1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Oct 31, 2010.

1. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

I'm with Mina and Dino next Friday/Saturday, and as I'm sufficiently curious about this shoulder issue will discuss with them and report back. I've noticed this aspect on a few of my jackets - primarily those of lighter weights - and while I caught the wonky shoulder line on that DB when posting the pic I have to say I've worn that suit 2-3 times since and never noticed it IRL. I actually forgot about it completely until going through the past 10 pages. It may very well have settled down or may still be there for all I know, but I'll hump it over to Naples as it could be an interesting case study. Could also be a total waste of time, so to be continued...

On a completely unrelated note, Mina delivered my first truly at-the-natural-waist pents in a light grey flannel. In retrospect, I only wish that all my suit trousers were at my natural waist... amazing what a difference 1-2cm can make (I'm only 3 years into bespoke, and not that much further with consistently wearing suits for that matter. Also, no experience with any other house for jackets). As far as I know, Mina does employ her own trouser-maker(s), and while I don't have any photographic or documented evidence of NSM employment, there have been numerous instances of on-the-spot tweaking at forwards and finals that I believe this to be the case. Not that I care one way or the other, as the fit and finish of the trousers are consistently outstanding (at least to me).

To pull the pin off another grenade, I'll put out there that her pents are superior in fit and finish to the 5-6 pairs I've had made up by Salvatore...

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Med_tech, by natural waist, I assume you mean at your belly button?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

After the "will I look like an old man / Steve Urkel?" fears are gone, high-waisted pants are wonderful, aren't they... [​IMG]

I'm assuming you actually mean above the bellybutton, which is where the natural waist is on most people.

Looking forward to Mina/Dino's comments on the shoulder issue...

4. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Yes, they really are. It took me four years to appreciate them, but I love them.

5. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

cary grant would be so proud.

6. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

I wear them at my natural waist, and every time I unbutton my coat, I wait for friends to gawk (yes, they do) about why I have my trousers pulled up so high. Sighs. High-waisted trousers are not a lady-magnet. That much is certain. Well, you can't have your cake and eat it.

7. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Indeed...

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

These last 5 pages are a reminder that StyleForvm is serious business.

When the time comes for me to begin the bespoke journey, one thing is clear. I will be hopelessly lost..

1 person likes this.
  9. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just tell them that a smaller pair doesn't cover all it should. That's why you have the pleats, also.

10. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

as long as you have a good tailor that is part of the fun.

11. KayJay85

KayJay85 Senior member

I learn something from this thread
    Thanks again SF

12. Big A

Big A Senior member

Disagree, but maybe I just need to tweak the fit of my NSM pents. I find Ambrosi's to be a bit more .... something. Nothing wrong with the NSM pents at all but the Ambrosi's fit me better.

1 person likes this.
  13. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Dressing "well" is not a lady magnet, anyways. You want to be a lady magnet, wear a black suit with a black shirt and a black tie. Everything skin-tight, of course. And the pants should sit at your natural thighs, not even at your hips.

2 people like this.
  14. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

That's a good one. Ha.

I'm not sure the meth-induced goth girl is whom I have in mind. :D

1 person likes this.
  15. Big A

Big A Senior member

I disagree 100%, and I am the undisputed SF creepy-old-man-expert on these things (or at least I am declaring myself so)

16. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

If its only at your thighs then how are people suppose to see the awesome boxers you are rocking?! I ask my tailors to have my trousers sit at my knees......

17. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I suppose it depends on the lady. I hang out with girls in their late 20's and I can assure you that pants at the waist, braces and plaid jackets are the best of repellants [​IMG]
    Thankfully I don't wear that on weekends. But for them, suits should be worn "like a modern, young man" and that means what I described previously. That, or one of those Zara low-rise, short-jacket monstrosities.

Just to make my point clear, when I say "dressing well" I refer to wearing coat and tie like Grant, Connery, Astaire, etc... did. The "old-fashioned" way.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  18. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

2 people like this.
  19. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Interesting discussion about NSM over the last few pages. Thanks to all the participants.

1 person likes this.
  20. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Sigh, there is a lot of truth to this :brick:

Good thing I'm married so I can wear whatever I goddamn well please.

Which usually means SF-approved high-waisted mid-grey trousers, blue shirt, and plaid jacket :D

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013