1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My visit to Steed Tailors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Sep 10, 2013.

1. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Ms. Willis is easily the most attractive business owner in all of London.

I had a good chat to her for about an hour. Absolutely lovely. Great eye for detail.

2. apropos

apropos Senior member

Great writeup. Thank you.

And worth a repost...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  3. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

From that angle, it's almost like the sign reads: Steed iGents Bespoke Tailors.

Which would not be untrue.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    6 people like this.
  4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I didn't notice that... That is hilarious.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sir Royston

Sir Royston Well-Known Member

I really like the sounds (and look) here.. Must pay them a visit

6. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Lovely write-up! Thanks for taking the time to do so. I guess I'll post a few photos here of some of the work Edwin and Matthew of Steed have done for me in recent years. They really do a wonderful job and they care - which is not something to underestimate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  7. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have my new one on today for the first time. It is good overall, though I think it could use a tweak on the right side. Not till the spring, though.

8. andreyb2

andreyb2 Senior member

Slewfoot, a lovely selection of suits and coats.

Andrey

9. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Is a 3 button jacket a staple for Steed, or more of a request Slewfoot?

10. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Thanks guys. I'm not sure if Steed has a default in that regard. I usually just request it. Although my incoming sportcoat is a single button which should be fun.

11. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Slewfoot why don't you commission anything else from ww chan? I thought they did you justice in terms of a double breasted suit.

12. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

They did / do, but I have not been to Hong Kong in a while. My business took me there once a season a few years ago, but not so much anymore unfortunately. Hope to get there again at some point!

13. greger

greger Senior member

slewfoot,

So many of your SB have problems where they are buttoned. Actually the problem is somewhere else but shows up there. This is a problem the tailor should have dealt with and gotten rid of.

It is interesting how narrow the overlap is on the DB, an older style (1920s).

The craftsmanship is fairly nice.

14. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

For my benefit, can you explain the problem you see?

1 person likes this.
  15. greger

greger Senior member

Could be several things. One it looks like the waist line is lower than the button stance, that might have something to do with it. The fluting aims towards the shoulders, so shorten the back or add up there at the front shoulder. Straightening or crooking the shoulder might take care of the problem. If he sways his hips forward then the coat needs more room in front and less at the sides. With a skeleton baste these can be figured out quickly. Sure there are other reasons why and don't remember off hand at present. Some tailors are really good, but none are perfect. When not perfect he should have worked out the details. Leaving errors on the back of one or two coats is one thing, but never the front which everybody is going to see.

16. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

greger,

I know what you are referring to around the buttoning point. Truth be told, I never notice it when I actually wear the coats. Occasionally if I have the coat buttoned and look in the mirror I may see it a bit, but trust me that this is a case where the photograph makes it look worse. I think a big reason though is that most all of these photos were of the coat within a few days of it being shipped over and taken out of the box. I should probably give them more time before taking any pictures.

The final photo of the blue herringbone tweed I've had since last winter and took the photo a few weeks ago and that shows the least amount of shirring around the buttonhole. I don't think that's a coincidence. And to further the point of breaking in and photos being deceptive, here is a photo Matthew took of me at my recent fitting where I wore my tweed suit that day. Just about no shirring here (and yes my right shirt sleeve is long on this shirt for whatever reason).

[​IMG]

17. quar

quar Senior member

18. greger

greger Senior member

That looks much better. People do have different postures through out the day too which can change the fit. And as you say coming out of a box.... And, as Thomas Mahon said, a tailored coat is somewhat fluid (heard that from my granddad, first over 50 years ago). Your coat maker has a good reputation.

19. HenryAstonBespo

HenryAstonBespo Member

Lovely Tailoring. Great reputation in the industry.

20. hrv123

hrv123 Senior member

Sorry to revive the thread , but does anyone know how I can get a hold of them besides from the email listed on their website? I've been trying to get a hold of them for the past week. Are they on SF?