My Tom Ford suit fit opinions?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DazNorthEast, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

He does other job nicely but he is just not familiar with tailoring shoulder work for TF suits. All these at my own expense. Not happy at all.
    I would always approach with caution when working around shoulders. It is better to work on end of the sleeves than to meddle with shoulders. That is why majority of RTW TF suits in boutiques have unfinished sleeves.

Again based on my own experiences, even then, depending on how picky you are (u have to be when purchasing such expensive suits), the quality of working buttonholes in certain boutiques are questionable. That being said, I can confidently vouch for the workmanship in HK boutique. I have them done a few times and the end result is always top-notch. Hence, I would not hesitate to take the trouble to fly there at my own convenience to have them fixed, than to have someone else do it locally and wrecked it for life.

2. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

See also: unicorn; leprechaun; fairy godmother

3. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I think you are showing your lack of "high end" experience here.

I am sure TF has tailors that can chip a shoulder.

Last edited: May 5, 2014

4. Chopper88

Chopper88 Senior member

[​IMG]

Do you have any before and after pics of such work? I keep reading there are two camps saying "This is easy to do for a good tailor" and "No this is impossible!".

Would like to see some proof of a bad fit before, and a great fit after.

5. DazNorthEast

DazNorthEast Active Member

Hopefully I can post one in about a weeks time :)

6. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I don't see why they want to fix the shoulder width. It looks fine.

7. Corneliani

Corneliani Member

May I ask what shirt you're wearing in that photo? Love the way the collars hold on it.

8. DazNorthEast

That was a William Hunt shirt I got for £40 about a year ago.
    I've got 2 TF classic collar shirts coming with the suit and those collars are the best I've seen yet for holding up.

Last edited: May 5, 2014

9. DazNorthEast

Hi Guys

Well I received my suit back today and I have to say I'm really disappointed.

The arms now feel too tight and if I lift my arms it feels like the whole jacket moves.
    I also got my jeans tapered but you now see a noticeable difference from the knee (MC Hammer look) rather than a gradual taper and they feel a bit twisted below the knee.

I'll have to make another trip to London now at great expense but my main worry is I feel like the suit jacket is ruined.

Just FYI I bought the suit elsewhere but took it to TF in London to be tailored to make sure it was done by the brand experts but after spending £305 on tailoring costs I'm feeling really disappointed.

Darren

Last edited: May 12, 2014

10. DazNorthEast

11. Viral

Viral Senior member

that looks terrible........ouch! Just remember, a good tailor is a good tailor. Most high-end retail stores don't have good tailors. I've seen and experienced butcher jobs from Saks, Polo Mansion, and even Bergdorf Goodman. I only trust my own tailor regardless of any incentives offered by in-house services (which are usually outsourced anyway!).

So, what is the next step for you? Can they reimburse you or provide a replacement jacket?

12. DazNorthEast

No idea at the moment, I'm guessing they will have to provide a replacement jacket.
    It's already cost me over £100 in travel costs for the original trip plus the £305 tailoring costs and now it's going to be another £100+ to travel back not to mention the 6 hour round trip.

13. Viral

Viral Senior member

I see.

Who's idea was it to alter the shoulder? With a decent amount of models and cuts to choose from I'm surprised you didn't get an item that fit you in the shoulders off the rack. Golden rule is to always make sure shoulders fit first prior to altering any part of a jacket........can't believe you even got into this predicament.

Please keep us posted on the outcome......good luck!

14. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

The shoulders looked fine in the original pic. Don't see why they wanted to alter it.

15. DazNorthEast

I thought so too!

You'll see in my post about taking it in that I thought it just needed the sleeves shortened, it felt a nice fit.