Nail polish

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Fabienne, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Today, I was in the mood for a splash of color on my fingernails and toes. I notice that the eyes of those I have conversations with are drawn to my hands. I'm unsure of the impression it leaves them with. What are your thoughts regarding ladies wearing nail polish?

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

depends on the color. I like nailpolish, myself. I like dark colors - dark red, dark green, myself. I think that really bright colors don't look very proffetional, and "designs" strike me as something best left for shop girls and receptionists.

3. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I'm wearing bright pink to go with my pastel paisley dress. But I usually wear darker colors in the winter. I would never consider designs or fake nails.

4. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i like dark reds as well. i used to like the 'french manicure' (apologies to the actual french person), but it's become so ubiquitous on so many non-professional-looking women around here, that i'm no longer enamored of it. my wife is wearing dark red on her toenails. [​IMG] my little 3-year-old saw them and wanted some too, so now her toenails are done. so cute. i think with the right outfit a bright color would look nice, but it's definitely a feminine touch. not something for business meetings, unless you're trying to throw the other guy off his game. /andrew

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Especially if it's a guy that is wearing the nail polish.

Jon.

6. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i like nail polish on women with short nails. if they have long nails, i like the french manicure. long nails + polish is a bit much.

7. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Strange term, this "French manicure". My nails naturally look like they have a French manicure when bare, so I'm a little confused about the concept. I usually only feel like wearing nail polish once my nails are a certain length, but this time around tried it on relatively short nails, and I like it. And I am wearing dark red today, to go with today's browns and ecrus. See how I listen to advice? [​IMG]

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think longer nails with a point painted in a crimson look the best.

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I think the important thing is to go with your coloring. It can make your hands look really sickly and pale if you use the wrong color, esp. one that's too saturated (i.e. "colorful" on a scale from total color to grayish color). Plus, I think really long nails on women look very unattractive - I always think of first, the grunge that collects under there, and second, all the crap I would have to do for her since she has essentially rendered herself impaired. And aesthetically, they just look tacky.

10. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

Fabienne: I think whatever you want to wear on your nails is what you should do. And, I liked the other pic of Julie Delpy you had more than the current one.

11. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

I think that "long" nails and "short" nails are relative terms.

I like women with longer nails, and think that shorter nails (for example, when there is absolutely no white portion protruding from the end of the finger) look a bit childish.  To me, polish on very short nails only emphasizes the childishness.  (Sorry, just my opinion.)

I like tasteful solid color polish.  Glitter and rhinestones are a but much, particularly in a business setting.

Bic

12. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I chose it because it actually looks more like me than the previous one. I did a test and sent it to a friend, and she actually believed it was a picture of me. (it IS dark...)

13. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

You're correct about skin tones. Darker reds look far better on my hands. I have seen women who look great with pastel colors on their nails. When talking about long nails, I suppose you mean the kind one applies, not one's real nails. But I agree, this can be fairly frightening. The test for me is when typing becomes impaired.

14. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

Fabienne wrote: "I chose it because it actually looks more like me than the previous one. I did a test and sent it to a friend, and she actually believed it was a picture of me. (it IS dark...)" Not only is it dark, but her complexion is orange. Must have been taken w/o a flash. In any event, disregarding the orange, if that looks like you, you're husband is one lucky guy. [​IMG]

15. ernest

ernest Senior member

On hands = colors look most of time tacky

On feeth = sexy and elegant