• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my wife is mad at me :(

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a dream of being financially sound enough to do a lot of things that realistically will never happen. I don't think I am alone in that.
One of my unrealistic life "hope-it-happenses" is to go to Antarctica and kill a penguin. I realise that conserable expense would be required to do this and it will probably never happen. I just want a penguin head mounted on my wall and a pair of penguin shoes.
My wife thinks that killing a penguin is barbaric and terrible. She doesn't have a problem with me wanting to hunt regular game, just interesting animals. (Note: I don't presently hunt, I just would like to. I don't have the money right now to buy a rifle or the ability to get the time off work to hunt.) She says that penguins are cute and innocent like babies, and that makes it not okay to hunt them. She also says that since penguins have such a rough life, I shouldn't kill one. She bases her opinion on the movie March of the Penguins. I haven't seen the movie, but I have seen Bambi, and it doesn't make hunting deer wrong.
She also asked what would happen if everyone killed a penguin. I replied that they don't because it's freaking cold and it would be expensive and they don't care enough. I just want to be the only guy I know with a pair of penguin shoes.
I really want to stick to my guns on this issue. We've been married for 7 months now, and I know that in a marriage you have to give and take, and compromise, and we do that. But I think I have to draw a line in the sand here and say that there is nothing wrong with hunting a penguin.
Any thoughts on this?

Frittata

Reaction score
you are kidding
lol8[1].gif

fatty

Reaction score
I've been to antarctica. Penguins are quite cool and sure, some species are quite abundant down there.

They're protected species, and you are unlikely to be able to bring a gun onto protected soil in Antarctica. So, do laws and the environment mean much to you? If they don't, why kill a penguin when you can hunt whales? =P

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To quote Dale Carnegie:

You cannot win an argument. You can't because if you lose it, you lose it; and if you win it, you lose it. Why? Well suppose you triumph over the other man and shoot his argument full of holes and prove that he is non compos mentis. Then what? You will feel fine. But what about him? You have made him feel inferior. You have hurt his pride. He will resent your triumph.

And now Ben Franklin:

If you argue and rankle and contradict, you may achieve a victory sometimes; but it will be an empty victory because you will never get your opponent's good will.

And now my advice. At this point, there is no need to convince your wife that it is ok to kill a penguin. You've admitted yourself that a trip to Antartica is an unlikey occurance. As a result, there is no need to create any tension over this. Please do not continue this bantering because in the short term, you'll have a better relationship with your wife, and in the long term, who knows! Perhaps your wife will have a change of heart in the years to come once the movie, March of the Penguins, is not so fresh in her mind.

Frittata

Reaction score
"You cannot win an argument. You can't because if you lose it, you lose it; and if you win it, you lose it. Why? Well suppose you triumph over the other man and shoot his argument full of holes and prove that he is non compos mentis. Then what? You will feel fine. But what about him? You have made him feel inferior. You have hurt his pride. He will resent your triumph."
boxing[1].gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/Issue...ture_full.html "Oh, yes, Mr. Ted Nugent is my good friend," he relates, casually. "We hunt penguin together. I cook for his family many time. The Nuge have a really big kitchen." "Wait a sec, you hunted penguin with Ted Nugent?" I exclaim, trying to process this information. "Ted 'Cat Scratch Fever' Nugent, the guy who raises buffalo and turns it into jerky?" "Sure, why not?" Yamamoto replies. "He a good shot with bow and arrow. But I like use rifle. Quicker. More precise. Look, he give me this gun." "Nuge kinda crazy," says Yamamoto. "In Japanese, they say 'kuru-kuru-paa.' You see that film March of the Penguins? Remember how mother go get food to eat, then walk a long way back to ice where father keep nest? We lie on slope, fire on mother penguin as they walk back. Nuge, he shoot flaming arrow at one penguin, and scare many away. Penguin explode, they have so much oil in body. He run down and eat it right there, while still on arrow! He can't wait, he so hungry for penguin."

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Antarctica is too far away. Go to Newfoundland, club a few baby seals and make your wife a nice set of earmuffs.

She'll be forever yours.

lefty

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I think the problem is that you're the one getting the shoes--offer her a pair!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
""One day I hope I can cook whole Mexcan," sighs Yamamoto. "Maybe baby Mexcan that mother sell to me. Then I make for my good friend Jon Kyl. I know Senator will like to eat Mexcan. He only like Mexcan when on his dinner plate."
It is completely fictitious, yes, but a wonderful read nevertheless.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does your 'wish' have more to do w/ traveling to Antarctica and the thrill of the hunt? Or do you just want to kill one, mount head & make shoes? I suppose you could get one for your wife as a pet and then kill (poison? stab? I wouldn't club it b/c you'd F/U the trophy) it when she's not around. Tell her it wandered off and that your new shoes are ostrich (and padlock the room where the head is mounted). Even with the cost of the lock you'd still save a lot of money....

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
It is completely fictitious, yes, but a wonderful read nevertheless.

Agreed, it's funny as can be!

What fooled me was a link to The Houston Press, which is a liberal weekly here, that's pretty good, but doesn't do wild satire like this article.

BTW: I've Emailed it to 4 friends! Work is slow?

Back to original post:

Pennglock, why are you making a big thing about penguin meat? It tastes exactly like chicken!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Troll hunting is much more fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics