• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mytailor.com / hemrajani opinions?

Ligament

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just recieved my first shipment from mytailor.com/Hemrajani brothers Hong Kong. My measurements were taken by one of their traveling tailors.

Pretty happy with the fit, especially on a first run. The shirts seem to be of good quality right now, will see how they stand up to washing.

All my special requests were performed correctly.

Anybody else have experience with this firm? Can you compare Hemrajani shirts to Jantzen quality? I still want to try out Jantzen before I "settle" on a shirtmaker.

best.

bern

Reaction score
I find the construction quality of both Hemrajani and Jantzen to be similar: both make some small mistakes once in a while on the shirt measurements. Hemrajani is more pricey but has the advantage of better service (i.e. hemrajani can ship you tons of shirt samples for free and you can choose from them instead of trying to guess how it will look like from the jantzen website pics -- plus, the delivery time is less these days for mytailor.com).

bern

Ligament

Reaction score
bern, how many shirts do you own from hemrajani and jantzen? Wonder what your sample size is in comparing quality of construction.

Would you recommend I bother with Jantzen if quality really is similar?

thanks.

regularjoe

Reaction score
I have four shirts from Hemrajani and three from Jantzen.

MyTailor has far better customer service and their web site interface is much more sophisticated and comprehensible. However, they are nearly 3x the price for fabrics comparable to Jantzen (80s two ply at MyTailor starts at $65, the 100s and 120s are closer to $100-$125).

The construction is the same IMO. MyTailor does not do side gussets, but they single needle, pattern match, have MOP buttons (extra $$$ for thick), and whatnot. They have a nice touch with brass collar stays as well.

bern

Reaction score
bern, how many shirts do you own from hemrajani and jantzen? Wonder what your sample size is in comparing quality of construction.

Would you recommend I bother with Jantzen if quality really is similar?

thanks.
I own 5 from Hemrajani and 3 from Jantzen: so far, my experience has been that the construction quality is about the same. Pretty good, but not perfect. Would I recommend Hemrajani or Jantzen? If you're looking for lots of shirts with lots of different fabrics, then I'd say Jantzen is the way to go: I visited the shop in Hong Kong in April, and went through the shirt fabric samples. They have so many great ones, and charge less than half the price that Hemrajani charges for similar quality. Chances are that after ordering 10+ shirts from Jantzen, probably more than half will turn out to be with excellent fabric.. And the others can still be worn for a casual look.

But, again, Jantzen's customer service is so, so bad.. It can be stressful at times.

bern

brescd01

Reaction score
I wanted to establish a support group for Jantzen anxiety, but after I received my delivery of four shirts (with which I was satisfied, the shirts fit very well), I just decided it wasn't worth it. I spend 120 dollars/shirt (or spent, I will not be buying any for a while) for RTW Barba or an obscure brand called Giam Paulo which is very similar. I think that if I had access to Jantzen fabric swatches, I might feel differently.

MPS

Reaction score
I wanted to establish a support group for Jantzen anxiety, but after I received my delivery of four shirts (with which I was satisfied, the shirts fit very well), I just decided it wasn't worth it. I spend 120 dollars/shirt (or spent, I will not be buying any for a while) for RTW Barba or an obscure brand called Giam Paulo which is very similar. I think that if I had access to Jantzen fabric swatches, I might feel differently.
I think you need CBT for your anxiety re. Jantzen.

joseanes

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a Barba shirt on Ebay for $120. It will be $140 once I pay for shipping and sleeve shortening. My question is: what would be a better choice- buying a Barba shirt online like this that probably won't fit perfectly, or having a HK tailor such as ww chan make one probably for less? If Barba is much better construction, then the extra money may be worth it. But how much better than one of the HK MTM guys?
The custom one will probably fit better, asuming the meassurements are right (maybe on the 2nd iteration of shirt ordering). Given the fact it takes about 2 months to get a www.MyTailor.com or www.WWChan.com shirt, or 6 months for a www.jantzentailor.com shirt, this could take a long time. The price would be about the same when you consider shipping, customs duty, and any errors you may make along the way on meassurements. On the other hand, the Barba shirt from eBay arrives in two weeks - instant gratification from a manufacturer that I guess you trust a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads