known Member

i believe their true to size because they're not selvedge
    You're confusing selvedge with unsanforized.

7. djs488

djs488 Senior member

I bought mine TTS and they have stretched less than an inch in the waist after about a month of wear. How they fit you in the store is basically how they'll stay -- a little stretching in the thigh, and of course, kneebags, can be expected though.

8. Meis

Meis Senior member

I bought mine TTS and they have stretched less than an inch in the waist after about a month of wear. How they fit you in the store is basically how they'll stay -- a little stretching in the thigh, and of course, kneebags, can be expected though.

Pretty much the same for me. I normally wear 30s in levis 514s and bought 30 in the weird guys after hearing (here, I think) that they don't stretch much, at least compared to APCs. So far after a little less than a month there is little to no stretching and I wear them decently snug. As far as sizing- I wouldn't recomend sizing down more than one. I feel like the people that did size down more than that did so b/c they have pretty slim thighs (weird guys aren't super slim in the thighs) so if that's the case for you the 'weird guy' probably isn't a good cut for you and you could look at the skinny guy.

9. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

You're confusing selvedge with unsanforized.

yeah i think you're right either way, it doesn't seem like the silks will stretch out because of the silk and elastine in them

10. theom-

theom- Senior member

yeah i think you're right either way, it doesn't seem like the silks will stretch out because of the silk and elastine in them

they will stretch out because of the elastane.

11. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior member

Someone asked for fit pics.
    These are the weird guys indigo selvage. Got them 6 weeks ago. They are my first raws so it's an experiment. Not doing anything special, just wearing them alot. They haven't been washed or soaked.

My waist is around 33 and these are 32. They were real tight when I got them and have loosened a lot in waist, thighs, and seat. I never stacked jeans before and these have sort of stacked unevenly. Oh well.

Earlier in the thread I complain about the fit in the crotch area; you'll see what i mean in the 2nd pic.

I think what you do with the jeans depends on the fit you want from them.

IMO, they look too relaxed on you from top to bottom, but I prefer my Weird Guys to fit skinny rather than loose. For the fitted look, you have too much room in the top block (this statement is relative to the fact that these are supposed to be a slim fitting jean). If the top block was more fitted you would have less hip flare and moose knuckle showing.

I agree that the stacking looks off. I think this might be due to the leg opening being too wide; generally, stacks look more appropriate on fitted jeans with smaller leg openings (<7.75"). Since your jeans aren't fitted enough, the stacking doesn't look appropriate.

As far as the relaxed look goes, these don't look too bad if you don't mind the hip flare. If you hemmed these by 3 inches or so, you'd end up with at least an 8" leg opening and they'd look respectable for a semi-slim taper pair of jeans.

If you want to go for a true slim fit, size down. Although the denim on yours is completely different from mine, you might want to try giving them a hot soak (1 hour, hang dry) to see what that does.

12. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Thx. That's the kind of advice I need.

I hadn't even noticed the hip flare until you pointed it out.

I would be happy to hem these about 3" for a semi-slim taper pair of jeans. I would still wear them that way and just chalk it up as learning experience. If there are any considerations I should keep in mind about hemming, I'm open to suggestions. Otherwise, I'll have my regular tailor do it.

I want a pair of slim fitting jeans, so my next purchase I should size down. I don't want another pair of N&F, though. I was thinking of tryin APC New Cure. Before these N&F, I actually had the New Cure in size 31 (these N&F are 32) but I chickened out after 1 night and exchanged them because they felt so damn tight. I'm more confident now that they'll stretch.

Still, after reading around the forum, I wonder if APC is a smart move after N&F. Maybe I should try a better brand. Given the way these 32 weird guys fit, I'm wondering what my next move should be purchase-wise, and what brand of raws I might wanna try next.

I don't want another low-rise jean.

13. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

Thx. That's the kind of advice I need.

I hadn't even noticed the hip flare until you pointed it out.

I would be happy to hem these about 3" for a semi-slim taper pair of jeans. I would still wear them that way and just chalk it up as learning experience. If there are any considerations I should keep in mind about hemming, I'm open to suggestions. Otherwise, I'll have my regular tailor do it.

I want a pair of slim fitting jeans, so my next purchase I should size down. I don't want another pair of N&F, though. I was thinking of tryin APC New Cure. Before these N&F, I actually had the New Cure in size 31 (these N&F are 32) but I chickened out after 1 night and exchanged them because they felt so damn tight. I'm more confident now that they'll stretch.

Still, after reading around the forum, I wonder if APC is a smart move after N&F. Maybe I should try a better brand. Given the way these 32 weird guys fit, I'm wondering what my next move should be purchase-wise, and what brand of raws I might wanna try next.

I don't want another low-rise jean.

did you try on the slim guys? what about sizing those down?

14. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

I don't think the store offered the slim guys. Just the weird guys.

If I did try N&F again, you're right, I would probably go with slim guys. I just checked the site, and they have the mid-rise that I'm looking for, and the legs seem, well, slimmer.

15. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

Slim guys I think are slim but on the straightish side. I remember hearing that they were the closest to being a true straight fit among all of Naked and Famous' cuts.

I've whined about this endlessly but I like everything about the slim guys but the zip fly. It's one of those things I'm really particular about I guess