• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mycutomtailor??????

sartorially senseless

Reaction score
YES, another thread about online tailors! Thank you to those that read further.

What I am looking for is a suit or suits that can double for both work and the bar/lounge. I'm thinking a two button (maybe even 1), side vent, regular/narrow lapels, flat front pants, 4 button (working) cuff, slim (paul smith) fit, pick-stitched pockets and lapels. Debating canvas. I want to start out with solid colors in more of a "workhorse" fabric over luxurious, then move to more "adventurous suit" colors.

I don't want to drop major coin, so I am looking at something around the $300 shipped marker. I can fit 42L almost right off the rack (sleeves shortened slightly) but cant find the details that I am looking for at a reasonable price (especially price vs quality trade off)....THUS I am considering <b>mycutomtailor.com</b>.

For those with experience do you think this is the best approach for my needs.

Regards

ss

sartorially senseless

Reaction score
couple quick tid bits of info...im 23 and work in a business casual environment, so the suit will be worn sans tie most of the time

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything custom at a $300 price point is not going to turn out as you would hope. As for mycustomtailor.com, do a search for &quot;ravis tailor&quot;. It's the same outfit.

sartorially senseless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Anything custom at a $300 price point is not going to turn out as you would hope. As for mycustomtailor.com, do a search for "ravis tailor". It's the same outfit.

yah ive read mixed reviews about ravis on here and ask andy. anyways, thanks for the input! anyone else?

Michael1981

Reaction score
How is there quality compared to Jantzen? I've always wondered what sets Jantzen apart from all the others in the eyes of those here on styleforum. I have used Jantzen and had a very good experience..but this is given the fact I have just started wearing dress shirts recently.

Because they are roughly the same price point, there website is more easy to navigate, and if they have quality on par with Jantzen it would be a no brainer..and if there quality is not at the same level, why can't they step up?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quality is not even close to Jantzen. Why can't they &quot;step up?&quot; I doubt they really need to do that as they don't really compete with Jantzen.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
The quality is not even close to Jantzen. Why can't they "step up?" I doubt they really need to do that as they don't really compete with Jantzen.
Also, a quick glance suggests they're a bit more expensive than Jantzen (especially with the shipping factored in), have far fewer fabric options, etc.

Michael1981

Reaction score
Forgive me if my question seems silly but is there anyone in NA or even HK that can compete with Jantzen in quality and price?

What about at a slightly higher pricepoint? Does anyone exist in NA? Surely many on the board would pay a slight premium to have quicker turn around and better customer service. Having to wonder if and when your order will arrive is not good business IMO.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having had things made by both Jantzen and Ravis, I can tell you that given two shirts at the same price point, Jantzen makes a much better one. I haven't had Ravis' top of the line suit made, and I'm not going to. At that price point, I'd rather get Jantzen or step up a bit and get Chan.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael1981
Forgive me if my question seems silly but is there anyone in NA or even HK that can compete with Jantzen in quality and price?

What about at a slightly higher pricepoint? Does anyone exist in NA? Surely many on the board would pay a slight premium to have quicker turn around and better customer service. Having to wonder if and when your order will arrive is not good business IMO.

At one point luk-cha believed he could find a Chinese tailor who could match or exceed Jantzen in quality/price with better customer service. Last post I saw he was still looking into it but didn't have anything definitive.
A lot depends, of course, on what constitutes a "slightly higher" pricepoint in your mind.

sartorially senseless

Reaction score
thanks for the many repsonse, but i must ask "how the hell did you guys manage to make this a jantzen thread?"

i just want to know if the suits around the 300 price mark are wearable to work doubling as a suit for the bar/lounge.

crazy, jantzen must be on the mind

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chan shirts are at least the equal of Jantzen shirts although they are more expensive.

gj555

Reaction score
Have your measurements taken by a local tailor. Don't try and measure yourself. You should probably order from the Ravistailor website (prices include shipping and end up being better than his other identical websites). I have only purchased a shirt from them and never a suit. But, past posts actually showing a Ravis suit looked nice but the keyhole button hole in the lapel made it look cheap. So, make sure you ask for the correct lapel button hole.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
there was an awesome looking Ravi suit posted over at Fedora Lounge a while back. I linked it from here, Ill dig around and see if I can find it for you

edit - got it

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of particular note in that thread is Tiger's post:

http://styleforum.net/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=14

The bottom line is that you will get what you pay for. The garment will not be in the same class as a Savile Row garment or even a Chan garment. If those are your expectations, you will be fine and will be able to get a garment with all the unusual details you prefer.

dan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads