• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mystery Budapest Shoemaker

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Multiple variables use to go into the price for Vass shoes.
Upcharge for cordovan
Upcharge for F or U last
Upcharge if you made a boot

For a U.S. based customer like me, one thing I liked about dealing with Gabor is that he gave one price...and it covered everything, shipping, shoe trees, custom fees....unlike other shoe companies that gave you one price, but then you had to add all of the above variables to provide yet another "final" higher price.

I currently hate the value of the euro as my dollar is being raped in the currency exchange market...although PayPal provides some friendly conversion rates

By the way, Gabor won't be offering the shoes via ebay...for now, he'll deal with folks via e-mail

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Thus Vass is not the ONLY Hungarian shoe maker to transition to these newer lasts...his own homegrown competitors are upping their game to meet the needs of the international cogneseti

wtf, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl

yea you let him have it!!
boxing[1].gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
yea you let him have it!!
boxing[1].gif

you are not running in this competition
fight[1].gif

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These look like Vass, is supposedly made like Vass, and is priced the same as Vass. I thought there is enough trouble generating sufficient demand for Vass in the US as is, what is the point of bringing these guys out of Budapest?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is Tom..
boxing[1].gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you are not running in this competition
fight[1].gif

hahaha too glad! i'd take a pinch of red powder over these things!!!
devil.gif

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Said the **** neanderthalensis, when he given the choice to become a **** sapiens.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
These look like Vass, is supposedly made like Vass, and is priced the same as Vass. I thought there is enough trouble generating sufficient demand for Vass in the US as is, what is the point of bringing these guys out of Budapest?
Is that a rethorical question? Obviously, the Vass market has become too competitive and GH is finding other products on which he can be exclusive - or at least face less competition. Something every sensible businessman would do when faced with increased competitive pressure.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Is that a rethorical question? Obviously, the Vass market has become too competitive

??? Who are the competition???
confused.gif

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
??? Who are the competition???
confused.gif

I guess GDL meant that there are now multiple sources that supplies Vass outside of Hungary and there fore GH, being the sensible businessman that he is, has pursued a different maker of a similar shoe. My question is more on the demand side of things. If the current demand for Vass has already been met by the existing suppliers, what is the point of offering a virtually identical product at the same price? there is no longer any market share left for the new supplier to capture, that doesn't make a lot of business sense to me.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are correct that there needs to be some differentiation to attract those who would normally buy Vass to this unknown mystery hungarian bespoke shoemaker (UMHBS). We're all waiting to hear what that differentiation may be - and it doesn't have to be price.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
I guess GDL meant that there are now multiple sources that supplies Vass outside of Hungary and there fore GH, being the sensible businessman that he is, has pursued a different maker of a similar shoe. My question is more on the demand side of things. If the current demand for Vass has already been met by the existing suppliers, what is the point of offering a virtually identical product at the same price? there is no longer any market share left for the new supplier to capture, that doesn't make a lot of business sense to me.

Oh I see.
However it is infinitely puzzling to me why anyone who is frequenting this forum would ever order VASS from anyone other than Eva Vass.

I can see some sort of MTM service being offered with wider range of lasts and more consistent fit for those who cannot fit into RTW VASS (I would be first to admit that U-last is a very narrow last).

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never used Eva since Gabor was the closest Vass seller to my home. It helped that he met me in person and I was able to try on a Budapester in my size and look at the U and F last shoes (whichi I ordered). Further transactions were done by e-mail and PayPal.

Does Eva Vass communicate via e-mail and in English? For those who don't have their Vass last sizing down...does she send shoes/boots for sizing purposes?

Just ordering directly from the shoe manufacturer, without a middle person is nice, but unless sizing is nailed down and the manufacturer has an easy way to peronally-electronically deal with...is just outright risky. Too many Vass shoes have been resold, at a loss, because the buyers played a guessing game out of sizing.

This is why I became a customer of Gaziano & Girling over 2 years ago. They visited my city, measured me and made recommendations as to the sizing of their RTW/MTO shoes. The first order worked out well and I'm still their customer

Likewise, Ron Rider has a proven system by mailing out boots/shoes within my size range and I eventually opted for one which fit well.

I hope Gabor's venture is able to properly address the above concerns and to provide a product which can differentiate itself from others made out of Hungary. If not, as some have noted, why bother to gambe with a shoe maker with an unproven track record. By unproven I mean, no one else has a shoe made by them to comment

Omega Man

Reaction score
Let me take a wild guess on this mystery Budapest Shoemaker.
Quote from Germany's ebay "Sandor Kiss is beside Vass and Dinkelacker a less well-known manufacturer of nevertheless qualitatively high-quality shoes from Budapest."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads