my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

It looks good. I would say, if you want to tone it down, just ditch the vest. I hate seeing belt buckle below a vest anyway and think Neapolitan suits nearly always look better without a vest anyway.

The styling is classic Naples, and the Naples fad may (eventually) pass but it's been around for at least 15 years already and even if it does, who cares, there will still be regional style variation and your suit will be fine.

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

also, with your very sloped shoulders, I think you should get a smaller shirt collar (and a bit lower lapel gorge). You seem to have a long neck, which typcially means a taller shirt is needed but given your shoulders, I don't like the way the suit frames the shirt collar, makes you look giraffe like.

3. Lear

Lear Senior member

also, with your very sloped shoulders, I think you should get a smaller shirt collar (and a bit lower lapel gorge). You seem to have a long neck, which typcially means a taller shirt is needed but given your shoulders, I don't like the way the suit frames the shirt collar, makes you look giraffe like.

Sorry ,I wasn't clear. It isn't me in the pic. Think more David Mellor or Andrew Lloyd Webber. However, the suit is from Napoli Su Misura.

4. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Sorry ,I wasn't clear. It isn't me in the pic. Think more David Mellor or Andrew Lloyd Webber. However, the suit is from Napoli Su Misura.

Uh, I thought you looked a lot like medtech_expat [​IMG] I think that suit/cut/fabric is fine for the regular bloke, I would just keep in mind the gorge/sloped shoulders thing. It's the only thing that I would change from my NSM stuff, she did a slightly lower gorge one for me and it is perfect. My sloped shoulders make the gorge look higher than it is. When you see Mina, you'll have a bunch of options on fabrics, when in doubt, go for a solid navy or grey. In terms of styling, just tell her you want something a bit more conservative than the very stylized Napoli cut she prefers, I think you will be very happy with NSM.

5. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

The low-cut waist band and the vest are a bad match. Also, the ticket pocket and cuff buttons look sufficiently different from standard London styling that they will always stick out in a crowd. But it's a good suit.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly where their style would fit in my wardrobe. I'm thinking perhaps slightly casual things like linen suits. Also, if you went with only one button on the jacket cuff, it could work well with tweed jackets or even black tie. Dinner jackets can be a little sporty.

6. A Y

A Y Senior member

Perhaps this is just the English-tailored crowd opining, but I also don't like the belt below the vest look. For some reason that cheapens the look. I think you're best off doing a 2-piece suit with that style.

--Andre

7. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Perhaps this is just the English-tailored crowd opining, but I also don't like the belt below the vest look. For some reason that cheapens the look. I think you're best off doing a 2-piece suit with that style.

--Andre

Or just having a much higher rise - something I've been particularly enjoying recently.

8. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

funny reactions to this photo...

ed your initial comments were right
    gorge should be lower
    and a lot of things on this coat
    in this photo
    makes the wearer 'giraffe like'

and this is a case where some shoulder padding
    would help the extreme slope

9. NickPollica

NickPollica Senior member Affiliate Vendor

and this is a case where some shoulder padding would help the extreme slope
    Shoulder padding has never helped anybody.

10. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

Shoulder padding has never helped anybody.

That's true, it is possible to get almost any degree of sloping right with cutting technique.

11. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Anyone know if Mina has mentioned her upcoming NY dates yet?

12. AntonioG

AntonioG Well-Known Member

I think around July 11...def after the holiday.

13. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Anyone know if Mina has mentioned her upcoming NY dates yet?
    I think it is 7/9-7/11

14. Lear

Lear Senior member

Thanks for all the thoughts (won't quote). Agree with never wearing a belt with waistcoat. The model/poser in the pic looks a bit too macho and bulked up to me, but this could be due to his stance. Can't explain why I like the softer Napoli cut... I just do. The finer points of tailoring are simply too overwhelming for me to fully fathom.

Manton and Edmorel, thanks for the tips. No idea what medtech_expat looks like, most of his pics have vanished off SF. Would be keen to see more pics of NSM being worn though.

Lear

15. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Thanks for all the thoughts (won't quote). Agree with never wearing a belt with waistcoat. The model/poser in the pic looks a bit too macho and bulked up to me, but this could be due to his stance. Can't explain why I like the softer Napoli cut... I just do. The finer points of tailoring are simply too overwhelming for me to fully fathom.

Manton and Edmorel, thanks for the tips. No idea what medtech_expat looks like, most of his pics have vanished off SF. Would be keen to see more pics of NSM being worn though.

Lear

In medtech's absence, I'll speak up. The photo does no justice to the wearer, who is neither bulked up nor a giraffe. Everything you see is attributable to the stance.

And as to the imageshack problem - if you care to, you can see any picture by quoting the post and pasting the link into your address bar. It's laborious, I know, but it's worth it.