my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Oct 31, 2010.

1. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Mohair is scratchy. After about 2 years, I'm getting used to it.

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

3. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

I don't have an opinion. I have but one mohair suit, in the H&S Crispaire mohair/wool blend. It's a bit more scratchy than Minnis Fresco, and it also has a bit of sheen. It's pretty good for a summer evening out.

I have a theoretical hankering for a Dormeuil Tonik. It's theoretical because the hankering is for the old Tonik or maybe the old Lesslan from Lesser.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I haveone suit from the Lesslon book. It is not scratchy at all, though a bit stiffer than plain wool, with a nice, deep sheen. There was only one pattern I liked in the stock I saw available, but if you have access to a length in a pattern you like, grab it - it is a really spectacular cloth. Harrison's Cape Kid is feather light, with a nice, slick, polished sheen and some uneveness, like Dupioni silk (though much less). I recommend that highly for summer, though it is not inexpensive. I have one suit in Huntsman's Midnight Blue Hammick Mohair, which is a bit heavier weight and a barathea/hopsack weave. I get a lot of use out of it and liked it enough that I ordered another in the navy version. It also has a mohair sheen, but it is very slight and not nearly as slick looking.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

5. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not all mohairs itch. It would be unfair to categorize them all as itchy. Some are quite smooth. Difference to me is Fresco is coarse but due to the finishing and weaving. Mohair is crisp due to the nature of the fiber. Mohair s an acquired taste and available in many finishes, weights and textures. Scabal had a nice mohair, linen and silk a few years ago. Looked like dupioni with mohair.

6. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

You should have a look at the extra fine mohair available in the Mohair book by Drapers.It's amazingly soft and smooth for mohair.I thought it was at least a Super 130 when I handled it before I realized it was mohair.If I'm not mistaken, the mohair content was between 20-40 percent.

7. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

Drapers' mohairs and the mohair blends in the new Flamingo Bay bunch by Scabal (wool/mohiar 60/40 and mohair/silk 80(!)/20 ) are my favourites, the silk blend from Scabal feels less itchy to me than the wool blend but it's a bit stiff.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

8. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

All: thank you.

Have any of you made/gotten something in one of the high-percentage mohairs from Halstead?

I vaguely recall an old LL thread in which Michael Alden described a conversation with one of the Lessers that they had discontinued the LessLan both because of lower demand and their feeling that the overall quality of mohair had fallen considerably compared to the past.

One of the suits from this batch of NSM's that was ready on this trip is in a 13oz T&L Golden Bale sharkskin, and its qualities seem similar to a what I've seen in smooth, heavy mohairs. I like it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

9. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I am surprised by your patience given your proclivity for a martini or three.

10. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

I avoid drinking water.

11. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

'Laconic' ?

12. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

[​IMG]

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

[​IMG]

14. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

:confused:

I thought NYR taught English

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

are suits still about $2K each? I haven't checked in a few years (this coincides with the last time Solito was in town).