• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Myspace

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For those of you not in the know, MySpace is a blog/networking tool used mostly by teenagers for annoying and superficial purposes. Furthermore, the web design is terrible. Visit it at myspace.com.

My question is, however, how other professionals view this kind of service. It seems like it has great potential as an easy networking/stay-in-touch kind of tool. If only I could get past my initial dislike of the type of people who popularized it, I could see it being a boon in the future.

I know a few people who use it for business purposes, not to meet girls or be "popular" online. My question is, have any of you folks used it for purposes other than getting laid or partying? Is there room for a professional niche on MySpace akin to networking in real life? To clarify, I am by no means aiming to replace old-fashioned face to face networking with the online equivalent, just considering adding it to the repertoire. Thoughts and experiences?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MySpace for business purposes is a bad idea. Regardless of how professionally your message is presented, it is tainted by association with all the baggage MySpace brings to the equation. Unless, of course, the demographic to which you wish to market your goods and/or services is of the type that frequents said site.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
MySpace for business purposes is a bad idea. Regardless of how professionally your message is presented, it is tainted by association with all the baggage MySpace brings to the equation. Unless, of course, the demographic to which you wish to market your goods and/or services is of the type that frequents said site.

I'm sorry, let me clarify. I wasn't considering using it as a marketing or distributing tool, but more as a networking tool between myself and other working professionals as individuals. Do you still feel the same about it?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the people you want to talk to habituate MySpace, then by all means use the site. Be prepared, however, to be lumped with all other MySpace users, which I think is not a particularly business-like segment of the population.

Reaction score
::cough::

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW - Unless you're in the entertainment industry, I would say that MySpace is useless for professional networking.

But there are lots of pictures of hot babes
smile.gif
For an overview, check out this thread on the Bodybuilding.com forums...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=792746

tsloop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
FWIW - Unless you're in the entertainment industry, I would say that MySpace is useless for professional networking.

But there are lots of pictures of hot babes
smile.gif
For an overview, check out this thread on the Bodybuilding.com forums...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=792746

lol, thats one thread I always check out when I'm over on the misc forum.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It works well for those in the music / entertainment industry because it is an easy way to showcase your comedy, music, etc to millions of people and build a fanbase. Better yet...it's free.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think a professional version of Myspace is a great idea. To keep it professional though, it would need brutal moderation, I think.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
I believe LinkedIn is more "professionally" oriented than myspace. It isn't meant for marketing/selling to others, but has more options oriented towards professionals networking. It'd be worth a look, from what I've heard.

I just graduated college, so Facebook is fine with me... but personally, if I met someone over 30 or 35 who was on myspace, I'd think they're a paedophile or something.

mbc

Reaction score
There have been many professionally-oriented networking sites in the past. One of the largest: http://www.ryze.com

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't friendster more of an adult / professional site? I've never been on it but I've heard things...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads