• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Take up the issue with Mina and I'm confident she will rectify to your satisfaction. FWIW, certain fabrics with which her tailors are less familiar have required 3, 4, or even 5 fittings to nail down. And they are pretty familiar with my pattern.

Which fabrics/weights are they most familiar with? I've been planning on giving them a a go soon.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
med tech, that many fittings is surprising given how many things they've made (well) for you. Does she rotate the person that is making your stuff? It can't be just the fabric...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Which fabrics/weights are they most familiar with? I've been planning on giving them a a go soon.

They do well with the lighter stuff. Heavyweight tweeds took them awhile to get used to (at least for my pattern). They all look great now.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I should start off by saying that multiple fittings for me have been very much the exception. On average, jackets have been nailed with 1-2 fittings (and to be fair, often they're minor adjustments), while trousers are pretty much good-to-go the first time around.

But in my experience the fabric can have a huge impact on the process. The grey/brown/blue Caccioppoli gunclub a few book back - a fabric which she loved and had made up for Parker and others - required maybe 5 fittings. We couldn't understand it and Mina thought she was going crazy, even resulting to multiple comparative measurements with my other jackets. Finally she nailed it and it's one of my favorites, but what I took away is that in the end we're dealing with organic products made by hand, and (at least I) may have forgotten that sometimes significant variation exists.

The other time was a dark grey PoW from the Lesser 9.5oz book. She hated the fabric as she felt it had no spring or body. We couldn't make it work so moved on to something else.

Michaele has been making up my stuff consistently for at least a year. Prior to that was his brother Enzo. So it was more of a transition as opposed to a rotation.

Lovelace

Reaction score
Has the suit pictured a few pages back been delivered or is there still another fitting to be had? If so perhaps all is not lost.

Sometimes these things just go wrong. One of the pitfalls of the travelling tailor model.

I have never had 5 fittings for any suit..

There is an old saying.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"A stitch in time saves nine." That must be it.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lovelace, will you not make yourself clear? Damn you, man!

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Demand a refund anyway.

That's how you get respekt on the internet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics