• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You want to drop a few thousand euro on a suit but are worried about which date is 23 vs say, 50 or 100 quid for a flight?
Well played, mate.

:puzzled:

You know it's not a good comparison. Here's why -- 1600 euros might be cheap for a suit if the benchmark for most suits of a similar quality is 3000 euros. In this case, I'm not overpaying.

However, even if 1600 euros is expensive for a suit, it isn't a logical inference that just because I'm willing to pay 1600 euros for a suit, that I have to necessarily be willing to overpay for a plane ticket.

It's like saying that just because I'm going to town to dine at a restaurant where the food costs 150 pounds, that I shouldn't mind paying 50 quid to take a black cab there when I can grab the tube for 3 quids.

And, on a side note, I never said that I was worried about which date I traveled, rather, it was something you inferred from my statement. Truth is, if push comes to shove, I'd in all likelihood pay a hundred quid.

Last edited:

gambit50

Reaction score
You know it's not a good comparison. Here's why -- 1600 euros might be cheap for a suit if the benchmark for most suits of a similar quality is 3000 euros. In this case, I'm not overpaying.
However, even if 1600 euros is expensive for a suit, it isn't a logical inference that just because I'm willing to pay 1600 euros for a suit, that I have to necessarily be willing to overpay for a plane ticket.
It's like saying that just because I'm going to town to dine at a restaurant where the food costs 150 pounds, that I shouldn't mind paying 50 quid to take a black cab there when I can grab the tube for 3 quids.
And, on a side note, I never said that I was worried about which date I traveled, rather, it was something you inferred from my statement. Truth is, if push comes to shove, I'd in all likelihood pay a hundred quid.
Listen, nobody is bigger on value and goes through more flaming hoops to not pay 8 pence if I can pay 6.
And, yes, nobody is more about the concept that widget A can be 'worth' paying the 100k retail, usual price for while widget B is not worth paying its price of 10 or even at a discount of 5.

So, I was not inferring that you will overpay for a plane ticket, ie. the ticket is 23 vs second choice of , say, 300.
There are plenty of tickets that are 50 or less, though, and since you seemed serious enough about it, well, you would be a plain dope to worry about 2 dozen quid if that is what it takes to get your 2k euro suit which, in theory, is getting you excess value over the other 2k euro suit you could purchase and that amount must be more than 1%.

In short, you didn't seem to write it tongue in cheek(there was no witty bit attached) and since I have seen enough completely irrational, logical statements around all parts, I had to ask.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the **** are you two assholes talking about? Don't trash the thread and take your banter to pm, for ***** sake.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Listen, nobody is bigger on value and goes through more flaming hoops to not pay 8 pence if I can pay 6.
And, yes, nobody is more about the concept that widget A can be 'worth' paying the 100k retail, usual price for while widget B is not worth paying its price of 10 or even at a discount of 5.

So, I was not inferring that you will overpay for a plane ticket, ie. the ticket is 23 vs second choice of , say, 300.
There are plenty of tickets that are 50 or less, though, and since you seemed serious enough about it, well, you would be a plain dope to worry about 2 dozen quid if that is what it takes to get your 2k euro suit which, in theory, is getting you excess value over the other 2k euro suit you could purchase and that amount must be more than 1%.

In short, you didn't seem to write it tongue in cheek(there was no witty bit attached) and since I have seen enough completely irrational, logical statements around all parts, I had to ask.

I still don't see your logic, or your point. You said 'well played mate' as if wanting to pay less instead of more for a plane ticket (even if the difference in cost represents 2 percent of the cost of a suit), is bewildering.

As I pointed out, it's a non sequitur that just because I'm willing to pay 1600 euros for a suit, I should opt to pay triple the cost of a plane ticket when it can be had for less. So what if the difference represents 2% of the total value of the suit? That's irrelevant.

And, honestly, I don't understand what you're writing when you say 'In short, you didn't seem to write it tongue in cheek(there was no witty bit attached) and since I have seen enough completely irrational, logical statements around all parts, I had to ask.'

That whole chunk doesn't in the least make sense at all. 'Completely irrational and logical statements around all parts?' -- that phrase pretty much embodies itself.

And I think that the emoticon I included :D hints that I made that statement about the tickets in jest. I'm downright surprised you read so deep into what I was saying and missed the forest for the trees.

Last edited:

andreyb2

Reaction score

I sought them out after Vox sang Mina's praises ... I figured if he was satisfied, I would be ....

Actually, Vox is satisfied with all the makers he tried. Maybe he is just lucky... or not so picky. Or both. :)

Andrey

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow - sorry for mentioning discount airlines.

I ordered an indigo / black pick and pick from Harrisons.

Somewhat surprisingly, they didn't bat an eyelash when I asked for a full lining. I'll probably head down there for a fitting in Jan.

MrChris

Reaction score
First fitting
Opinions? (Obviously the pants will be shortened).

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First fitting
Opinions? (Obviously the pants will be shortened).

Everything is fine except the length of the jacket, is it default from Mina? I would love a heavier cloth but that is personal reference.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everything is fine except the length of the jacket, is it default from Mina? I would love a heavier cloth but that is personal reference.

Jacket length is just right I think and the fit is good. What fabric and weight?

Last edited:

MrChris

Reaction score
I requested the jacket to be sliightly longer than house style. I'm very pleased how it turned out, the pictures might not give an 100% accurate view though.
The fabric is Minnis Classic 0635 13 oz I belive.

gambit50

Reaction score
^^^Looking more closely, the jacket is a bit longer than I thought just looking at the basting in haste. I would go a touch shorter but if you requested length and are getting what you want, great.
Even with my desire for a shorter jacket, I think you are doing very well. Good luck with the rest of your fittings and the final. I'm sure you won't need it you are well on your way.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Curious, does anyone have first hand experience with Mina's house style shirts, as well as other Italian tailors, such as Siviglia, Matuozzo, Satriano Cingque, etc? Can anyone give comparisons?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads