Naked and famous denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mauro, Feb 13, 2008.

1. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

where can you buy naked&famous wallets?

i believe only at the Times Profile Shop in Vancouver.

2. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

i would be very surprised if it did not last longer then a year. i have a wallet that has lasted 10 years that is not nearly the level of what these guys did with this. the n&f wallet isnt a ton of money and i think it would work just fine. i buy for 5-7 years, not a 100. i can think of anything id want that long.

Well, it's the combination of factors - a thick, unwaxed thread sitting in ungrooved holes right smack on top of the leather, being used with raw denim for back pocket fades...the threads will give, as I have seen on a couple of people's N&F belts.

I would normally leave this alone - it is supposedly $45 after all, but since they had to call it 'Japanese-style' leather crafting, it better be up to 'Japanese standards'...this is no where close, and I'd hate for the average consumer just starting their raw leather journey to think that these wallets represents high-end leather crafting.

3. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

Well, it's the combination of factors - a thick, unwaxed thread sitting in ungrooved holes right smack on top of the leather, being used with raw denim for back pocket fades...the threads will give, as I have seen on a couple of people's N&F belts. I would normally leave this alone - it is supposedly $45 after all, but since they had to call it 'Japanese-style' leather crafting, it better be up to 'Japanese standards'...this is no where close, and I'd hate for the average consumer just starting their raw leather journey to think that these wallets represents high-end leather crafting.
    yeah...i really dont think you can make any judgment whatsoever until you have seen it and or handled it in person. right? i mean, you cant make an assumption about a belt (which is also unlikely you have any empirical knowledge of) and suggest that would also hold true for an entirely different product...that makes no sense, at least to me. n&f is a reputable company that offers "affordable" high-quality clothing, and thats that. [​IMG] i seriously doubt most consumers buy for 100 years, in fact, most are like me...they buy stuff and expect it to last for several years.

4. entrero

entrero Senior member

Guys, it's saddleback that has 100 years warranty and costs $45. Don't know about N&F.

5. whatever123

here is what has been written about the the products: "Naked & Famous introduce a new range of leather goods in their forthcoming collection. Sourcing the talents of a Canadian artisan with an extensive background in Japanese-style leather-making, the accessories include wallets, card holders and lighter holders. Each vegetable-tanned piece is completely hand-made without the help of any machines. Made in Canada, the leather accessories offer another dynamic to the Canadian brand which has continually pushed the borders of denim." i see nothing wrong with what they said. if its not up to the garage leather worker (who you might buy from), then thats fine. it is what it is and people can take it or leave it just like anything else. i just find it difficult you can criticize something from a picture.

6. whatever123

Guys, it's saddleback that has 100 years warranty and costs $45. Don't know about N&F.

ah...okay. thanks for the clarification.

7. dls6128

dls6128 Senior member

People need to stop taking marketing copy so seriously.
    sorry i know this has been asked a billion times but how does one size for skinny guy? tts?
    yes

8. Neville Bartoss

Neville Bartoss Member

sorry i know this has been asked a billion times but how does one size for skinny guy? tts?
    Yes, tts. And that means true to your waist measurement, not the size pants you normally wear. I made the mistake of ordering Skinny Guy deep Indigos in 30, which is what I wear in 511s, and they are still kinda uncomfortable in the thighs. I measured my waist, and it's actually 32 inches. I am an idiot. I also realised that my 511s have 2% stretch in them, while the deep indigos are heavy and all cotton.

I'm actually wondering if anyone would like to trade a 31 or 32 skinny guy or 30 or 31 weirdguy for my 30 skinny guy deep indigos? They have one soak, no washes and about 30 wears with a little fading. The waist has stretched out to around 33 inches. I'd like deep indigos, but any blue selvage would do. Keep in mind that I live in Melbourne, Australia. I could keep wearing the pair, and they'd probably be ok in 6 months, but I'd rather swap. Just a little too tight in the thighs.

The moral of the story? Don't size down 2 on skinny guys in 100% cotton.

9. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

If this has been asked/answered in here before, don't beat me up too bad. Which cut of N&F is closest to Levis 511?

bump

10. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

Yes, tts. And that means true to your waist measurement, not the size pants you normally wear.

thanks helps a lot

11. Neville Bartoss

Neville Bartoss Member

^Sorry, cant respond to your PM, I don't have enough posts yet. But to answer your question, no you shouldn't expect a heap of stretch from skinny guys. I got around 2 inches at the waist- but only because the pair were too small for me. The thighs are a lot more stubborn, and probably more so with my pair because I got the 15oz deep indigos. If you're 28/29 at the waist, go for 28 or 29 skinny guys depending on how tight a fit you're after. You won't be able to size down due to the fact that 28 is the smallest size N&F make.

12. dls6128

dls6128 Senior member

Yes, tts. And that means true to your waist measurement, not the size pants you normally wear. I made the mistake of ordering Skinny Guy deep Indigos in 30, which is what I wear in 511s, and they are still kinda uncomfortable in the thighs. I measured my waist, and it's actually 32 inches. I am an idiot. I also realised that my 511s have 2% stretch in them, while the deep indigos are heavy and all cotton.

That's interesting, actually, since I meant TTS to mean "your regular size." I wear 30s in most brands on this forum (Nudies, 3sixteen are the ones I have experience with) and I took a 30 in Skinny Guys Broken Twill. They are tight, but the waist has since loosened to my true waist (32). They are slim, but not skin tight.

FWIW, the only pair of 511s I have is a 31 which is probably a size too big, though I prefer them sagged.

Skinny Guy fit for reference:
    [​IMG]

13. Neville Bartoss

Neville Bartoss Member

That's interesting, actually, since I meant TTS to mean "your regular size." I wear 30s in most brands on this forum (Nudies, 3sixteen are the ones I have experience with) and I took a 30 in Skinny Guys Broken Twill. They are tight, but the waist has since loosened to my true waist (32). They are slim, but not skin tight.

FWIW, the only pair of 511s I have is a 31 which is probably a size too big, though I prefer them sagged.

Skinny Guy fit for reference:
    [​IMG]

Looks like you have the exact same fit that I do with my Skinny Guys. It is rather tight fitting, but I think it looks good. I think my problem is that I started going to the gym 8 months ago and while 30 waist jeans still fit at the waist, my thighs have gotten a fair bit bigger and that makes 30's generally tight at the thighs. Also, mine are in the 15oz deep indigo denim, wich means they're probably tougher and more resistant to stretching than your pair.

Your post highlights what I find so maddening about my pair of Skinny guys. They look good, but I just need a little more room through the thigh, and I can't decide wether to just put up with it in the hope they stretch out, or if I should buy a pair in 31 or 32. That's kind of why I'm trying to swap them. They're great jeans, and it'd be a sin to get a new pair and have them sit in my cupboard unused after 2 months wear, a constant reminder of my own stupidity in not researching the fit more thoroughly.

14. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

yeah...i really dont think you can make any judgment whatsoever until you have seen it and or handled it in person. right? i mean, you cant make an assumption about a belt (which is also unlikely you have any empirical knowledge of) and suggest that would also hold true for an entirely different product...that makes no sense, at least to me.

n&f is a reputable company that offers "affordable" high-quality clothing, and thats that. [​IMG] i seriously doubt most consumers buy for 100 years, in fact, most are like me...they buy stuff and expect it to last for several years.

I can't make a sure-fire conclusion until I've used a leather product for a couple of years.
    Just sharing some opinions, that's all.
    I've seen and handled my fare share of leathers, from exotics to raw cattlehide, and a good amount of leathercraft, from Red Moon to local makers, enough to make educated assumptions.
    But I can gather enough from those pictures that I wouldn't even want to see it in person.

Take it or leave it mate, it's just my opinion after all - if you would like to upgrade your wallet to a N&F, go right ahead.
    IMO there are way better products at a fair price that can easily be had.

15. whatever123

I can't make a sure-fire conclusion until I've used a leather product for a couple of years. Just sharing some opinions, that's all. I've seen and handled my fare share of leathers, from exotics to raw cattlehide, and a good amount of leathercraft, from Red Moon to local makers, enough to make educated assumptions. But I can gather enough from those pictures that I wouldn't even want to see it in person. Take it or leave it mate, it's just my opinion after all - if you would like to upgrade your wallet to a N&F, go right ahead. IMO there are way better products at a fair price that can easily be had.
    then say IN MY OPINION. its not hard.