1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Oct 31, 2010.

1. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Their website is lacking a price list - what's the current damage for NSM's shirts?

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Thanks, everyone. If anyone else can chime in, particularly with comparisons to other Neapolitan makers, that would be appreciated.

As for cost, VRaivio, you should probably check directly with NSM, as much depends on what you're looking for.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  3. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

It's in the region of bespeaking a shirt in London at Turnbull & Asser, Sean O Flynn, Dege and the like.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I really don't think so. It felt like bad luck more than anything else. She knows what she is doing and made every effort to get it right. At some point, it just seemed easier for me to give her another shirt and say "look at this and see if you can figure out why this works", which she did. I would say that my experience with her told me she has the desire to do things right more than anything else.

5. bboysdontcryy

So what was the main issue? I'm guessing it has to do with sleeves and armholes since they're hardest to get right.

6. dopey

It was the fit across the back and where it connected to the armscye. It got solved by moving to pleats in the back rather than shirring, which is how the English shirt was made. There might have been other changes in dimesions, but that would be less visible to me.

7. marburymadison

marburymadison Well-Known Member

Forgive this question, but what is the purpose for shirring, or pleats? It's different from darts, correct? Does it help to allow for a slimmer waist? Or?

8. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

I have plenty of shirts from both NSM and Matuozzo, as well as other Neapolitan makers (Finamore, Borrelli etc.). Matuozzo is by far the best in terms of fit, fabric selection and craftmanship. However, for the price I think NSM are hard to beat. The problem for me with NSM shirts is that they lack some of the best fabrics (Riva, Anderson etc.) and that I cannot get the same soft collars as with Matuozzo. I buy from both Matuozzo and NSM and will probably continue to do so. The other Neapolitan makers I do not like as much, I think they are overpriced.

2 people like this.
  9. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Informative. Thank you.

10. dopey

i don't know why you say this. I thought they did carry Riva (at least at some point) and certainly have some very high quality fabrics.

11. etkl

etkl Senior member

They used to carry Riva but not for quite a while.

12. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

They used to have Riva, but stopped after Riva's price increase last year.

13. bboysdontcryy

When they attempt a soft collar, is their default a non-fused collar?

14. dopey

Too bad. i guess I got in early enough.

15. bboysdontcryy

On their recent tour, they mainly used TM Goldline and they brought a couple books of Italian fabrics, whose name fails me. Not Riva.

16. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

Not sure about their default, but my softest collars from NSM are quite different from Matuozzo.

17. MrChris

MrChris Senior member

Interesting discussion regaring NSM shirts. I ordered my first shirt this past weekend and it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

18. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Sounds like you're casting a pretty wide net so I'd also include Francesco Merolla - Gabriella L'ero's former partner.

I have no experience with either since I wasn't able to set up an appointment with Satriano 5 while I was in Naples.

I have half an experience with Sivligia and they're certainly (and proudly) the odd one out in that group.

19. dfoverdx

dfoverdx Senior member

20. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Looking forward to seeing mina and dino next month...