• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To come back to pagoda shoulders for a moment, if it's 'true' there's no convexity/(concavity if you want)..? That was quite the particular and deciding feature about it I thought (and that's what I was told by various tailors in Italy, Germany and UK (and the latter two always saying this style should be left to the Italians, although they did it right the last time in ca.1978 according to one :D...)).
The curvature is even semantically included in the naming of that shoulder treatment (pagoda, insellata) if I am not mistaken, (except in German where the term I always heard to describe was just a reference to some of the technical requirements to construct it ).

I have this picture of the back of mine (which is so-so to show what I mean), but I don't find picture of the front (this is not super traditional btw. as the Neapolitan dandy would wear it extremely tight, much tighter than non-insellata shoulders, to help emphasize the curvature effect, but that's quite uncomfortable. However, the, greater shoulder width makes it also more difficult to achieve that effect).

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Too me that is too extreme. It reminds me of the power suits women would wear in the 80's.

G

Griffindork

Cravate Noire - I think that shoulder looks fantastic. Who is the tailor?

Last edited by a moderator:

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of all this high-waisted business, I am having a bear of a time finding (quality) briefs that aren't cut to sit just barely over the hips. This is so unpleasant if your pants are 3 inches higher. Any suggested brands to look at?

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Too me that is too extreme. It reminds me of the power suits women would wear in the 80's.

That is what it is about: eccentricity (it is obviously a very contoversial style/contrusction feature)... I will try to find historic pictures of how it was worn originally by the 'persone particolare' in Italy in the 30s and 40s (and then you have the UK revival in the 70s again of course, but these pictures are well known).

I wore this suit 3 times btw. and even don't have it with me where I live now. I think of redoing something with a more 'traditional' Italian, (tight) pagoda shoulder.

Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit late to the game but as - as far as I know - the only one who has gotten down with both Mariano and Mina...

The deltoid bump is less pronounced on a 'Nacci because they use more padding (i know, i know - it's not padding; it's wadding!!!1!!)

The bump at the end of the shoulder and into the sleevehead is partially due to how the seam allowance is folded / stitched or at least that's my guess since the slope increases exactly where the seam allowance starts.

My pet theory is that the slope will decrease with time. All NSMs Ive seen are newish (aside from Ed's and his don't have this as much) and haven't had time to settle. Also, Mina's not so gentle tugging on the sleeves seems aimed at bringing down the bump at the end (cue awkward pun).

If people haven't moved on, I'm happy to post some potentially illustrative photos later.

Last edited:

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We will never move on, so please post your illustrations. I didn't know you used Rubinacci, was it a one off thing?

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that NSM jacket, the one on the bottom, is an outlier relative to the others I have. It was my first, and it's my favorite.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer the Rubinacci for its length and the line of the lapels. The NsM, as with many of their SBs, has a more aggressive "V" shape. Don't know if it's literally the width of the lapels, the height of the notches, the shape of the belly, the location of the waist button, or the alignment of the pattern of the cloth, but Rubinacci appears to be more discreet and relaxed.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Rubi looks excellent there.

Yeah it does. The NSM is a bit too short, and the shaping is a little less elegant. Interesting that CoolPapa like it better than his other NSM, as I feel like I've seen other, better jackets from them in this thread.

Of course, this is nitpicking and I'd be happy to wear either of those jackets, so I suppose I should just stop talking.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads