• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
island blood gives you the smooth skin, eh?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

island blood gives you the smooth skin, eh?

Chocolate brown eyes and a taste for cannibalism, too.

Many here might ascribe higher Neanderthal DNA to me if they were to see me eat asparagus, but you would know that they would be wrong.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i-ZgJdzKV-XL.jpg

i-5t8gt2M-XL.jpg

Would you kindly stop with the stylistic deviations from the SF norm and maintain some adherence to imposed SF expectations of your clothing style. i.e. abstract pocket shapes and edge stitching...and is that shirring I see along the back yoke?

It's causing a disruption of balance in the sartoriasphere.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If anyone is still interested. My father was a tailor for Society Brand in Chicago and these are patch pocket patterns they used in the 40"s and 50's. They are a bit similar to Corbera's breast patch. When the factory closed, all the patterns seemed to disappear and magically reappear at tailors workshops. I have their block patterns too.

Did you make anything using those patterns?

Have not, but working on a couple interesting patterned cloths, maybe will give it a try.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Would you kindly stop with the stylistic deviations from the SF norm and maintain some adherence to imposed SF expectations of your clothing style. i.e. abstract pocket shapes and edge stitching...and is that shirring I see along the back yoke?

Yep, all my shirts from NSM so far are shirred at the yoke..I forget what the Italians call it.

Foo had extensive worshipful coverage of such shirring back in the pre 4x1 days, when he had normal sized eyeglasses and gloves with complete fingers.

It's causing a disruption of balance in the sartoriasphere.

I'm wearing a bow tie today.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I specify edge stitching too. Only two recent shirts have used the quarter stitching thing. Isn't the old reason for not liking edge stitching because it was hard to do well?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I prefer the edge stitching on these particular camp collar shirts, but for reasons I can't explain well, I wouldn't get it in any other case.

Do you remember Kabbaz's old sequence of photos on AAAC in which he argues for the superiority of edge stitching aesthetically and functionally? The thing that I remember most are the neckties on those shirts...yikes!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The reason is, because you know it would be guido. On an italian-collar shirt meant to be worn open to the navel in Tahiti, I agree it's fine, maybe even preferable.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's a collo Capri (and thanks for the suggestion, Jan.) It can't be worn with a necktie, as you can see.
Given how the collar, band and French placket are all one piece, edge stitching strikes me as the most appropriate...to my eye, at least, it would look messier with a inset stitch on the collar with no place to go since there is no band to terminate the inset line cleanly. The edge stitching, in contrast, just continues from collar to band to placket with no interruption.
I hope that makes sense.
It's a summer or beach-y getaway shirt.

Dege did some shirts like this for me. Since they are English, they called them Lido collars. I can't recall whether or not they were edge stitched.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My father calls that look the "Italian Tuxedo".

He can say that because he's a tuxedo.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The reason is, because you know it would be guido. On an italian-collar shirt meant to be worn open to the navel in Tahiti, I agree it's fine, maybe even preferable.

What if we were wearing it with a tie to be ironic? Speaking of irony, it's interesting that visible topstitching on a coat is considered bad taste, but on a shirt, it's the reverse.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

On an italian-collar shirt meant to be worn open to the navel in Tahiti, I agree it's fine, maybe even preferable.

Since we've determined that my chest is smooth, let me add that I have an innie.

Dege did some shirts like this for me. Since they are English, they called them Lido collars. I can't recall whether or not they were edge stitched.

That's very E. M. Forster of Dege. I approve.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think wearing a tie with a shirt with no collarband would look really bad.

"visible topstitching on a coat is considered bad taste": it is?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think wearing a tie with a shirt with no collarband would look really bad.
"visible topstitching on a coat is considered bad taste": it is?

Isn't it? Subtle is good, but the kind that stands out? Anyway, for the tie, I was thinking of a regular shirt collar, not the sport/Capri collar.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I love the top stitch on sport coats and overcoats and informal suits (linen).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads