1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Oct 31, 2010.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Let me break down my reasoning for you, in case it wasn't clear. Mariano Rubinacci's own Rubinacci jackets are the most likely to be exemplars of his own tailoring house. He has new things made, you know. They fit similarly, with the same "droop." Moreover, others' Rubinacci jackets are similar, with a few outliers. Hence, if you think Mariano's jacket's are mistakes, you think Rubinacci's house style--in its most unadulterated iteration--is mistaken. I'm not painting a false choice. Rather, I don't think you realize what choice you were making.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. mafoofan

[​IMG]

Mariano had this black cashmere dinner jacket made for LH's anniversary celebration at the Italian embassy in London a couple of years ago. Notice the droop.

Notice the droop on Nick Foulkes as well.

3. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

My A&S jackets do that as well.

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

If the point you were trying to make is that Rubi's shoulder line is not a mistake, then OK - but from the way you wrote it, it certainly sounds as if you're saying, in addition, that it would be ridiculous to want a "Neapolitan" style jacket that didn't have Rubi's shoulder line. In other words, that Rubi's shoulder line is the ONLY right one for Neapolitan jackets.

We have both agreed that "Neapolitan tailoring" is difficult to define, but that it definitely, and most crucially, involves softly tailored/minimally padded jackets, and that NsM's jackets are indeed constructed in this way. We could also go over other details that are arguably distinctive of Neapolitan tailoring that NsM generally uses. Rubinacci is certainly a well respected house, and closely associated with Neapolitan style. Just to reiterate, I am certainly not disputing Rubinacci's position as an authority on and creator of Neapolitan style. But, as you say, there are different ways of doing things, and "not Rubinacci" is not a synonym for "not Neapolitan".

Nor am I claiming that NsM should be viewed as the final word on what constitutes a Neapolitan jacket. As you say, that enterprise would be bound to fail. I'm stating that NsM has many of the elements that are commonly associated with Neapolitan style, its jackets are made in (or just outside) Naples, and it is run by someone who has worked in the Neapolitan clothing industry for a long time. The use of "Napoli" in the name of the company is completely honest and appropriate, and your insinuations (and you are definitely insinuating this, despite leaving yourself plausible deniability by use of a soft drink metaphor) that they are some sort of fraud are ridiculous. I wish you would discuss your opinions and observations on their jackets without questioning their integrity, even if two posts later you say how sure you are that they are very nice and willing to correct mistakes.

5. mafoofan

No. You overreach. The correct conclusion is that, if one is mistaken (between NSM and Rubinacci), it is more likely NSM.

Yes, and they have already been established. Neapolitan tailoring is not a new thing. I have not seen any other Neapolitan jacket with natural, unpadded shoulders that are upturned at the ends. Forget the fact I think it is intrinsically ugly. The bigger point is that it has no roots in Neapolitan tailoring, and hence, is not "Neapolitan." Show me consistent examples from another credible, established Neapolitan tailor, and I'll eat my words.

I don't want to be hostile with you, but you are forcing my hand.

Did I ever say they are committing fraud? Did I ever say they aren't from Naples or making things there? Aren't you an academic? I would have assumed you'd be more acute with the conclusions you draw. To put it more simply and more colorfully: "Napoli Su Misura" is a cheesy name. It's not fraudulent. It just suggests that the business caters to customers who most want a "Neapolitan" suit, not necessarily a good suit made in Naples. Whether that is true or not is a separate matter, but that is what the name suggests. Then, I see all these awful, messed up shoulders and my skepticism takes root.

6. mafoofan

Yeah, 'cause there is some badass extension on those. When I tried your A&S jacket on, it was like I had wings. My Rubinacci jackets do it too, but not to the same extent, as there is no extension.

7. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mariano's stuff looks worse and worse to me. I don't like Foulkes's either, but it doesn't look bad. What I hate so much about the Mariano version is that the extension and droop creates a false shoulder both wide of and below the real shoulder line. There is no attempt to conceal that the shoulder line isn't "natural" but rather extended. This is what the better LH examples avoid -on those you have to look hard to tell whether or not the person's shoulders correspond to the coat's shoulders. On MR's, they obviously don't. I have no doubt that is the target he is aiming for since he keeps hitting it, but I just don't get it.

Basically, the less extension and droop they do, the better it ends up looking.

2 people like this.
  8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

You are being far too much of a lawyer and not nearly enough of a gentleman. No, you are not accusing them of fraud in the legal sense. But you do compare them to a knock-off Cola brand.

I've said all that I care to say about this at this point, and I have tickets to the Nats game tonight, so I'll let others take what they want from our exchange.

9. mafoofan

You're kidding, right?

10. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Damn, I can't believe this thread is still active.

I have a serious question for the Foo (and I don't ask this to start a fight) - aren't you an associate in investment banking? How in the world do you have the time to spend hours and hours typing this stuff up during a workday?

11. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can't remember. Did you like them? Obviously, you switched all your stuff to LH and get a different look (which is a great one, I think), but I can't recall if you liked the A&S cut or not.

12. mafoofan

Spills out like drool.

1 person likes this.
  13. Grammaton Cleric

I dunno, man - when I did my tour of duty in IB, I had hardly anytime to myself prior to 6-7pm (until the sr guys left). The nights are a wasteland though - sitting away waiting for the copy guys to get the drafts done.

Anyway, fwiw, I agree that the pa-fucked issue exists, but it doesn't seem that bad or noticeable to me.

14. mafoofan

Really? My experience is somewhat reversed. The nights are when you get time to actually work on things, rather than cater to random MD requests during the day.

15. Grammaton Cleric

Right - that was kinda my point. That the days are continually packed with conf. calls, random meetings / requests, but the nights are when things open up to do actual work (or poast on SF). Though there was always that brain-numbing couple of hours from midnight - 2am, where'd you'd wait around for the copy center guys to finish so you could flip the books. And *sigh* you always had to flip the books.

16. mafoofan

One time, they printed out little hieroglyphics instead of Calibri. One random lines on random pages. On only some of the books. How the fuck does that happen?

17. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

That photo of MR is too dark for me to see much about the jacket. I've seen the man, I think, four times in real life and I have yet to see him with a collar that hugs the back of his neck, or that even comes close to doing so. And the photos that the dwarf highlighted, seem to also show a body which has changed since the coats were made. Before you feign further indignation, time made that mistake, not the tailor.

Speaking of falling for false choices, you realise (I hope) that my position is that neither LH nor NSM nor Solito made a mistake. The two acronyms merely value different things in terms of shoulder treatment and also have different views regarding extension.

Perhaps others are interested in who's the Neopolitanest (Napolisimo?) but I can't say that I find much point in that endeavour.

Napoli Su Misura is a cheesy name. I don't see how anyone can defend it.

18. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

This conversation would get so much more interesting if someone could ask Ms. Mina her thoughts on the shoulder expressions in question. At this point, this conversation is threading through the same ground... :deadhorse:

19. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think we might make some progress if we could run suit+wearer through one of those TSA airport scanners.

20. A Y

A Y Senior member

Don't those scanners break if you try to wear a jacket inside of them?