Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Oct 31, 2010.

1. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

:lurk:

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

prices are listed on his website. in the ballpark of the english makers and scheer. still ahead of most of the viennese makers in his league.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

3. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

This does not exist.

4. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

quote name="F. Corbera" url="/t/207054/my-visit-to-napoli-mina-napoli-su-misura/1425#post_5018498"]
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]

Hate on this[​IMG]

[​IMG][

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yes it does. There's a default patch pocket shape that is common to all NSM coats' unless the customer asks for something else. That is called a house style. Now if there's something specific you're trying to say, please invest more than 3 seconds in a post and explain your point.

6. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Not to complicate your theory, but I made no mention of patch pocket shapes. What you see on mine is what Mina or her tailor decided to put on them, with no input from me.

7. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

No, sorry, this is a reality of the production process.

8. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Why? Isn't it simpler to make things the same? Or are you saying that it depends on who the coat gets outsourced to and each worker does things their own way?

9. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

What Hans und Fritz are saying is that it is common for the division of labor between cutter/designer on one hand and the tailor on the other to fall at a line beyond which the tailor is entirely responsible for the pocketing.

The differences go mostly unobserved because generally tailors for the same producer often think similarly...and because most of the pocket is hidden from initial sight except...

Ta da! Patch pockets, the shapes of which are an SF obsession because of the online practices of (1) staring at static photographs for days or months and (2) the idolatry of the macro or cropped in photo.

10. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's your tailor's responsibility to obsess over these things for your satisfaction with the garment. Wear and enjoy, no fuss.

11. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Mina has discussed with me, on more than one occasion, her default patch p[ocket style and how she arrived at the design. So, despite what our German friends contend, there is an implicit house style that her tailors adhere too.

Btw, A+S have also noted, with some pride, that their patch pockets are shaplier than the square-ish monstrosities offered by their SR competitors. So they have a house style as well. Which should really come as no surprise.

12. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Well, then I didn't get the default then. I hope this means that I'm special.
    The patches Edwin is doing now for me are really great. I had them retrofitted to my earlier jackets. They're the A&S shape from the 80s and earlier. I think that they're more nifty than anything Italian that I've seen. Best breast pocket patch that I've ever seen was on an early 1960s Oxxford...I'll post up a photo in a bit.

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

I'm trying to remember the guy on SF who drew out his own patches, cut them in paper, and took them to his (Asian) tailor.

I wonder if he takes recipes to (Asian) restaurants.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

vox - unless I missed it, you haven't explained what the rest of that coat looks like. Does it have flapped patch pockets (envelope?) at the hips like the drawing you posted? I'm trying to understand why Mina would put a square breast patch pocket here instead of her usual round one

15. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Hymo.