1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mytailor shirt, measurements are off

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SartorialKing, Sep 6, 2009.

1. SartorialKing

SartorialKing Active Member

I just received a shirt from mytailor.com and the measurements are a bit off from what I entered in the form. I used measurements from another shirt.

Entered Actual
    Neck\t39 \t 39.5
    Chest\t58\t\t 60
    Waist\t51\t\t 53
    Hip\t55\t\t 56
    Shoulder\t48\t\t 50.5
    Left Sleeve/Arm Length\t66\t 66.5\t
    Right Sleeve/Arm Length\t66\t 66.5\t\t\t
    Length\t80\t\t 83.5
    Cuffs circumference\t26\t 27

I have washed it 3 times, 40 degrees C, no tumble dry. Do I need to wash it in 60 degrees and tumble dry for it to shrink to the correct length? I don't usually wash my shirts in 60 degrees C.

Should I be entitled to a new shirt if the shirt doesn't shrink more? I mean, what's the point of paying 100$ for a made to measure shirt if the measurements are off like this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

Yeah, that looks awful. I had the same problem with them the first time around. If you complain, they should at least give you a credit. I recommend just telling them the measurements of the shirt you want, rather than letting them add whatever allowance they feel like.

3. sii1981

sii1981 Well-Known Member

the arms are way too long, they will never shrink short enough.
    im waiting for my first order to arrive myself, but i gave the measurement of a shirt that i already own(with a few adjustment) rather than my body measurement. i hope it comes out ok. how did you find the quality of the shirt apart from the off fit?

4. adambparker

adambparker Senior member

There's just no substitute for being measured in person. Do they not travel anywhere near you?

5. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

I can't tell you what my commercial launderer uses in terms of water temp but one characteristic of all my My Tailor orders is that they seem huge when received but fit exactly as I want after 3 commercial washings and seem to hold that size for some time.

Perry

6. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

The sleeves are a bit long and you seem yo have a bit of extra room in the back as well.

7. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

isnt' that to be expected for a shirt produced by an online tailor - which already will not produce a perfectly specified shirt, in addition to your measures for your body that is not optimal?

fly to Hong Kong and get a shirt measured and made for half the cost. $50 a pop.

8. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

fly to Hong Kong and get a shirt measured and made for half the cost. $50 a pop.

Failed economics class, did you?

9. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

I can't tell you what my commercial launderer uses in terms of water temp but one characteristic of all my My Tailor orders is that they seem huge when received but fit exactly as I want after 3 commercial washings and seem to hold that size for some time. Perry
    This. All of my MyTailor shirts are positively huge when I receive them in the mail, but fit more or less perfectly to my specifications after about 3 commercial launderings. Also, if you're feeling up to it, you could hasten the process yourself by tumble-drying the shirts. Shirts do most of their shrinking in the dryer, not the washer. I know it's considered anathema to tumble-dry dress shirts, but in the case of new Hemrajanis, you pretty much have to. They're basically shrink-to-fit. Annoying? A bit, perhaps. But arguably less annoying than receiving a shirt that fits perfectly right out of the box, then having that shirt shrink on you after a laundering or two. It's a lesser of two evils.

10. Phantom9309

Phantom9309 Senior member

Failed economics class, did you?

LoL

11. SartorialKing

Yeah, that looks awful. I had the same problem with them the first time around. If you complain, they should at least give you a credit. I recommend just telling them the measurements of the shirt you want, rather than letting them add whatever allowance they feel like.

That's what I did, in my post I entered the measurements I wanted and what I got. They are all off.
    I will wash it in 60 C and tumble dry it a couple of times and see how it comes out after that.

12. SartorialKing

the arms are way too long, they will never shrink short enough.
    im waiting for my first order to arrive myself, but i gave the measurement of a shirt that i already own(with a few adjustment) rather than my body measurement. i hope it comes out ok. how did you find the quality of the shirt apart from the off fit?

The fabric is two ply superfine cotton. Poplin I think. It's very soft, a bit difficult to iron and it's not very wrinkle resistant. I will try a twill next time.