• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My tux options

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize I am harping on this, but it's driving me up a wall. So my apologies in advance for bringing up my wedding tux again.
wink.gif
I think I have figured out all of my various options for getting a tux for my wedding. From most expensive to least (excluding the shirt, shoes, etc.): Custom-made by a local tailor 1300 MTM Hickey Freeman at Nordstrom 1300 MTM Burberry at Nordys 1000 MTM HSM at Nordys 900 MTM Joseph Abboud at Nordys 800 Tux from Syms plus tailoring 400-600 or so. I figure I can rule out the MTM HF, because if I'm going to spend that much I might as well get it custom-made. But then again I have no idea what sort of quality his work is--I get my stuff altered there, but have never had anything made by him. Either way I would rather not spend that much. Especially since shoes, shirt, waistcoat, studs, tie (anything else) will run a few hundred more dollars easily. I have a MTM Burberry that I quite like. Plus we have a Burberry in DC so I can call them and ask how much this will cost through them--maybe the same, I don't know. I love HSM so that seems like a good option. I'm dubious of the JA simply from having no experience with them. The labels that Syms carries (according to their website) for tuxes are John Weitz, Bill Blass, Adolfo, RL, Givenchy, Stanley Blacker, Jones NY, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, and Hugo Boss--nothing to write home about. My biggest issue here is that they tend to not carry much in 46 or 48 Short which I need. So that means not simply tailoring, but shorting the skirt of a R size jacket. I do it, but I'd rather not. What do you think? thanks, bob

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long do you have? A quick ebay search yielded only this of interest, but you might want to look around ebay, STP, and VCH for a while before taking the plunge on MTM, especially if you have a good tailor to alter it, since it sounds like you have trouble with OTR.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif
The dreaded notched lapel!

I know, I know. It's becoming distressingly prevalent. I actually talked to someone who thought that the bow tied tuxedo was purely for costume and waiters.

JordanB

Reaction score
Since it sounds like OTR doesn't fit you as well, I would go with MTM. Since you don't know the reliability of your tailor, I would not do custom from him.

Choose whichever MTM best fits your budget/desirability nexus.

I haven't heard the greatest things about Abboud, so I'd go with the HSM or Burberry. Since they're close in price, go with whichever you'd prefer. (The Hickey Freeman is probably better than both of them, but don't spend the extra $300 if it's not worth it to you. That could go a long way towards nice accessories.)

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think either the HSM or the Burberry are my best options here in my area. However, we're heading to NYC in a few weeks and that Syms may have a better selection of tuxedos. I know what they list on their website for suits doesn't include all they have (HF, for instance) so maybe the same is true for tuxes. If I can find a HF or HSM in a short there I will get that and pay for a bit of tailoring here at home. Then I could spend money on a nice waistcoat, tie, and shoes. edit: I forgot--I found a Burberry on EBay that I currently have a $5 bid on. If I get away with that--well...
wink.gif
bob

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get something when you go to NYC. Everywhere you look these days is a sale or a discounter, and you are bound to come up with something. Even if not, the choice is just much better there.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Century 21 if you're in NYC.The selection of tuxedos is not spectacular, but you might find something interesting.

Does Filene's Basement do formalwear?

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I realize I am harping on this, but it's driving me up a wall. So my apologies in advance for bringing up my wedding tux again.
wink.gif

I think I have figured out all of my various options for getting a tux for my wedding. From most expensive to least (excluding the shirt, shoes, etc.):

Custom-made by a local tailor 1300
MTM Hickey Freeman at Nordstrom 1300
MTM Burberry at Nordys 1000
MTM HSM at Nordys 900
MTM Joseph Abboud at Nordys 800
Tux from Syms plus tailoring 400-600 or so.

You know, to me it depends on how much you anticipate being able to wear the tux. Although when you own a tux - you will look for reasons to wear it. If you think you'll wear it less than 10 times in the next 10 years - Abboud or Syms may not be a bad option.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You make a very good point Rajesh06. I am currently in a job where I would wear it once a year for the next 30 years. But I'm looking for a new job.

Ultimately what matters is how it looks and price doesn't always correlate with fit and looks.

While in NYC I will check Syms on 56th (? across from teh Lever Building whichever street that is) and will venture down to Century 21 even though it will be a weekend (argh, I've heard it's a madhouse).

What about Filene's Basement? Or even Loehman's? Do either carry tuxes?

bob

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a job where I would wear it once a year for the next 30 years.

You'll always be ready for New Years Eve
cool.gif

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Will a new job offer as many possibilities to wear a tux as your current job does? I know, if you've just started the job hunt, you might not have the search narrowed down enough to answer that. However, if you're deciding between two positions that both have an annual formal party of some sort, you might already know you'll have the opportunity to don your tux at least once a year.

Ultimately what matters is how it looks and price doesn't always correlate with fit and looks.

I think you've hit on something very important here. A tux that you find for $200 is still too expensive if you hate the way you look or feel in it. Look around while you're in NYC. If you stumble upon a tux that was meant to be draped over your shoulders, go for it.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since it's a wedding tux, you want it to be foolproof. If you love HSM and you know the Nordy's can give you one that fits perfectly (i.e. you've ordered a MTM suit from them before), that's what I would choose. Forget how often you expect to wear it in the future and forget the low-budget options that may not fit right. This is your day; look smashing and enjoy it!

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinman's comment makes a lot of sense. When you're in NYC, see if the perfect tux appears. But don't stress about it. You can always go with the reliable MTM from Nordy's and know that you'll look great.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the custom tailor's work, I'd go with that, and get precisely the fabric, styling, fit and features you want. There aren't likely to be many black tie events that are as significant to you as this one.

But when you do go shopping for OTR, don't forget there's also a SYMS in lower Manhattan; I have no idea how their assortment compares with midtown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads