Naked and famous denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mauro, Feb 13, 2008.

1. entrero

entrero Senior member

Google has failed me, link for proof

2. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

They're 125 I believe, or at least in that range. They're pretty nice in person.

where did you see this?

3. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

if N+F is able to make python skin wallets for less than 50 i don't see why they wouldn't be able to make a $50 long wallet out of ordinary leather
    Good quality vegetable tanned leather ain't cheap either though - a traditional, British oak-bark tanned leather takes around 12 to 13 months to process, and cost quite a bit more than the average 1.5 to 2 months tannage, generic steer hide. For a long wallet under $50, you're likely to get a machine-stitched wallet with leather cut from the belly (the budget portion), held together with cheap poly stitching and made with not too much consideration (time is money, and $50 doesn't allow for much time, especially if they're Canadian and not a sweatshop worker in the 3rd world). Just like denim, with leather you get what you pay for - and if it's something you plan to use for the next 5 or more years, I suggest if possible try and up your budget a little and get something with a bit more quality. And with snakeskin, you gotta be careful with the different types of snakes used, the cheaper/more common varieties tend not to make very good wallet leather, e.g. water snake, etc (unless done as an inset) - and big brands don't usually correctly advertise the type of skin they've used (don't automatically assume it's 'python' just because they say so).

4. entrero

entrero Senior member

Question to you guys: Would you go for a)superior made product by sweatlabor in developing countries or b) shoddy made product from developed countries

5. Psydelik

Psydelik Senior member

where did you see this?
    The Times Profile Shop here in Vancouver.

6. whatever123

The Times Profile Shop here in Vancouver.
    ok

7. meso

meso Senior member

Yes, tts. And that means true to your waist measurement, not the size pants you normally wear. I made the mistake of ordering Skinny Guy deep Indigos in 30, which is what I wear in 511s, and they are still kinda uncomfortable in the thighs. I measured my waist, and it's actually 32 inches. I am an idiot.

No you're not. Just about all pants measure two inches or so larger than the tagged size, especially when they stretch out. Go measure a few others in your closet, then compare with sites that list the actual measured sizes, like blue owl or context. Skinny guys are just... well... really skinny.

8. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Man, tell me about it. I just picked up a pair of slim guys and I'm having the exact same issue. I love the way they look, but they feel uncomfortable. I wear a 30 in most brands (my waist 30 R&B chinos are even a little loose on me), and I tried on the 30s, 29s, and finally the 28s. I originally bought the 29s, but it looked like with some stretching they would be too big, so I exchanged them for the 28s. Now I think the 28s are actually too small. The waist is ok, but the thigh is tight. I feel like a jackass for buying jeans in the wrong size, but sometimes it's a guessing game, even if you try on every size. I'm wondering if giving them a soak and wearing them as they dry will be enough to get them to stretch sufficiently.

Your post highlights what I find so maddening about my pair of Skinny guys. They look good, but I just need a little more room through the thigh, and I can't decide wether to just put up with it in the hope they stretch out, or if I should buy a pair in 31 or 32. That's kind of why I'm trying to swap them. They're great jeans, and it'd be a sin to get a new pair and have them sit in my cupboard unused after 2 months wear, a constant reminder of my own stupidity in not researching the fit more thoroughly.

9. C-Note

C-Note Senior member

Wouldn't Weirdguys be ideal when needing the thigh space?

10. whatever123

Question to you guys: Would you go for a)superior made product by sweatlabor in developing countries or b) shoddy made product from developed countries

b. sweatshops are bad bad.

11. whatever123

Wouldn't Weirdguys be ideal when needing the thigh space?
    the measurements suggest so, but then again it depends on how much room you need in the upper-thigh area. for example, i couldnt wear any fit but the weird guy because i need at least a 12" thigh. but im fat (not like the retard from subway fat) and have a 33 or 34 inch waist. so i guess it depends on size.

12. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Senior member

Good quality vegetable tanned leather ain't cheap either though - a traditional, British oak-bark tanned leather takes around 12 to 13 months to process, and cost quite a bit more than the average 1.5 to 2 months tannage, generic steer hide.

For a long wallet under $50, you're likely to get a machine-stitched wallet with leather cut from the belly (the budget portion), held together with cheap poly stitching and made with not too much consideration (time is money, and $50 doesn't allow for much time, especially if they're Canadian and not a sweatshop worker in the 3rd world).

Just like denim, with leather you get what you pay for - and if it's something you plan to use for the next 5 or more years, I suggest if possible try and up your budget a little and get something with a bit more quality.

And with snakeskin, you gotta be careful with the different types of snakes used, the cheaper/more common varieties tend not to make very good wallet leather, e.g. water snake, etc (unless done as an inset) - and big brands don't usually correctly advertise the type of skin they've used (don't automatically assume it's 'python' just because they say so).

Good post.

One reason good quality leather is so expensive is due to how much leather the company can use from a hide (especially with premium cuts. Much of the leather bought, simply cannot be used due to imperfections. I work a great deal with leather. A large amount of leather I use gets donated to schools for art class. I simply cannot use every inch of a cut. Sometimes I end up sending the whole order back to the company if it doesn't meet my standards.

When buying leather goods, you simply get what you pay for. A top quality leather good will probably outlast you. It will look better with age as well

13. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Senior member

I have read through this thread and am looking to buy the weird guys and slims. I have never owned a pair of selvedge denim. I wear a 31 or 32 in all of my pants and other 'other' jeans. From my understanding I will need to get the 30 waist. Is this correct? Can someone weigh with some opinions. I want to achieve a 'fitted' look without the jeans being skin tight like some of yall like.

When I get the weird guys hemmed to a 33 inseam. Will this affect the tapering on the weird guys? Not sure where they start to taper. I also have no way of trying these on. No stores withing 2 hours carry this brand so it will be a blind buy.

14. C-Note

C-Note Senior member

You should probably tape measure your waist where you plan to wear the jeans (or maybe just your waist) and go from there. A lot of people say down 1, maybe even 2 for WGs (but personally I'd only go down 1 for a less skinny fit) and then down 2 for slim guys. The reason a lot of people say not to use the tagged sizes of your other jeans is that lots of jeans don't measure exactly the same for any given tagged size. It's best to go buy your measured waist size, especially when you start considering lots of raw denim where they might be vanity sized, they stretch, etc.

And I think the taper starts from the knee down for WGs, so hemming would change the leg opening. You'd need to say you want to maintain the same leg opening after hemming

15. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

that sounds like a loaded question from someone who shares the opinion of the minority