• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My War on the word Metrosexual

damonallan

Reaction score
I'm looking for support and I think I can find it here with you guys...hopefully.

I recently wrote an article. I am attaching it here for your read. Comments?

metrosexual (met.roh.SEK.shoo.ul) n. An urban male with a strong aesthetic sense who spends a great deal of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle.
"”metrosexuality n.

Evolution of the idiotic "Word"
The origin of the "word" traces back to a 1200 article titled "Here come the mirror men", published on November 15, 1994 in The Independent (British Daily) and was written by Mark Simpson. Following Mark Simpson's use of the term in a Salon.com article entitled "Meet the metrosexual" (July 22, 2002), there was a sudden growth in the popularity and usage of the term to describe the phenomena whose typicality is expressed brashly by Simpson as, "...a young man with money to spend, living in or within easy reach of a metropolis "” because that's where all the best shops, clubs, gyms and hairdressers are."

Ok, give me a break! Since when did men need a word to categorize themselves. It pains me to hear that people actually are embracing the "label". In this article, I am not only declaring war on the word but I am outright banning its usage in my presence. Being a dapper man that I am, I take great pride in looking and feeling my best. That might mean going to the gym or treating myself to a cut in a salon or even pampering myself with clothing now and again and again. Truth be told, I am not a metrosexual. In fact, no one is.

Let me take the time to explain human beings to my faithful readers. There are men and there are women. Men and women vary in terms of their personality, looks and a whole whack of other things. I think we respect each other for who we are and value our distinct nature. That is the beauty of life; it's nice to be different and be recognized as unique. We do what we want to do. Now a little bit about men specifically. Sure there are grungy men and there are those that are "average" and then there are those that take great pride in not only looking good but take great care of themselves. Some men choose to be this way. That sounds fine with me.

People often call me a metrosexual and I of course cringe and warn them not to use the word around me again. I tell them that there is no such thing as a metrosexual. They then try to define it; I cringe again and walk away. Don't get me wrong. There are men actually walking out there that call themselves metrosexuals. They're just misguided. It's not their fault.
The media loves to oversentionalize things and loves to label people or groups so to keep things interesting and make money. This makes me sick to the point of staying away from some media outlets. Men don't need lifestyle labels. We need to be appreciated for who we are and the choices we make. If some of us like to get a manicure now and again, then that's out perogative. If we want to go out and treat ourselves to a wonderful 3 piece tasmanian wool pinstripe suit that has a soft hand, then so be it. Or how about taking our time trying on many different colours of cashmere sweaters in order to find the best colour for us? What type of man is that?
I think back to the days of Cary Grant, Fred Astair, Frank Sinatra and so many others that were very much into fashion, getting a nice cut at the salon or barber shop and loved a good manicure. I know that all of these icons are rolling in their graves when the get a wiff of this word being used. Try calling them a metrosexual back then. They would be offered you up a knuckle sandwhich for lunch.

The problem is that we are losing our own identities to media outlets who like to clump us in one pile. All I'm trying to say is that men of this nature don't need a label nor should they be described as being "one" by the general public. I am very much fearful for other like-minded men that might go into hiding as to avoid this stereo type. Oh ya, wait and see. One of your friends will stop saying he's going shopping for himself or to the salon. He might instead say that he's going to grab a beer and a bite to eat or catch a ball game at his brother's house. Shame. Shame I say.

If people want to go around throwing these labels in the wrong direction, they ought to be very careful. Me and the other boys who care about themselves enough might turn on you with a label. Truth be told, I wish more and more men were like this. Men should care a heck of a lot more about what they wear and how they wear it. They should care more about their bodies and the its aesthetics.

In order to celebrate the war against metrosexualism, I encourage everyman to go out there are learn more about clothing and how it fits him. I want everyman to take his time when buying clothes so that he chooses colours in clothing that is best for him. I want men to join gyms or get personal trainers and go to aesthetic studios for a manicure and dare I say pedicure. Why do I want to see this? Because men need to start caring more about themselves and yes pamper themselves with some of the neat, not so expensive things in life. Back in the day, a lot more men were like this. We have unfortunately become complacent and have fallen to average. I challenge every man to be exceptional. And if the man reading this doesn't care about being exceptional, it doesn't bother me. I won't be labeling you unmetro or something silly like that. The word only came about because men were tired of being complacent or normal. They decided to get to a higher level of personal satisfaction. Moreover they found style. Yes style. The media had nothing better else to do then label those men.

I want the great men from a great era to rest in peace. Let's not disturb them or me for that matter with jibberish. I am a man and hear me roar damn it!

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need a copy editor.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I call myself a sartorialist, which makes far better sense as a word and was coined by someone who actually is one himself. Take that!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I call myself a sartorialist, which makes far better sense as a word and was coined by someone who actually is one himself. Take that!
What, is a, Sartorialist?

Is it like a, collectivist?

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
"In order to celebrate the war against metrosexualism, I encourage everyman to go out there are learn more about clothing and how it fits him. I want everyman to take his time when buying clothes so that he chooses colours in clothing that is best for him. I want men to join gyms or get personal trainers and go to aesthetic studios for a manicure and dare I say pedicure. Why do I want to see this? Because men need to start caring more about themselves and yes pamper themselves with some of the neat, not so expensive things in life."

This is like celebrating the War on Drugs by spending your weekend in an opium den. I suggest you just stand up at the next AA meeting (get it?) and say "I am Damonallen, and I'm a Metrosexual".

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's a post-ironic quixotic adventure.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to live in Washington, DC. I never had sex on the subway. Therefore, I do not consider myself a "Metrosexual," regardless of what people say about my style of dress and grooming.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't even heard that word in ages. Why bring it up?

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What, is a, Sartorialist?

Is it like a, collectivist?

From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sartorial:

Of or relating to a tailor, tailoring, or tailored clothing: sartorial elegance.
It comes from the Italian sartoria, which literally means a tailor. When one labels themself a sartorialist, they are calling themselves wearers of fine clothes basically. Clothes that are tailored, etc.

damonallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
You need a copy editor.

I should have mentioned that it has not been edited by the copy editor yet. Thanks.

It was what I had submitted on the fly.

damonallan

Reaction score
By the way, I don't spend my time bashing the word. It was a tonue-in-cheek off the cuff.

I'm happy to have shared it with you. Not sure about the beating the dead horse. I haven't heard enough backlash up here in Canada...

Thanks for reading it. Thought you might get a kick out of it. The Dude and like and whatever language I used was intentional...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads