• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MyTailor Shirt: Please Help Critique

Kjelon

Reaction score
A little while ago I ordered MTM shirts from MyTailor, Modern Tailor, Tailored Shirts, and Tailor Store to decide my favorite to go with going forward. Although none of them came out horribly, I was most impressed with the fit and finishing of the MyTailor shirt. Though they took the longest, I think the quality of work made up for it and I don't mind the longer wait as much as some others would.

Even though I know I want to go with them to order another 3-5 shirts, I know there are a few tweaks to the fit I need to make. Please help me confirm or suggest other changes:

8zjlet.jpg

25710mt.jpg

b5gvir.jpg

2yuairm.jpg

rqww2r.jpg

I'm thinking I need to increase the shoulder measurement by 1", take in the waist by 1", and increase my right wrist by .5" to help fit my watch better. Anything I've missed? Thanks for the help.

deanayer

Reaction score
body looks fine, shoulders could go out .5 inches on a side. The watch issue with the cuff you have to call yourself. If the shoulders go wider see if the sleeve length needs to be slightly shortened (probably not) and since you posted this in the buy/sell forum instead of the regular forum - BUY AN IRON !!
laugh.gif

Kjelon

Reaction score
it's posted here mainly because I'm an idiot and forgot to check before hitting submit. Thanks for the input though, I do appreciate it.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you live? MyTailor/Hemrajani comes to my town about every 8 weeks. If you go and let them measure you, and tell them how you want the shirt to fit, etc, their shirts are awesome and the fit is right on. Plus you can fondle the fabrics. They have a travelling schedule somewhere on their site. I recommend it highly!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The collar appears very fused.
Is it?

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
I politely disagree with some on this thread. This shirt is not so flattering. In this case people should not blame your body for an ill- fitting shirt. You look like a medium to large shoulder frame. You can get a OTR shirt that looks 100 percent better. Find a new MTM. Yes to don't suck in your stomach during a picture. And yes to ironing your shirt. The yoke is too small for your body frame. The pocket is slanted to the right. The sleeves need to be taken in (not taken up). For a dress shirt, it looks pretty casual in terms of length. Should cover your butt-on.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
pretty good
how many times has this shirt been washed?

if it has not been washed then you need to add
3/4" to collar
1/2" to both cuffs

if it has been washed then add 1/4" to collar
and 1/4" to both cuffs.
that is a very large watch

hip looks a little tight for a dress shirt. untucked it is fine.

the general body fit is good.
shoulders are fine.
do not make the body smaller until your drop 5-10 pounds.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shirtmaker could adjust a little for a low right shoulder.

Also, I know styleforum prefers the shoulders to be narrower than the hips on a dress shirt, but my vote is to widen the yoke.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As everyone has said, hit the ironing board.

Asside from that, the sleeves are too wide for your arms. Have them taken in at the biceps and tapered to the wrist. I use MyTailor. M. Kenny does my measurements and while my physique is quite different than yours, that was one area I highlighted to him for my original measurements and he even suggested doing a little more once I got the test shirt back.

Personally, I'd lose the pocket and the placket, but that's personal preference rather than fit issues. I'd add side pleats in the back. It could help with tighness around the shoulder/arm movement if the yoke is correct. They will also do a true split yoke as well. I don't know if it's only free with the better fabrics (read more expensive shirts), but I didn't have to pay extra for that feature.

The key is to let one of their tailors evaluate your test shirt after several washings/wearings/ironings.

Good luck.

LanceW

Reaction score
I get the impression the measurements were provided to MyTailor and not taken in person.

I use MyTailor for my shirts. Since I iron at home, I requested fused collar and cuffs.

Kjelon

Reaction score
I should have mentioned it in the OP, but I'm 6'5" about 260 (I agree I need to lose 10-15 pounds) and OTR shirts don't work out too well for me because of the length (I use a 37.5" sleeve) and because my shoulders are pretty broad for the rest of my torso, which normally forces me to choose between ill fitting shoulders and tents in the torso.

I got this shirt a few months ago and have worn it a half dozen times with one or two washings thrown in. The pictures were taken after a full day's work and I had ironed it that morning. I'm thinking the wrinkling is due in large part to the cheaper fabric I used for the test shirt.

I live in the Washington DC area and already have an appointment set up for the next time a MyTailor rep comes by the area as was suggested. I'll be sure to bring this shirt along to the fitting.

Thanks again for all the help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads