• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Tricker's arrived! Three questions for the community...

LB_J

Reaction score
At first sight, I love the build quality. I was looking for something to straddle the line between classic / time-off while holding up to the winter. I think these will be grand. Here are those three questions:

1. Is anyone aware of Tricker's segmenting their offerings? I.e. producing superior and inferior models (sales, outlet etc.) in parallel for different vendors?

2. Right now, these are comfortably snug. Can I expect them to be comfortably comfortable once I've put a few miles on 'em?

3. Tricker's doesn't explicitly say that their leather is full-grain. With the exception of those that stipulate otherwise, can I more or less take for granted that they're using full grain?

Thanks!

image0[25790].jpeg

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the answer to the second and third questions is a yes (that is also pretty clearly full grain from the picture, in my opinion). Can't answer the first

MrCat

Reaction score
As to the first question, Tricker's used to make the wingtips for Thom Browne going back more than ten years ago. Between 2010 and 2011, TB changed makers. I have a pair of the Tricker's, and they're marvelously well made and comfortable.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. I think all Trickers are generally of a similar high standard. I don’t think they make lesser versions. Some leathers may be better than others in certain ways but that’s just one of those things.

I would imagine they’ll give a bit. The footbed will compress a bit as the cork layer underneath conforms to your foot and the leather should have a bit of give. They are sturdy though so this can take a little while.

3. I believe all Trickers should be full grain, I’ve never seen any poor leather used by them. The only exception might be the coated shiny leathers but even these are probably full grain.

monkey66

Reaction score
Similar to others.
1. The only difference in grades I am aware of is if you buy from the sample sale. With the samples there is always a possibility you get test shoes or rejected leather shoes. Saying that I have bought several pairs with no issues whatsoever.
2. All leather shoes will give a bit and this will take longer on a heavily built shoe. Think 100hrs wear to start to form on your foot. If they are too snug you may have an issue but only you can judge that.
3. All Trickers are full grain apart from Bookbinder/Patent finished as far as I know.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Trickers tends to punch above their price for their clicking consistency IMO

florent

Reaction score
Tricker's used to have a higher grade line which was called "St James Collection" but is now discontinued.
They also had a notoriously bad collaboration line with Corniche.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
I got a pair of walnut belgrave from their sample sale recently and they have some rub marks on inner side of the right shoe, though the issue is minor. There are also about 6 what appears to be staple holes on the insole. (No actual staples thought!). Otherwise, no creases and the shoes have not been worn so they were likely used for press clippings or sale samples.

I would say for the US $190 shipped they are leagues above AEs at the similar price range, and a notch above my Cheaneys (just slightly for better finishing)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads