1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Oct 31, 2010.

1. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

[​IMG]

Once again - very nice.

2. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

There are several common personalities in Naples, and I think two are manifest in the typical clothes made there. One aims to rule Scampia, the other aims to pretend Naples is still a sort of kingdom...

Indeed. Some Neapolitan MTM/bespoke shirts I have are from a small chain that is growing (well, not sure -- they have three or fours shops) in Italy, and under their name it says 'Reame di Napoli'. Which, by the way, is probably also a way of not admitting that they are not made in Naples proper, but probably in somewhere in the region.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Now you are just being argumentative.

OF COURSE lapels, quarters etc. are significant to the design of the suit. The are among the primary things a person sees. They determine it's look. There is no engine inside.

I think you are just flat wrong that no generalizations are possible. They are possible and (and others) have made them and they are accurate to what I can plainly see.

Frankly an A&S style suit looks to my eye more substantially different from the rest of SR than one Neapolitan does from another.

I don't know why you wouldn't go to Solito, who looks a hell of a lot Rubinacci to my eye. So does Panico.

Well, regardless of our disagreement, I can assure you I'm not being argumenative. Neither the precise curvature of the lapels nor the openness of the quarters would ever make me pick one tailor over another. They're simply gravy.

I wouldn't use Solito or Panico largely because I wouldn't want to deal with a Neapolitan tailor who doesn't have an organized infrastucture for servicing trans-Atlantic clients. While I disagree that Solito generally looks very similar to Rubinacci, I do like much of what I've seen them do. If they had a regular schedule I could count on, I'd strongly consider them if Rubinacci no longer satisfied me.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

It seems plausible that NSM have a range of styling, from the gimmicky to the reasonable. But they do seem to go for the 'look at my Neapolitan coat' thing.

I also said above that it's fine for casual wear. And especially summer wear, which of course makes casual even more casual.

And I know that thankfully you wouldn't replace your Steed staples with this stuff.

Look, at the end of the day it may just be my residual Italian snobbery.

Well, let's see what she makes for me. One big difference from many of the numbers posted so far is that it's a straight CBD fabric: dark blue birdseye milled for Huntsman. That might calm the eye.

- B

5. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, regardless of our disagreement, I can assure you I'm not being argumenative. Neither the precise curvature of the lapels nor the openness of the quarters would ever make me pick one tailor over another. They're simply gravy.

I wouldn't use Solito or Panico largely because I wouldn't want to deal with a Neapolitan tailor who doesn't have an organized infrastucture for servicing trans-Atlantic clients. While I disagree that Solito generally looks very similar to Rubinacci, I do like much of what I've seen them do. If they had a regular schedule I could count on, I'd strongly consider them if Rubinacci no longer satisfied me.

You told me my SB Solito looked "just like Rubinacci." [​IMG]

6. voxsartoria

I recon my Solito is more like your NSM than your Solito.

My second-hand Solito is more like your Solito.

- B

7. mafoofan

You told me my SB Solito looked "just like Rubinacci." [​IMG]

Yes, but yours is not "Solito generally." As you've pointed out, Luigi would have cut you leaner jacket had you not asked him otherwise.

8. Manton

Yes, but yours is not "Solito generally." As you've pointed out, Luigi would have cut you leaner jacket had you not asked him otherwise.

Well, I asked for what the father (Gennaro) makes for himself and for M. Marinella, which I assume is the core house style.

Perhaps they have a generational issue similar to the one at Rubinacci where daddy likes it the drape and junior likes it the dash. Kids these days.

9. mafoofan

Well, I asked for what the father (Gennaro) makes for himself and for M. Marinella, which I assume is the core house style.

Perhaps they have a generational issue similar to the one at Rubinacci where daddy likes it the drape and junior likes it the dash. Kids these days.

Entirely possible and very plausible. The kids and the granfathers in Naples couldn't express more different tastes in style--which I suppose is another way of making my point.

10. brax

brax Senior member

Been told the same thing about getting to Totonno's

16th & Neptune
    Brooklyn NY

There's also a Manhattan location. Chris, I recommend a side of St. Louis spare ribs as a side order.

11. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Entirely possible and very plausible. The kids and the granfathers in Naples couldn't express more different tastes in style--which I suppose is another way of making my point.

The picture gets more clear.

The sons get suits from Mina to have a youthful, lean cut with vigor. The fathers go Rubinaci for the generic, safe neapolitan look and the grandfathers go to Solito for the, I don't give a crap I want comfort and I want it loose fit

There's also a Manhattan location. Chris, I recommend a side of St. Louis spare ribs as a side order.

Good to know, looking forward to both.

12. voxsartoria

Who goes to Panico?

[​IMG]

- B

13. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Who goes to Panico?

[​IMG]

- B

Loners and orphans

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Who goes to Panico?

[​IMG]

- B

T4 used to, I believe. In fact, I know he used to, but I have no idea if he still does. Panico's own suits are quite nice.

15. Manton

T4 used to, I believe. In fact, I know he used to, but I have no idea if he still does. Panico's own suits are quite nice.

Doesn't the senior Cappelli use him too?

16. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Doesn't the senior Cappelli use him too?
    I only know one Cappelli (around 45 or so,) and his suits are from the late Formosa. Great looking stuff, IMO. Very proper. In fact, I think his personal style is as good as anybody's I have seen.

17. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

What is this thread about [​IMG]

18. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

[​IMG]

-LR

19. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Vox, Foo, Naples, and drape, i.e. what all of MC is about.

20. kcc

kcc Senior member

I don't know why you wouldn't go to Solito, who looks a hell of a lot Rubinacci to my eye. So does Panico.

Panico's suits are weightless, lighter than LH's IMO.