1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Oct 31, 2010.

1. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

How is the mohair mixture in weight? How appropriate might it be for the summer? I like the peak lapels -- might have Mina do one for myself in coming times; they look more restrained than I expected, did you specifically request this?

I think the fabric should be good with the exception of July & August in NYC. There is an 8oz version which I'm considering once I gain more familiarity with the cloth, although I believe that one has only 5% mohair (still quite wrinkle resistant, as it kept springing back in my palm). As for the peak lapels, those are her design as I didn't request anything specifically. We'll get a much better feel for it during the forward, but I'm encouraged.

Did you request slightly roped shoulders on the 2 recent garments? I've been digging roped shoulders recently, and am curious to see how your garments turn out! Very nice silhouette on both garments; the peak lapels are a nice touch on the blue suit.

Thank you. There is zero padding in the shoulders, and while they may appear roped in the pics they are in fact not. The shoulders on both the jackets will be coming in by about 1 cm.

You're getting your suit fully lined, right? Then no worries about the scratchiness. I like mohair alot.

I hadn't actually given thought to lining. My coats thus far have been quarter-lined, and as for the trousers I had the chance to tool around in them for a few hours and didn't mind how the fabric felt against the skin. This could be a perfect travel suit.

That is when she is supposed to return to San Francisco.

Yep, should be in April, dates TBD. Parker and I were planning to introduce them to some proper Chinese food...

Medtech - I'm the guy that came in with my brother and his son to give Mina our fabric during your friend's appointment (excuse us again for interrupting). This thread is actually what led us to NSM so thank you for all of the detailed feedback you've let here. We are both really excited about our first commissions.

No worries. If fact, it should be I apologizing to you as I was simply loitering and going through the fabric books. I'd be interested to see how your basted fittings go. Please post some pics so we get more variety beyond the usual suspects in this thread (myself included). [​IMG]

Love it. May I ask, what's the cost of the fabric?

Thank you. Will need to get back to you regarding this fabric specifically; generally, her pricing on fabric has been quite modest. She is also working to expand her offerings from other English makes.

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I saw the pics of medtech and would have thought he was a professional model (the sort you'd see in Leon or Mens Ex) if I didn't know better.

he looks even better irl.

3. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

Here are some detail shots of my brushed cotton trousers. Up until now, I've been so focused on nailing down fit that (ironically) I hadn't paid too much attention to construction and handwork. Am really liking these pants. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Hans Cater

Hans Cater Senior member

nice jacket but that pizza looks mediocre so I'm not impressed.

Yeah me neither, I mean it's Italy, the pizza should be hmm......

Well anyways the Jacket look splendid. At least that is a success.

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Parker and I were planning to introduce them to some proper Chinese food...

Great idea! Hopefully you and I will have a chance to meet as well.

6. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Here are some detail shots of my brushed cotton trousers. Up until now, I've been so focused on nailing down fit that (ironically) I hadn't paid too much attention to construction and handwork. Am really liking these pants.

Show us the fit, tough guy.

7. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Thank you. Will need to get back to you regarding this fabric specifically; generally, her pricing on fabric has been quite modest.

Thanks. Looking forward.

8. GusW

You know, this is really a really nice shade of brown. You could wear it year-round and is more interesting than khaki.

[​IMG]

9. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

You know, this is really a really nice shade of brown. You could wear it year-round and is more interesting than khaki.

+1

I was just thinking the same thing. I really like this color.

-LR

10. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Email Mina - info@napolisumisura.com

Prices (excluding fabric) -

Jacket EUR 1200
    Pants 300
    Vest 300

What's Mina's price for shirts (excluding fabric)?

11. Lightbringer

Lightbringer Senior member

I think the fabric should be good with the exception of July & August in NYC. There is an 8oz version which I'm considering once I gain more familiarity with the cloth, although I believe that one has only 5% mohair (still quite wrinkle resistant, as it kept springing back in my palm). As for the peak lapels, those are her design as I didn't request anything specifically. We'll get a much better feel for it during the forward, but I'm encouraged.

Medtech, thanks for your advice. I come from Singapore so I am fearful that this still might be a no-go for regular use. I will investigate the 8oz version though! I like the peak lapels, they are actually more restrained than I expected.

12. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nice new stuff, E. You're on a roll. The brown cotton would make a killer suit.

13. noxlord

noxlord Active Member

Here are some detail shots of my brushed cotton trousers. Up until now, I've been so focused on nailing down fit that (ironically) I hadn't paid too much attention to construction and handwork. Am really liking these pants.

Those pants are outright gorgeous. [​IMG] NSM is clearly at the top of their game.

14. Stylistix

Stylistix Active Member

So I had final adjustments to my 3-piece Loro Piana PoW this evening, and I have to state that Mina and Sr. Antonio have really raised the bar with what I can only describe as a fucking bang-on, next-level garment. While I'm still a bespoke novice, I can't see how either fit or aesthetics can be meaningfully improved from here. Am too tired and need to crash, so will provide details on mods from my previous commissions tomorrow, including a "reveal" which should be of great interest to NSM clients...

[​IMG]

How many buttons should the vest show, with the jacket buttoned (2nd button) in a 3-piece? For that matter, how much of the vest should be seen, above the jackets 'V' opening?

How high should the vest be, relative to say the man's neck/chest/collarbone etc? The vest is supposed to be fitted across the body, is all I know (number of buttons, back fabric type being preference).

Some threads here mention one button, but I've always thought it looked better with the vest 'showing' more (as is the case here), with a higher vest buttoning point.

15. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm hardly an expert on this, but I'd tend to favor a true 3-button (especially since such a soft jacket will roll down anyway). That would leave 1--1.5 buttons on the vest showing.

Nice clothes, though. I hope Mina's crew does as well for me.

16. Butler

Butler Senior member

How many buttons should the vest show, with the jacket buttoned (2nd button) in a 3-piece? For that matter, how much of the vest should be seen, above the jackets 'V' opening?

How high should the vest be, relative to say the man's neck/chest/collarbone etc? The vest is supposed to be fitted across the body, is all I know (number of buttons, back fabric type being preference).

Some threads here mention one button, but I've always thought it looked better with the vest 'showing' more (as is the case here), with a higher vest buttoning point.

There are no rules, it is a question of personal preference of high high you like your waistcoat cut.

I like mine on the high side, which one used to do, nowadays "fashion" tends to favour a lower cut!

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

17. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Can't believe I missed this thread. OP has some srsly awesome suits, and more importantly, shared the experiences. Makes me sad I missed Mina when she came to SF.

18. Stylistix

Stylistix Active Member

There are no rules, it is a question of personal preference of high high you like your waistcoat cut.

I like mine on the high side, which one used to do, nowadays "fashion" tends to favour a lower cut!

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So there are no rules as to how many buttons should be showing above the jacket opening as well?

Im surprised this hasn't been debated - how much the vest shows above the opening very much affects the overall look.

Personally, I like the higher cut, and think it makes the NSM suit look that much better.

19. GusW

Don't be sad...she returns in April with my jacket for the first fitting [​IMG]

You should meet her the next time she is in town.

Can't believe I missed this thread. OP has some srsly awesome suits, and more importantly, shared the experiences. Makes me sad I missed Mina when she came to SF.

20. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Don't be sad...she returns in April with my jacket for the first fitting [​IMG]

You should meet her the next time she is in town.

I thought she was visiting SF in March, and NYC / Boston in April.