• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MySuitShop/RavisTailor/MyCustomTailor Suit?

epic raccoon

Reaction score
I desperately need a cheap MTM suit (OTR simply just doesn't fit me at all) and these guys seem like the cheapest choice; their classic suits start at just $200 for the basics.

However, after searching SF through and through, I can't seem to find any definitive ruling on these guys. There are many posts supporting and bashing these MTM sites, but probably a good 80% of those posts are made by users with less than 10-20 total posts, which leads me to wonder if they're real experiences at all. In addition, hardly any of the posters give any details about their order--what they chose, how it fit, what problems they had, etc.

OTR is simply not a choice for me. Armholes are way too big on 99% of coats, I have a small waist but large thighs (29" waist, but most OTR pants are too tight for me in the thighs), among other things.

Could any SFers post the experiences they've had with these online MTM makers, and provide details (i.e. what options you chose, what exactly went wrong, what you would suggest, etc).

My preferences are as follows:
Single breasted two-button
3" notch lapel
100% wool (120s charcoal)
Ticket pocket
Side vents
Very fitted (I am a 38 S with a 29" waist and 5'7")
Light shoulder padding
Flat front slightly low rise trousers

cglex

Reaction score
My son has dimensions similar to yours. The BB essentials program fit fine. He too wears about a 29" waist, but went with 32" pants, taken in at the waist and let out a bit in the seat. You probably are accustomed to wearing your pants too low and not on the waist. He is also a 39 or 38 short.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't do it!!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You would probably be better off spending the extra to go with Thick As Thieves or Steven Aver.

My Ravistailor suit is okay, but you get what you pay for. When it first arrived the waist of the trousers was 27" even though the measurement I had given for my waist was 29". When emailed they denied that they could possibly have made such a mistake. They did still offer to fix it but it was much easier for me to pay a local alterations tailor than to send the trousers back to Thailand.

Also recently the stitching of the lining of one of the inside pockets has come undone, so my iPod keeps falling through down the hem of the jacket
bored.gif

Still, if you are hard for OTR to fit (this is the case for me), and you cannot afford more than $200, there aren't many other options. Just don't expect miracles...

epic raccoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
You would probably be better off spending the extra to go with Thick As Thieves or Steven Aver.

My Ravistailor suit is okay, but you get what you pay for. When it first arrived the waist of the trousers was 27" even though the measurement I had given for my waist was 29". When emailed they denied that they could possibly have made such a mistake. They did still offer to fix it but it was much easier for me to pay a local alterations tailor than to send the trousers back to Thailand.

Also recently the stitching of the lining of one of the inside pockets has come undone, so my iPod keeps falling through down the hem of the jacket
bored.gif

Still, if you are hard for OTR to fit (this is the case for me), and you cannot afford more than $200, there aren't many other options. Just don't expect miracles...

I would much rather go TaT, which I've had my eye on since I joined SF. I just feel I need some cheaper suits first before I shell out $500 for one, as I would feel uneasy wearing it in certain circumstances (I can be rather clumsy). If I could find a <$200 OTR suit that would fit me well, I would pick that over cheap MTM in a heartbeat, but unfortunately that is not the case.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been frequenting these clothing fora just about evey day for well over five years now. Threads like this come up with some regularity. In all that time I cannot recall anyone ever having expressed real satisfaction with a suit procured in this manner, i.e., by sending self-measurements to an offshore tailor. Never!

epic raccoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I have been frequenting these clothing fora just about evey day for well over five years now. Threads like this come up with some regularity. In all that time I cannot recall anyone ever having expressed real satisfaction with a suit procured in this manner, i.e., by sending self-measurements to an offshore tailor. Never!

It's entirely understandable, but considering my alternatives (poorly fitting and uncomfortable OTR), I feel that taking the risk is more worth it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
so did you ever take the plunge?

and have you already thrown the rag away?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics