• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My visit to Loake

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Of all the companies I visited, Loake stocks the widest range of quality levels and styles. Whereas each of the other brands goes after a luxury market that must of necessity be somewhat of a niche, Loake has something for everyone, including customers who are only just being introduced to quality footwear.

Its history, however, is as rich as anyone shoemaker's. The company was founded in 1880 in Kettering, a little less than an hour's drive from Northampton by the Loake brothers, Thomas, John and William. It has remained in the hands of the Loake family ever since. Andrew Loake is the current custodian.

There are three broad quality categories of dress shoes that Loake produces. Loake 1880 and Loake Evolution are full grain, burnished calf leather shoes for around 200 pounds. Loake Shoemakers shoes are mostly made of polished leather, knocking the price down to around 150 pounds. Both these lines are Goodyear-welted and made in the Kettering factory I visited. Finally, the L1 line's polished leather dress shoes are Goodyear-welted shoes made in India, which can be had for closer to 100 pounds.

At each price point, Loake takes pride in providing as high a quality shoe as they can. There's an honesty and integrity to what they do, reflecting how seriously they take the name they stamp on their products. On the tongue of every L1 shoe, you'll see the “Made in India” stamp, which is refreshing in a world where other companies might just send the shoes to an English factory to have the laces put in and call them “Made In England”. These shoes are made by a factory in India in close cooperation with Loake, using lasts from the Loake Shoemaker line.

But there are significant advantages to paying more to get a pair from the Loake 1880 line, or the Loake Evolution, which is similar to the 1880 except that it uses a more flexible leather sole for more out-of-the-box comfort. Each line uses lasts that are more refined than those used for the Loake Shoemaker. These top level shoes also use full grain calf leather, which means that the shoes will only look better with every polish. The leather in the other lines comes already “polished”, meaning that the tannery treats them with a sort of gloss to hide imperfections. These might look great when brand new, but they will not age so well as the burnished calf used for Loake's highest quality level.

And really, 200 pounds is a bargain for a genuine English-made, Goodyear-welted, full grain leather shoe. They're well made enough that you can make them last for decades, and beautiful enough that you'll want to.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these some of the "Shoemaker" line? They look CG-ish. I've been thinking of picking up the suede brogue from that line -- if that's it on the far right, I'm leaning even further in that direction...

Calder

Reaction score
I have altogether too many Loakes (from across all the ranges) already, and you making me want to buy more...

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the insight. Having had my 1880 Edward tan brogues for a few months now and covered miles in them, I can say they remain very comfortable even after a long walk and polish up really nicely. The best pair of shoes I've bought.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the review, I just wish they bring all the production back to the UK.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can' roll with Loake. I would like to hear an answer to Dopey's question, however.

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first "quality" shoes were Loake and they are still my go to black shoe after 20 years. Admittedly, I don't now wear black shoes very often, but they have lasted exceptionally well for the price.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loake builds a quality, if not remarkably interesting, shoe. I have a pair of loake for herring and they have held up great. Especially impressive is the very long lasting heel toplift.

Balfour

Reaction score
Nice. What differences used in the 1880 line result in those shoes costing so much less than EG/CJ/Tricker/Sargent etc? There is definitely a price difference even if they are all GY welted full-grain shoes? The market is pretty competitive, so what explains the difference?
Wurger has a pretty good go here:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/354125/loake-appreciation-shoe-p0rn-thread/100_50#post_6476930;
http://www.styleforum.net/t/354125/loake-appreciation-shoe-p0rn-thread/100_50#post_6508312.

I have a soft spot for Loakes, and black 1880s are a perfectly respectable day-to-day shoe (my beaters now).

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good write up by Wurger. Similar situation to Meermin v. Carmina.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads