• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Trip to an Outlet Mall and a Regular Mall With PSAs

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a day off of work today so I did some shopping here is my list of good deals. I went to Ontario Mills and Victoria Gardens.

Marshalls-RRl Jeans in destroyed white. $22 on final clearance
Vineyard ribbon belt $7 on final clearance, They had more
3 Ben sherman ties $10 each, They had more

Nordstrom Rack- 3 pairs of Robert Talbott Dress socks $6 Each, They had more
2 Ben Sherman Short Sleeve BD in Soho Fit $29 with 35% off, They had more
Loomstate Jacket $60
Havainas in Navy Blue and Grey (SP?) $10 each, They had more

BR non outlet- Black dress socks $1, They had more
Purple Sweater $30, They had more
3 fitted V neck shirts $6, They had more

BR outlet- Slimmer Shorts $20.

Wilsons Leather- 2 Levis Jackets. $20 each, They had more

RL Factory Store- Black Label Polo in black and white. They are small, but fit like a large in custom fit. Orig 200 reduced to 100$ with 75% off on clearance!!! They had more purple and black label but only in Large sizes.

Off Saks- Burberry underwear. 10$, They had more

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something I never understood... since Banana Republic/Gap/A&E/J.Crew etc. are only in the business of selling their own brand, wouldn't they all be, by definition, outlet stores?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fiance used to live in Victorville and her grandparents lived in Fontana, so when I'd fly to visit her we'd go to the two malls you mentioned. Victoria Gardens has a nice atmosphere but leaves much to be desired store-wise. Ontario Mills had some decent stuff at Off-Saks and Marshalls (RRL, Trovata basics, Earnest Sewn, Ever, Corpus comes to mind at the moment). IIRC, the Marshalls on Summit in Fontana had some nice stuff too. Of course, it wasn't flowing with great stuff, but it looks like they had a few odd things from Barneys. I nabbed a nice Isaia suit in my size from there for $275 a couple years back.

Did the RL outlet have any nice black or purple label suits/jackets?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
My fiance used to live in Victorville and her grandparents lived in Fontana, so when I'd fly to visit her we'd go to the two malls you mentioned. Victoria Gardens has a nice atmosphere but leaves much to be desired store-wise. Ontario Mills had some decent stuff at Off-Saks and Marshalls (RRL, Trovata basics, Earnest Sewn, Ever, Corpus comes to mind at the moment). IIRC, the Marshalls on Summit in Fontana had some nice stuff too. Of course, it wasn't flowing with great stuff, but it looks like they had a few odd things from Barneys. I nabbed a nice Isaia suit in my size from there for $275 a couple years back.

Did the RL outlet have any nice black or purple label suits/jackets?

No nothing like that. The Purple and Black label stuff was all on clearance, but most of the stuff was for lack of a better word wierd. The stuff didn't really fit and it all looked off. There actually wasn't many suits at all really.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The BR oultet clothes are different from the regular BR clothes. The BR outlet clothes even uses a different tag.

Originally Posted by tagutcow
Something I never understood... since Banana Republic/Gap/A&E/J.Crew etc. are only in the business of selling their own brand, wouldn't they all be, by definition, outlet stores?

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
The BR oultet clothes are different from the regular BR clothes. The BR outlet clothes even uses a different tag.

Same story for Gap, same company so duh; but still interesting

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I don't think you understand the true concept of an outlet. While yes, a Nike Outlet is a different business model than say J. Crew since they Nike sells to other retailers, Outlets for storefront brands serve to move lines of clothes the company may not want in regular stores for a miraid of reasons. These may be B-stock, unused/canceled/discontinued programs, misorders, pieces they purchased to fufill commitments with a manufacturer ETC, ETC, ETC. Outlets also serve to boost sales by functioning at a different market level and sell to consumers that a regular Gap/J.crew etc may never have walk in their store. If you have ever been to an outlet, they are often packed because the perception of "deals" create buyer feeding frenzies even if the "deal" isn't that great.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
I don't think you understand the true concept of an outlet. While yes, a Nike Outlet is a different business model than say J. Crew since they Nike sells to other retailers, Outlets for storefront brands serve to move lines of clothes the company may not want in regular stores for a miraid of reasons. These may be B-stock, unused/canceled/discontinued programs, misorders, pieces they purchased to fufill commitments with a manufacturer ETC, ETC, ETC.

Outlets also serve to boost sales by functioning at a different market level and sell to consumers that a regular Gap/J.crew etc may never have walk in their store. If you have ever been to an outlet, they are often packed because the perception of "deals" create buyer feeding frenzies even if the "deal" isn't that great.

Ah, okay... so essentially they're functioning as their own discounter. I've never been to an outlet mall, but just assumed that anything that wasn't a reseller was an outlet.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It also depends on the outlet store itself. Gap/J.Crew/BR and many more make things for an outlet store... BUT some like nordstroms rack actually are the marked down product and some deals can be had.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've haven't been in a BR outlet in a few years, but when I had been I felt like everything there was utter crap.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the most part that is true, but I have bought some things for incredible prices:
Leather Belts for 4-7 dollars, Socks for 2 dollars, 100% cotton Polo shirts 5 for dollars...
but most of the stuff they carry is utter crap.

Originally Posted by adamha21
I've haven't been in a BR outlet in a few years, but when I had been I felt like everything there was utter crap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads