• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
che piccola parola, "hot". Ed anche povera. (Grazie, Sig. Belragazzo)

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed my meeting with Mina, DIno and Marco today. I was supposed to pick up a navy suit and get fitted for my brown herringbone jacket.

The fit of the suit pants was amazing. These are easily the best fitting pants I've ever tried on (including better than my Ambrosi pants that I wore today to the appointment). The jacket looked great and Mina had made it longer than my last jacket as requested. The only problem was that the fit was tight as I raised my arms out in front. Mina tried some "tweaks" but it was decided that she would take it back with her to adjust it.

My herringbone jacket looked better than I imagined. I had asked her to make it "long and relaxed" like a country jacket. And, it was. My only disappointment is that I want it now! ......Oh well, it will be worth the wait.

Here is the back of the herringbone in brown and ivory

A close up of the fabric and the finalists for a coordinating tie.

Click on the photos for a larger image.

Last edited:

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ PSguy, is that herringbone from one of Mina's books? How heavy is it?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

^ PSguy, is that herringbone from one of Mina's books? How heavy is it?

Yes, it was a book she brought along in July. Not sure of the weight. It has bulk but isn't heavy like a Harris Tweed. It is a wool and cashmere blend that feels like a cozy blanket.

When I selected this, I had in mind photos of Gary Cooper and Davis Niven in the 40's. They wore jackets made of thick, lofty fabric with larger scale herringbone or patterns. I imagined this to be something from that golden era of Hollywood or for hunting truffles in the country.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks good, I bet she said that in Naples, it would be used for an overcoat. I'll try to look it up, I like the big herring.

Exin

Reaction score
Great herringbone! I commissioned a similar jacket from the Sherry Kash book

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
When you guys commision your suits and jackets, do you strike them with a bottle of bubbly?

:confused:

"I christen thee, 'Horse Blanket Victory!"

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I bet she said that in Naples, it would be used for an overcoat.

No, she didn't bring it up. But I was thinking that. Many older overcoats in the US had a larger scale herringbone, usually in charcoal. I was really smitten by the rich color (and it looks richer IRL. Think coffee bean brown and antique ivory/cream)

I had seen pics from the 40's using large scale HB on jackets. These larger scale patterns also remind me of vintage fabrics from the French countryside. Arny's Paris offers them as a fabric option on their architect jackets. To me it is a nice change from the standard small scale Harris tweed "Not that there is anything wrong with that " :)

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NSM jacket, pants, Hamilton shirt, wool tie from some place in Florence.

blackstone

Reaction score
I off to Napoli for New Years.
Anyone have recommendations of any shops I have to visit?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Meant to post this earlier:

I was in London last month and wore my NSM coat while visiting one of the largest SR names for a fitting. The cutter was very impressed, astonished even, by the quality of NSM's construction. He freely admitted that handstitching of that extent and quality was unavailable on Savile Row. Understandbly, while he liked the fit, the styling was not to his taste ("our friends at Andersons would perhaps appreciate it more"). And he nearly keeled over when I told him the price.

So for those of you are sitting on the sidelines, don't let concerns on the quality of construction hold you back.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads