• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Trip to Hong Kong (Part 2): WW Chan

Jaygatsby28

Reaction score
Hi,

This is the second post from my trip to Hong Kong (first one can be seen here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=200513). Below are some of my acquisitions from WW Chan.

WW Chan - Blue suit and shirt

I first got measured and selected my fabrics in July at one of Chan's NYC visits to the Hilton in Midtown (by Patrick). I was recommended a blue suiting fabric (VBC Revenge) and picked out a conservative shirting fabric. Next time I saw Patrick was in HK the first day I arrived. The pictures below are from the first fitting:

The second fitting:

And the final fitting:

Some close ups:

Some pictures from home:

I really do love the suit, however one gripe I have with it are the shoulders. Next time/if they can fix it, I really do prefer the shoulder shape Peter Lee did for me (see below for a side by side). I don't know how to really express this, so if someone can shed some light on what the two shoulder types are called I would be very grateful. Lesson learned (but that's part of this whole process). The Chan suit is beautiful and very well put together.

Very interested in your comments!

Entrance to Chan:

Winter Coat
Also, while I was there, I decided to go for a winter coat (grey cashmere). I did the first fitting in HK, and received the garment in the mail. When Patrick visits in November, I need him to make some changes to it, but it looks amazing in person. In this fitting major changes were made to the shoulders (the proper shape and they were taking in about an inch).

Here is how the coat looks as it arrived. Major things for me are still the broadness of the shoulders and it needs some waist suppression (not to the level YFYF has in his Chan coat pics, which looks amazing on him). I wear my coats sometimes with a suit under and most of the times with just a shirt under (business casual), so I don't want this bad boy to be too big on me.

I really love the lining on this coat. Chan also added some "filler" in the coat to make it warmer during the winter.

Please let me know your comments/thoughts.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the suit. One question about the winter coat though, Is it 100 percent cashmere. The only reason I ask is because my winter coats that 100 percent cashmere are unlined and they keep me plenty warm in the frigid winter weather that we often get here in Boston. Just wondering what the purpose of the liner would be?

-LR

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it too, though you have the common SF problem of taking pics with the camera too close to your body, causing the illusion of the hips bulging... I suggest you set the timer on, put it at eye level, and stand a ways back. Anyway, I wonder how the shoulder mobility compares to Lee?

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I missed the shoulder side-by-side shot, but think this came out well ahead of your PL commission; well done.

Originally Posted by Svenn
I like it too, though you have the common SF problem of taking pics with the camera too close to your body, causing the illusion of the hips bulging... I suggest you set the timer on, put it at eye level, and stand a ways back. Anyway, I wonder how the shoulder mobility compares to Lee?

+1; the at-home pics aren't really that flattering.

wmb

Reaction score
suit looks great -- particularly from the back. not a fan of hacking pockets but that is personal choice... I have a navy suit on the way from chan too.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jay - thanks for sharing! The suit looks excellent. Chan seemed to do you well for your first visit. It always helps to be in HK for the fittings. If I had to be picky, I'd make the jacket a 1/2 inch longer and widen the shoulders a very slight bit. Always tough to go off photographs though. Glad you've been having fun! I need to get a bespoke overcoat one of these days.

emptym

Reaction score
Very nice. Thanks for the pics.

I love the people at Chan.

Jaygatsby28

Reaction score
Thanks guys. To answer some questions:

Yes it is 100% cashmere. Used to live in and travel often to Montreal, wanted to make sure the negative 40 degree days didn't get me down

Looks like I misplaced my side by side shoulder shot. I'll retake one and post. They are pretty different.

In terms of Chan vs Peter Lee. I like the price to quality point on Peter. I do agree Chan did an overall better job (looking at the back and arms). I guess there is no way I can fix these issues without going back and seeing Peter. Lucky that Chan visits NYC 3 times a year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads