• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Wedding Rig - Any Suggestions?

Pseudosyco

Reaction score
He Everyone, I will be getting married next May, and over the last few months I've been piecing together a morning suit (of sorts). I've long admired the style and tradition of it - my fianceÃ
00a9.png
is American, and I think she assumed I would be wearing my DJ, but she likes the morning dress better now she has seen it (though she wants me to wear an Ascot, which I vetoed). Anyway, I know this isn't a traditional style - the grey morning suit is fine as this is an early summer wedding (IMO), but obviously the buff waistcoat makes it neither a morning suit nor the traditional black coat/grey stripes. I have a matching grey waistcoat, but it is an ill fitting backless affair, and the double breasted buff waistcoat is nice enough (to me) to justify the lack of orthodoxy. Likewise, a red tie isn't 'proper', but my silver houndstooth tie gets washed out with all the grey. Anyway, I don't want to presume that anyone would want to waste their time on the first post of a noob, but I would really value any suggestions anyone has on: Fit - any tailoring suggestions (I have had none so far, this is off the peg) Shirt/Tie Accessories Anything else! I am wearing: Black Loake Oxfords A grey wool morning suit I bought from a secondhand shop (people have gasped at my suggestion of wearing secondhand to my own wedding, but it is in really very good condition) blue stripe shirt with white collar and cuffs red RenÃ
00a9.png
Chagal tie Hackett DB buff waistcoat Thurston Braces (not that anyone can see them) I will also be wearing my pearl tie tack, though I have temporarily lost it Thanks for any suggestions! p.s. the last pic is with a white shirt and burgundy tie, which I also like - also the pic from the back looks very odd - I don't know why

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so will you have time to cobble together an outfit for the rest of your wedding party?

Pseudosyco

Reaction score
Oh yes I forgot to mention - most other people will be in lounge suits, with maybe one or two others in morning dress.
I certainly won't be requiring it on the invitation!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, well, you're doing far better than the standard. I would say that I hate the contrasting collar/cuffs shirt. Way too business. The waistcoat I am not sure of on account of the color (though it is beautiful).

~ Huntsman

brlfvr

Reaction score
I think the fit is very good especially getting it second hand. I would get the grey waistcoat altered and where that. Although the colors are all complimentary the overall effect isn't very sharp. I think the grey waistcoat and the burgandy tie would be very nice.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last picture looks the best. My instinct is that continuing to subtract colors will improve the look. Remember that your job on the day is to complement your wife. Take a photo with the silver tie, and find a black and white Macclesfield if you can.

The buff waistcoat is a little country squire, but let's fix the tie first and see if you can continue to get away with it.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ditch the gecko shirt, unless you're going for the Bateman-look.
Unsure about the waistcoat.
The red tie is too much. Black, silver and/or white. Shepherd's check, houndstooth, macclesfield.

Pseudosyco

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I will get some pics up with silver tie/different waistcoat/shirt as soon as possible

John Ellis

Reaction score
Grey morning suits do NOT have a contrasting waistcoat it should be the same color as the suit. Contrasting waistcoats of grey or buff are ONLY worn with black morning coats. The contrasiting shirt body and collar as a concept is fine only this one doesn't work. Basically the problem is the shirt body is way too loud, if you want a contrast you should get a thickish pin striped bodied shirt with a white collar only not cuffs which should be striped as shirt.

Pseudosyco

Reaction score
As I said, I know that the waistcoat throws the whole thing off the charts in terms of convention, but I find it hard to resist - although, as has been mentioned, there is a 'country squire' feel which perhaps isn't so appropriate.

Regarding the shirt - I think I am edging towards a plain white shirt now, especially given what has been said.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In an instance like this, the suit is "vintage" - NOT "second hand"! There is a difference.

While morning suits usually have a matching waistcoat, I don't mind the extra bit of contrast. When everything matches, it looks a bit bland:

prince-charles-wedding-of-laura-parker-bowles-and-harry-lopes-fFNe3Q.jpg

However, that waistcoat looks dove grey to me rather than a yellowish tan colour (buff). A proper buff coloured linen waistcoat would work better, and less like you are trying to pass off another grey waistcoat to replace a missing matching one. This is what a buff coloured linen waistcoat (for summer) looks like:

dresscoat181520larkstongn9.jpg

Since you have to have a contrasting coloured waistcoat, you might like to also consider cream or even lavender for a wedding, and flaunt a bit of charmingly unorthodox contrast. I have even come across one reference talking about a (white) cotton pique waistcoat - cut for morning wear, not as an evening waistcoat. That too is for summer. For winter I would suggest a cream coloured flannel.

If you do have a lighter coloured fancy waistcoat (there is an old tradition of these with morning dress), you will have to tone the shirt and tie down to compensate. In other words, the shirt will have to be white and the tie a plain solid, such as silver.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know about what's 'correct', but the waistcoat is a problem for its lack of contrast with your jacket; they clash. Also, your tie is too strong. I'd go with something less bold-- black and white macclesfield is a good suggestion.

Pseudosyco

Reaction score
Here is the suit with both wedding tie and matching waistcoat. Would have posted earlier, but was busy preparing a thesis. Would be extremely grateful for any comments (as to how the compares with the previous attempt principally, but in general also).

Sorry about the quality of the photos, my usual photographer wasn't available. All is as I was before, apart from the tie tack, which I have now found (obviously). Stupidly, I forgot to take a picture of the jacket unbuttoned, as it is then when the baggyness of the grey waistcoat becomes most apparent.

Thanks in advance.

Degendorff

Reaction score
IMO your wedding tie is too plain and too light a grey. I'd like something darker better, for example a black four in hand tie with white, grey or silver churchill dots. Something like this:

VJWS05434_001m.jpg

A buff double breasted linen waistcoat would be perfect and would be better than a grey morning suit with a different grey waistcoat, IMO.

BTW, you look very good already in your morning coat!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads