• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Westons are *trying* to kill me!!!!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today, a rainy day in Freedom, I slipped on my Weston Savile 574s to run some errands. They're leathersoled, but I figured that having worn them and broken them in I wouldn't have serious issues walking around. Well, I slipped and fell on the stairs in the metro, slipped and had to catch myself in the street, and kept feeling the soles were very slippery walking around. This hasn;t been the case with other leather-soled shoes I've worn in the rain (Green, Trickers, C&J) -- has anyone else been betrayed by their Westons?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJMan
Today, a rainy day in Freedom, I slipped on my Weston Savile 574s to run some errands. They're leathersoled, but I figured that having worn them and broken them in I wouldn't have serious issues walking around. Well, I slipped and fell on the stairs in the metro, slipped and had to catch myself in the street, and kept feeling the soles were very slippery walking around. This hasn;t been the case with other leather-soled shoes I've worn in the rain (Green, Trickers, C&J) -- has anyone else been betrayed by their Westons?

Oui RJman. The ultra-high gloss waxed floors in my building and Weston's almost sent me headlong down a flight of stairs. I haven't worn any of my Westons since.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have as well. I was going down the stairs at the Union Square Garage in San Francisco and slipped down a half flight. Thankfully, I landed on my feet.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not Westons, but I'm convinced my Harris' have turned on me. Too many near spills to count.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What amazed me was just how much more slippery they felt than any other leather-soled shoes. When wearing other leather-soled shoes in wet weather, I'll avout walking on things that are slick, like metal gratings. With the Westons, I could feel slipperiness walking on normal flat surfaces, as if I was hydroplaning. Maybe some treatment in the soles?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What amazed me was just how much more slippery they felt than any other leather-soled shoes. When wearing other leather-soled shoes in wet weather, I'll avout walking on things that are slick, like metal gratings. With the Westons, I could feel slipperiness walking on normal flat surfaces, as if I was hydroplaning. Maybe some treatment in the soles?

My problem has always been with the hard metal toe taps that they have. I don't know if they exist on the Savile line. I love my Chasse Westons, but I sound like a tap dance when I wear them inside, and on slick surfaces, I often slip if I catch the metal toe on the ground.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have your Westons taken any life insurance policies out on you of late, RJMan? Might want to check, just to play it safe....
sly.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
My problem has always been with the hard metal toe taps that they have. I don't know if they exist on the Savile line. I love my Chasse Westons, but I sound like a tap dance when I wear them inside, and on slick surfaces, I often slip if I catch the metal toe on the ground.

I never thought about it Matt, but all my Westons also have the metal toe plate. BTW, I completely agree on the noise factor.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You should wear rubber soled shoes in the rain. That's what I do.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
I have never had this problem wearing shoes as long as they have a rubber heel or heel insert. But I have experienced a number of all leather shoes with soles and heels that are the devil to walk around in. On asphalt no problem but on slick floors you have to walk very carefully.

Some shoes can be so bad that if you stop suddenly and make a turn you would be on the floor it was like trying to walk on ball bearings. I had a pair of Florsheims that were especially evil. They had this piece of metal inserted into the heel to keep wear down which offered zero traction. I finally had the heels changed over to rubber now no problem. At one time, I even considered writing to Florsheim and complaining about how dangerous these shoes were.

I would wonder if anyone has ever been seriously injured by his shoes?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
RJ - if you had stayed in the US you could sue your own footwear. or at least take out a restraining order keeping them 500 feet from your two feet.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I suspect foul play. Per chance, have you been hanging around non-working, English shirt wearing, car-burning protestors as of late?

devil.gif

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads