• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My view on SW&D after being exclusively in MC

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
I wish you would post in SW&D more Dedalus.
Heh, clothing isn't really my area of expertise, as much as I just enjoy it. Thanks, though
smile.gif
I think some of the difference between MC and SW&D in tone could be a generational gap as well. A 40-year-old lawyer with a family is certainly going to approach posting differently than a college student. And I don't necessarily mean that maturity-wise, so much as they've come to understand online social interaction differently because of when or how they were introduced to it. My gut says that the older crowd feels more compelled to write more formally regardless of the context, whereas the younger crowd has a different sense of when and how it is appropriate to break certain written communication rules.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I was going to include those, but I can only handle so large a mob at once. Thanks for your reinforcements.
And your favorite Billy Reid boots are all that dissimilar? Not trying to call you out, more so wondering why you're so quick to lump everything into a "negative" pile. I don't own either if it's worth anything to you.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
And your favorite Billy Reid boots are all that dissimilar?

I know they both go over feet so it may seem confusing, but some boots are ugly and some aren't.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm prety sure SW took a great downturn right after I joined. Srsly.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Heh, clothing isn't really my area of expertise, as much as I just enjoy it. Thanks, though
smile.gif

I think some of the difference between MC and SW&D in tone could be a generational gap as well. A 40-year-old lawyer with a family is certainly going to approach posting differently than a college student. And I don't necessarily mean that maturity-wise, so much as they've come to understand online social interaction differently because of when or how they were introduced to it. My gut says that the older crowd feels more compelled to write more formally regardless of the context, whereas the younger crowd has a different sense of when and how it is appropriate to break certain written communication rules.

Originally Posted by Hehlol
It's rich watching a bunch of people who try so hard to be 'classy adults' on the Internet act exactly the way children would when criticized. A new poster said something about the community being tasteless and now the community's actions have basically proven him correct. It's amazing how you guys do it and still believe yourselves so refined.

Styleforum is a great place to come to learn about brands and quality and options, but it isn't a place to come about actual style. Use the forum for what you can, for some people it's posting in threads about all the new stuff they bought on credit, for others, it's reading about what others bought, learning about these items and investigating based on their own taste.

- B

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
People complaining of the attitude in SW&D, it's in MC too, but it's passive aggressive. It's hidden as implied standards of what is right and respectful. 'I wore a tie out of respect for the host/business, I don't understand this mockery! People are such vulgar slobs! Society!' Bullshit, you knew everyone would be in jeans and khakis.

I prefer my disrespect explicit.

This is accurate. I started out in MC when I first joined since I wasn't aware of the principle differences between that and SW&D. My unfavorable impression of SF during my first couple of months as a member (and one of the reasons I rarely posted) was because of the stuffy aura in MC. I can jive with the goal of being a more refined person. But too many people in there take it to such pretentious extremes that I picture them living life as if it were a really dull, never-ending dinner party with a horrendously conservative guest list.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
I'm prety sure SW took a great downturn right after I joined. Srsly.

For what it is worth, you were on my ignore list for a while. I forget why. Since removed.

Originally Posted by APK
My unfavorable impression of SF during my first couple of months as a member was because of the stuffy aura in MC.
I wonder if it is an age thing to dislike the "great stuff" stuffyness of MC WAYWRN more than the blood in the water venom of SW&D WAWYT.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saucemaster and Get Smart rule, except that Berlin Report rules over all in SW&D. Plus, BR is the coolest ******* dude in all of Germany, if now all of Europe.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Streetwear is not street enough for that forum. And I don't own any denim.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Personal Opinion:

So I have been to MC exclusively. I just visited SW&D today trying to learn something out of the box, and spent a good amount of time looking at SW&D's WAYWT thread. Damn, it hurt my eyes. Some (very few) look nice, but most are horrific. Oh, and don't get me wrong, I am in the 20's and I know how people in my ages wear normally. Those in WAYWT of SW&D look even worst than people I normally see in the street. Am I missing something?

dude, your 20 and dress like a grandpa. STFU

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is a great thread. can someone please start a thread about their views on MC after being exclusively in SW&D? i would, but i'm an MC guy
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics