• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I guess that I'm puzzled why it's such a big deal that Mina's guys would make more than one shape. They obviously do, you can see it in mine and at least two of yours.

I stand corrected. medtech's pics do show two different shapes indeed, one of which is similar to yours. I had not noticed those in the past. I think I prefer the rounder one but could see the squarer one work better in some instances, e.g. with squarer flapped patch hip pockets.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If anyone is still interested. My father was a tailor for Society Brand in Chicago and these are patch pocket patterns they used in the 40"s and 50's. They are a bit similar to Corbera's breast patch. When the factory closed, all the patterns seemed to disappear and magically reappear at tailors workshops. I have their block patterns too.

Did you make anything using those patterns?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's clear to me from old movies that American patch pockets tended to be quite square in the 30s and 40s.

emptym

Reaction score

If anyone is still interested. My father was a tailor for Society Brand in Chicago and these are patch pocket patterns they used in the 40"s and 50's. They are a bit similar to Corbera's breast patch. When the factory closed, all the patterns seemed to disappear and magically reappear at tailors workshops. I have their block patterns too.

They look beaker-shaped to me. I kind of like them.

Last edited:

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They look beaker-shaped to me. I kind of like them.

Yeah, I see the resemblance too.

lyle_beaker.gif

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I stand corrected. medtech's pics do show two different shapes indeed, one of which is similar to yours. I had not noticed those in the past. I think I prefer the rounder one but could see the squarer one work better in some instances, e.g. with squarer flapped patch hip pockets.

It will be interesting to see what I get next. Three of the odd jackets coming up next are three patches.

I assume Mina that checks in with this thread...

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
edge stitched collars are a little guido for you, aren't they wasp-boy?

I can say that because I am a guido.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

i'm surprised you go for edge stitching.
Edit: A whole conversation took place in the time it took me to type the above sentence.

It's a collo Capri (and thanks for the suggestion, Jan.) It can't be worn with a necktie, as you can see.

Given how the collar, band and plain placket are all one piece, edge stitching strikes me as the most appropriate...to my eye, at least, it would look messier with a inset stitch on the collar with no place to go since there is no band to terminate the inset line cleanly. The edge stitching, in contrast, just continues from collar to band to placket with no interruption.

I hope that makes sense.

It's a summer or beach-y getaway shirt.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
it's too bad you shave your chest because a gold italian horn would twinkle nicely in the hairs as the shirt is open to the navel.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

it's too bad you shave your chest because a gold italian horn would twinkle nicely in the hairs as the shirt is open to the navel.

While I don't need to shave my chest, I understand where you're coming from.

If times get tough, gigolo is always a viable option for me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics