1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MyTailor.com vis-a-vis ModernTailor.com

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CruzAzul, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Timeless Fashion

Timeless Fashion Senior member

Pricewise, Nialma and Propercloth and Mytailor seem to be more comparable. I would say ModernTailor competes in the price range of Jantzen since they have shirt specials as low as $29.

2. coltboy75

coltboy75 Senior member

Below is the response I received from the Modern Tailor forum when I posed a questioned concernign their suits. Tell me what you think!!!

#3 (permalink) 12-24-2009, 11:42 PM
    Emma
    Administrator Join Date: Sep 2009

ModernTailor Suit - Fit Guarantee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments.
    If it's your first time to order ModernTailor suit, please order our suit swatches Just put a note that you'd like to order suit swatches so you can have a feel of the material we use.

When you get the suits after a couple of weeks and think that the fit needs alterations, please have it altered in your own local area. Once you have the measurements that you think is perfect for you (as advised by your tailor), then please make another order on our database. We'll send you another suit based on the new measurements you entered for FREE

Emma
    ModernTailor Customer Service

3. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

Wha!?

How can they possibly afford to do that? They don't even alter it for you, just...make you a new one....

4. coltboy75

coltboy75 Senior member

My thoughts exactly. The second should fit better then the first, but even if it needs alternations, how can this deal be beat?!

5. columbia92

columbia92 Well-Known Member

I always get my shirts from moderntailor.com in about 2 weeks..... On the side note.... has anybody noticed that propercloth sell some of the same fabrics on modern tailor for more money and they claimed that their fabric are from Italy and Japan and made in USA while modern tailor makes their clothe in Shanghai and probably source their fabric in China?

6. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

I've found the fabrics in the "executive collection" (the ones that are priced around $100) to be of reasonably high quality. The lower-priced options are pretty iffy.

Even the executive collection can be hit or miss, in my experience. A lot of it's decent, but quite a bit of it is so so. For the extra $15-$30 per shirt, I think the leap up to TM is worth it. But YMMV.

7. badsha

badsha Senior member

I placed my order Nov 12th, 2009 and now its Jan. 13, 2010, 8 weeks and waiting. I ordered 1 green micro twill from executive collection and 1 Thomas Mason gingham. I went in person for measuring. I called and MyTailor CSR said they are expecting a shipment from HK today Jan. 13th. Seems like 1st orders take 10 weeks hah!

8. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

I placed my order Nov 12th, 2009 and now its Jan. 13, 2010, 8 weeks and waiting. I ordered 1 green micro twill from executive collection and 1 Thomas Mason gingham. I went in person for measuring. I called and MyTailor CSR said they are expecting a shipment from HK today Jan. 13th. Seems like 1st orders take 10 weeks hah!

First orders take awhile. Subsequent orders (at least for me) seem to take exactly 8 weeks from time of order placement to final delivery.

9. badsha

badsha Senior member

First orders take awhile. Subsequent orders (at least for me) seem to take exactly 8 weeks from time of order placement to final delivery.

Finally got the shirts in 8 weeks + 1 day. First impressions, eh. Fit was ok and the quality was ok i guess. CEGO fits better. The collar and collars are just right. I was expecting more. Hopefully the shirts will fit nicely after a couple of washings, but im not holding my breath. My JCREW XS fits better right now.

10. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Finally got the shirts in 8 weeks + 1 day. First impressions, eh. Fit was ok and the quality was ok i guess. CEGO fits better. The collar and collars are just right. I was expecting more. Hopefully the shirts will fit nicely after a couple of washings, but im not holding my breath. My JCREW XS fits better right now.

You'll want to wash the shirts two or three times to shrink them down to size. For whatever reason, MyTailor doesn't pre-wash its cotton before sewing the shirt, so you'll need to do it yourself. The shirts will fit somewhat loosely out of the box, but ideally, they'll fit very well after a few wash/dry cycles.

11. columbia92

columbia92 Well-Known Member

I really respect your patience... Lately, many people have been reporting to have moderntailor shirts delivered door to door in 8 or 9 days.

12. Weich77

Weich77 Senior member

One more fan for Modern Tailor
    Great experiences with Modern Tailor, reasonable price and good quality

13. michaelp123

michaelp123 Well-Known Member

Well at least the moderntailor website is up and working.. at this exact moment, mytailor is down. Last night I was having some bizarre issues with their online ordering process -- errors, failure, etc.

14. badsha

badsha Senior member

Well at least the moderntailor website is up and working.. at this exact moment, mytailor is down. Last night I was having some bizarre issues with their online ordering process -- errors, failure, etc.

I have sent them several emails in the past couple of weeks. No response.

15. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

Their website works for me. I've ordered around 18 shirts from My Tailor and they've all arrived in from 3 to 8 weeks, depending on what time of year it is, and how busy they are. And I've always received prompt responses to my emails, but I don't send them a lot of emails.

16. sabvinnie

sabvinnie Senior member

Their website works for me. I've ordered around 18 shirts from My Tailor and they've all arrived in from 3 to 8 weeks, depending on what time of year it is, and how busy they are. And I've always received prompt responses to my emails, but I don't send them a lot of emails.
    3-8 weeks is too long for me to wait for a shirt. I have used Mytailor and moderntailor but communication and timing just bother me. Nialma 4 for 3 works out at $70 a shirt (inc shipping) and they come quickly between 1-2 weeks without fail. Plus communication is spot on. So much time wasting with the others.

17. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

OK, I had the occasion to buy a few more shirts this summer, and used both vendors. I've purchased from both before so they already have my fit. Results:

• MyTailor: Ordered May 4, Shipped July 15, Delivered July 19 = 76 days.
    • ModernTailor: Ordered July 7, Shipped July 9(!), Delivered July 15 = 8 days.

At this point the only thing that keeps MyTailor afloat for me is their selection of mid-priced fabrics for casual shirts. I'm really not interested in planning my shirt needs 2 1/2 months ahead of time.

18. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I could't wait 76 days

I really, really didn't think it was going to take that long; my previous order was 29 days. Also, MyTailor's communication is crap. They didn't answer my first email at all. Days later I finally called the California office; the guy there didn't know anything about the status of my order. On the upside, it sort of feels like Christmas morning if and when your shirts show up, because by then you probably forgot you ever placed the order in the first place.

19. jessis

jessis Senior member

When I first bought shirts tailored online I used Mytailor, but they have got progressively worse with their service, website etc. Now that I have my profile nailed I just choose amongst a few pf the online tailors depending on the fabrics they have.