• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mystery Brooks Brothers Suit on Rue La La?

RLitt

Reaction score
I just bought two suits on Ru La La, one Golden Fleece Fitzgerald and another that was advertised as "full canvas" construction but not as a Golden Fleece and the cut wasn't listed either. The suits arrived today and I can tell the mystery suit is fully canvassed but it doesn't have the golden fleece tags. Any ideas on what exactly the story is on this suit?

mystry613

Reaction score
Would you have a picture of the white garment tags in the pants or the jacket? Use can use that to determine the manufacturer, probably Greenfield or Southwick. Plus, it may help me decide whether I should order one. :)

RLitt

Reaction score
I don't have a picture but the label in the pants is just a navy blue label that "Brooks Brothers Established 1818" in white cursive. The tag in the jacket says "made in the USA of imported fabric". I'll try to get a picture tomorrow and post it.

By the way, how you can tell by the tags where it was manufactured?

RLitt

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will check the tags in the morning and post an update.

RLitt

Reaction score
It is definitely the Southwick tag but there is no fabric tag, nor any tag delineating the line and cut of the suit. Interestingly enough though you can definitely feel it is full canvas construction. Any ideas?

mystry613

Reaction score
I don't own any Golden Fleece myself, as I generally prefer Black Fleece. So, others would be able to better answer the question. There's been discussion in other threads as to re-tagged GF suits. I certainly would prefer a Greenfield product. Not sure whether I should order the suit for myself, since $600 seems to be a good price, but not a steal. I believe I have read speculation that some GF suits running around at discount shops may be the recalled Southwick ones (from last year I think), but I don't know whether this is true, whether GF suits were available at places like Rue La La prior to the recall, and when this suit was manufactured. If it feels and fits good, I think that's what's important, though. :)

RLitt

Reaction score
Thanks. The suit feels good and will fit good after some minor alterations. I had to have a couple of work suits quickly so I think it'll work out well. I appreciate the info.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done a couple of posts on the GF suits that could be found at Marshalls a while back. Clearly Southwick-made golden fleece. The neck tag was a golden fleece tag and the suits even had the inside tag that said "handmade." But the inner "golden fleece" tags had all been removed - you could still see the square on the lining where the stitching was removed. But pretty much a no-brainer at $200.

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2011/09/strange-happenings-at-marshalls.html

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2012/07/more-strange-happenings-at-marshalls.html

magreen

Reaction score
Hi everyone. First post.

I need advice on which Brooks Brothers suit is better, a de-labeled/recalled/liquidated/mystery Southwick Golden Fleece, or a proper 1818 for $50 more. I bought them both on Rue La La and only plan to keep one.

1) The de-labeled Golden Fleece is full canvas, navy with a subtle pinstripe. It's definitely one of the Southwick-made ones, like the one described in the uptowndandy posts above. Tag at the neck says Hand Tailored in USA of Imported Fabric; inside breast says Luxury Fabrics by Cavendish, Made in England; tag towards bottom says Full Canvas. The white tag says "Professional Dry CleanOnly, Low Moisture Steam Press" and looks just like this Southwick one: http://www.styleforum.net/t/243159/when-is-the-next-brooks-brothers-sale/2625#post_5771855. But the main label just says "Brooks Brothers Established 1818."

I paid $450.

2) The second appears to be a proper 1818 Madison suit, in solid navy. Picture of label:

I paid $500 ($50 more than the delabeled GF).

They seem to both fit me ok. I think the delabeled GF fits a tad better, the pants at least. I'm going to take the one I keep to a proper tailor to have it fitted.

I need to return one--which would you keep? I would think a full canvas (for $50 less) is a better deal than the half canvas 1818. OTOH, solid navy (the 1818) is nice, and appears to be less common to find on sale from my limited experience sale hunting. And I'm not sure if these delabeled/recalled GFs are really of GF quality or not. Whereas the 1818 seems to be (correct me if I'm wrong!) a proper 1818, not a recalled or irregular item, so it might be of better overall quality.

Any advice? Thanks!

Edit: I just realized there may something more important that makes my decision easy. I'm building a new wardrobe, and am new at this. My other suit is a charcoal with a subtle pinstripe. From reading around, it seems I should start my wardrobe with a solid (navy), not a pinstripe. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads