• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did anyone ever clear up the shoulder issue with Mina?

Yes, it is an issue. Please, somebody, have her fix it. Not that hard.

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Quote:
I would def go with the brown horn - I think the smoked MOPs are best for odd jackets.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

D,

I posted this for suggestions on good taste, but did not get much traction. It's not cigar linen, (maybe maduro linen?) but gives you some ideas what horn looks like. Not sure if it helps much.

Would also like to get your thoughts on my suit, what you think is the best choice.

Top button by far.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It depends on how casual you want the suit to be. Contrasting buttons mark it as distinctly casual, which can be a good or bad things, depending on your goal. One advantage to a more casual summer suit with contrasting buttons is that the jacket can easily be worn alone and not look orphaned. For the same reason, I'd get it with patch pockets. All my summer suits have them.

Now, about those shoulders. Someone please fix them on your next order.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I agree with them. MOP buttons are for sportcoats in my mind. You are getting a suit made, I would stick to the proper matchiness of buttons even if it is linen.

I would def go with the brown horn - I think the smoked MOPs are best for odd jackets.

I also prefer matching buttons with suits.

Does it change your guys' mind if I say I plan to wear this jacket as an odd jacket often?

It depends on how casual you want the suit to be. Contrasting buttons mark it as distinctly casual, which can be a good or bad things, depending on your goal. One advantage to a more casual summer suit with contrasting buttons is that the jacket can easily be worn alone and not look orphaned. For the same reason, I'd get it with patch pockets. All my summer suits have them.

That was my thinking. I also have mine with two patches at the hips, and a barchetta at the breast.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great, I'm glad we have the color of the buttons sorted out.

Now somebody PLEASE fix the fucked up shoulders.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does it change your guys' mind if I say I plan to wear this jacket as an odd jacket often?
That was my thinking. I also have mine with two patches at the hips, and a barchetta at the breast.

I think the combination of linen and patch pockets are good enough to signal an odd jacket. Contrast buttons are a little too stark on a suit.

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
Do you've a picture of your jacket, dieworkwear? We'll advise you better if we know the exact shade of the linen.
As it's, I'd go with the brown horn.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Do you've a picture of your jacket, dieworkwear? We'll advise you better if we know the exact shade of the linen.
As it's, I'd go with the brown horn.

Mine is the top swatch here

Which is what I think Eddie has as well for this suit.

Trio of W. Bill linen, SB 3R2
tobacco: barchetta, flapped pockets, ticket pocket
blue: barchetta, patch pockets
khaki: all patch pockets
note: jackets to be lengthened 1-2cm, sleeves by 1cm to account for wrinkling at elbow, minor adjustments to back

b2a31972.jpg

c4618d64.jpg

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the combination of linen and patch pockets are good enough to signal an odd jacket. Contrast buttons are a little too stark on a suit.

+1. I have a Zegna MTM beige linen suit whose jacket I often wear as an odd jacket. In contrast to yours (dieworkwear's), it has besom pockets, but the linen itself is enough to make it not look suity. I tend to think of suity jackets as things that use obviously suiting cloths (eg. worsted, dark, pinstripes and other fine texture or detail). Even then, doesn't the term odd jacket come from suits whose pants have worn out, so the jackets are worn by themselves?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads