1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

My weird sartorial weekend

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Montrachet, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Montrachet

Montrachet Senior Member

I stopped in at Brooks Brothers to have a look at these shoes. I asked the SA if they were made by C&J or AS. He said neither and explained Brooks Brothers owns the Peal & Co. name and makes shoes themselves to Peal & Co's original specifications. Huh? What?

Then I went across the street to Ralph Lauren to have a look at this coat, since I read it was possible to get it with the traditional velvet collar. The SA there claimed to not have one in stock, but said if I ordered online, to be sure I sized up if I was going to wear it over a suit. I was under the impression that dress overcoat sizes took into account that you'd be wearing them over a suit and you should buy one listed as the same size as your suit jacket. Am I wrong about that? Or is this just because Black Label is cut slimmer than normal?

2. ld111134

ld111134 Distinguished Member

Was this at Brooks Brothers' Mag Mile store? The SAs don't seem to be as knowledgable as the folks who work at the Rookery store. I have those exact same shoes and they're made by Crockett & Jones.

3. dsgNYC

dsgNYC Senior Member

I don't understand what's weird about any of this.

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Distinguished Member

It differs for overcoats, but with Black Label, I'd definitely size up if you intend to wear a suit under it.

5. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

6. NOBD

NOBD Distinguished Member

I stopped in at Brooks Brothers to have a look at these shoes. I asked the SA if they were made by C&J or AS. He said neither and explained Brooks Brothers owns the Peal & Co. name and makes shoes themselves to Peal & Co's original specifications. Huh? What?

They look a lot like my C&J Grosvenors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Montrachet

Montrachet Senior Member

Yep. This was at the Mag Mile store. I think I'll avoid that one in the future when possible. Thanks for the pics NOBD, I think I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on these during the post-Thanksgiving sales apocalypse.

8. JayJay

JayJay Stylish Dinosaur

Yep. This was at the Mag Mile store. I think I'll avoid that one in the future when possible.
    I've had good experiences there.

9. teddieriley

teddieriley Distinguished Member

+1. [​IMG]

10. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Agreed. When I click open a thread titled "My weird sartorial weekend," I'm expecting stories about ayahuasca trips deep in the Peruvian rainforest, followed by waking up in a desert just outside of Reno, suddenly wearing a bespoke three-piece fashioned from the feathers of a bald eagle, slain in mid-flight by the author with his bare hands.

11. Montrachet

Montrachet Senior Member

Agreed. When I click open a thread titled "My weird sartorial weekend," I'm expecting stories about ayahuasca trips deep in the Peruvian rainforest, followed by waking up in a desert just outside of Reno, suddenly wearing a bespoke three-piece fashioned from the feathers of a bald eagle, slain in mid-flight by the author with his bare hands.

Oh yeah. That happened as well. Sorry, it looks like I forgot to mention it in my original post. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

12. marc237

marc237 Distinguished Member

God, I just hate when that happens. Lately, I have taken to drinking fewer Manhattans.

13. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Distinguished Member

Oh yeah. That happened as well. Sorry, it looks like I forgot to mention it in my original post. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

well played.

14. kortex

kortex Well-Known Member

Those shoes are hot. I don't think I have any clothes that would go well with them though.

15. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

[​IMG]

LOL. Well done, sir. I hope you remembered to eat the eagle's brain in order to gain its knowledge.