• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Tux pics!

PearlJamFan

Reaction score
I found this at a second hand store. It fits well. And it only cost my $7. Its a Hardy Amies / Henry Singer (not sure...) Umm...yea..so is it good? bad? http://img234.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img2...ture0764pe.jpg http://img234.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img2...ture0779ss.jpg http://img228.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img2...ture0787en.jpg I want to wear a formal dress shirt insted of a vest. Also, what type of pants should I buy? (i hear you have to get pants that have a stripe on the side) Will the jactet work with a bow tie?

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Oh man - you bought a jacket without matching pants?

Normally I'd say for 7 bucks, you couldn't go wrong, but somehow you've managed to.

PearlJamFan

Reaction score
Is it that hard to find a pair of matching pants? Wont any pair of dress pants do?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it that hard to find a pair of matching pants? Wont any pair of dress pants do?
Oh, brother.

Cool jacket though. If that's London bespoke, or even classic RTW, it's a pretty cool collectors item.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, probably so. It will also cost you a lot. I know somebody around here bought a Brioni tuxedo jacket for dirt cheap at NM (I think) and went to several tailors looking for fabric that would match to have pants made. I believe he was looking at $800 for pants that were close enough. While they might be close enough, they will never be perfect.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides the problem of the missing pants, there's the problem of the less-than-classic cut.  I think you could get $7 of wear out of it by pairing it with jeans and chelsea boots, however.

PearlJamFan

Reaction score
wow...i found the pants at the same place i bought the jackte part. What luck.

now my questions are
how old is this jacket? any idea?
Should the pants have dark stripe down each leg?
Is this tux fine for a prom, or should i keep looking for another one?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow...i found the pants at the same place i bought the jackte part. What luck.
Billy: "Hey Jimmy, Your Socks dont match" Jimmy: "Oh man...What a bummer, I have another pair at home just like this"
dozingoff.gif

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No clue about age without seeing a close up of the tag.

The stripe on the pants is typical of tuxedo pants, and I like that detail.

The jacket has a few odd details -- very narrow lapels, and it looks like it has flapped pockets. Nevertheless, if this fits it would be a great choice for the prom.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno much about Hardy Amies, except that the Towson Filene's basement has a load of sportcoats from them at a low pricepoint. Didn't really check 'em out carefully...

I'm guessing Hardy Amies is the maker, Henry Singer the retailer it was made for. But that's a guess.

You mention a formal dress shirt instead of a vest - these should not be considered mutually exclusive - you're going to want a vest or cummerbund. If you're buying for prom and looking for value/max usefulness, buy a new black self-tie bow tie and cummerbund set - if necessary, from After Hours or whatever.

But whatever, enjoy your prom.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herny Singer is a local haberdasher in Downtown Edmonton, Alberta. They carried Hardy Aimes thru late 80's or early 90's, so the tux must be at least that old. Most of the Hardy Aimes they carried were Canadian made, not from Savile Row.

PearlJamFan

Reaction score
Ill try and get a pic or two with me wearing it tomorrow.

Ok, lets say its 15 years old...does the tux style change that much? Im finda freeken out over this, becuase i dont want to look like im wearing a "out of style" tux

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No one in high school knows what an 'out of style' tux is. If you wore a pink or powder blue one, with the right attitude, you would probably do well at a high school event.

In the case of that one, it appears to be a notch lapel, so it was out of style the day it was born. If it fits you well, you will look fine (for the audience). If you want to look really impressive, you'll have to go to a one-button peak lapel cut sharp, perhaps in midnight blue if possible.

For $7, it's not a waste, if you think you might ever wear the pants separately (and they fit). I know it's against the rules, and probably out of fashion, but I wear mine from time to time, and get compliments on them.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Hardy Amies was (he died in 2003) a coture and menswear designer. He was famously "dressmaker to the Queen" for many years. He probably pioneered the whole concept of "menswear designer" in Britain. He ran a shop at 14 Savile Row, out of which he sold his coture clothing for women and bespoke suits and shirts for men. The stuff was phenomenally expensive. And still is, for all I know; the shop is still there, after all, and still open. He also licensed his name to a huge range of RTW men's clothing, some of which he designed, some of which his students and staff designed, supposedly under his supervision.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads