1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hand pressing I can understand, but washing? The commercial presses do ruin shirts. But the washers don't, not in my experience.

2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I'm pretty sure my hatred of ironing has paid my dry cleaners' kids through college...

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I spent more money on dry cleaning when I was in college than I have since I have been out. The extra time doing things myself saves the anxiety that would bloom when inspecting my just picked up garments.

4. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Lucky – all the Manhattan cleaners charge 2.5-3.0x for hand-wash.

5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

My shirts are machine washed and then hung and pressed. The only shirts that seemed to take poorly to this we're the ones I got from Lachter, which I attribute to the Turkish cotton he suggested I try.

1 person likes this.
  6. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

There's a cleaner in Boston that will do an "in-house" service for shirts involving cold washing, and then hand ironing. For the most part, it does no harm.

If I want to be sure about committing no harm and maybe even doing some good, I send to Rave Fabricare. But that's maybe once a year when I feel energetic, or when the collars are looking a little grubby.

7. MrChris

MrChris Senior member

I was given the same advice but due to laziness I tried the most delicate handwash program on my machine followed by hang drying the shirts, so far after 3-4 washes I haven't noticed any negative effect.
    I've used the same method on all my shirts throughout the years, bespoke, MTM as well as RTW without noticing any damage.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  8. johanm

johanm Senior member

Do you guys actually have bad experiences with commercial laundry, or are you just not willing to take the risk? All my shirts get the standard wash/press treatment from the neighborhood laundry, and I've never had any problems. Most are 140/2 and 170/2 poplin, and some have been washed 30+ times.

9. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I used to send my shirts out. Sending out seemed a little rough on them, but not so terrible that I was willing to do them all myself.

10. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I machine wash on delicate and use those mesh laundry bags, only because I worry (from past experience) that my buttons will chip from hitting the drum during the cycle.

11. patrickBOOTH

I throw in some towels, which helps keep the arms from getting too tangled. Old Kabbaz trick.

1 person likes this.
  12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks for that tip, pB. That shit drives me nuts.

2 people like this.
  13. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

Most fine shirting would be better off washed by hand, in any case should avoid commercial lounderers due to the thrust action and for similar reasons top loading washing machines are not ideal.

So get yourself a Miele front loading washing machine, pre-threat by hand with a bar of Marsille soap on collar, underarms and cuffs edges, soak in a bucket overnight, then put in laundry nets, delicate cycle and reduce spinning option if applicable, then on hangers to dry and iron when still damp.

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

NGTFAT

Ain't nobody got time for all that

3 people like this.
  15. patrickBOOTH

If you have the time for all of that, but not the funds to have a personal laundress I suggest you get a fucking job.

3 people like this.
  16. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

This sort of luxury good does not sound very luxurious.

1 person likes this.
  17. marcodalondra

Are you talking to me? No need to use F words...

Many artisanal shirtmakers (with hand details) would tell you it is better to was by hand, also because rough processing fine shirting is difficult to take out of the fabric.

The process I listed does not take to much time and have you heard of domestic helpers? £9-10 per hours , two consecutive day per week and they deal with your home cleaning and laundry/ironing, but still you want them to make it the way I explained.

Where is the point in spending thousands of dollars on fine shirts to have cheap commercial laundry ruining them... It must be an American thing, as even in the UK, people that spend money on their clothing would have domestic helpers....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  18. patrickBOOTH

Domestic helper? You mean, like a wife?

19. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

This is essentially what I do, except the ironing I usually do in the morning. People rarely launder shirts commercially in Australia. The time it takes me to take them there and then pick them up again is the same amount of time it takes to wash them, and the shirts are all the better for it.

20. marcodalondra

In Italy we call them "Assistenti Domestiche", here in UK the service may be covered by domestic cleaning companies, but you need to specify the service needed. I am sure you can get them in USA. The odd day I may need to , I can do it myself or my wife can do it as we know what to do, and when we may change the person coming over, we re able to "train" them on how to handle those shirts, but there is no way I would send my bespoke shirts to a corner laundry at £1.50-2.50 per shirt to have them ruined.