• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My 'to do list' for NYC trip next week

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holland and Holland is closed?  I never had a chance to see it (although I know Saks carries some of their stuff); is the Beretta store worth seeing for the hunting and sporting inspired clothings, etc?
Yes, definitely check it out. It's right next to the Etro store, so take a look there too.

wja

Reaction score
Don't waste your one lunch at Barney's. If you're determined to dine in a clothing store then go downstairs at Nicole Fahri. BUT, I agree with arvi; La Goulue is ground zero for the ladies who lunch. If $35 for a plate of pasta disturbs you then try my personal favorite..Nosidam...just a little bit up Madison. While around there, drop into Hermes and look at the belts. Beretta is worth a quick look. Have a ball.

itzamazing

Reaction score
There's lots of eye candy at Fred's (restaurant at Barneys). It's not the best food (think bird sized portions for their clientele) but I always stop in when I can...I agree that there are better lunch options if you are only here for a day.

arvi

Reaction score
Don't waste your one lunch at Barney's.  If you're determined to dine in a clothing store then go downstairs at Nicole Fahri.  BUT, I agree with arvi; La Goulue is ground zero for the ladies who lunch.  If $35 for a plate of pasta disturbs you then try my personal favorite..Nosidam...just a little bit up Madison.  .
Fred's at Barneys is like a hotel dining room..much better to eat at street level..Cafe Nosidam is great and much less snooty that La Goulue..also you can try Nello a few blocks uo from Barneys
Another random thought:i don't advise a trip to Bloomingdales, but there is a new store that has opened nearby(60th & 3d ave)..Phils 1908...he carries a great line of suits,jackets & shirts all very much in the neopolitan style..his prices won't slay you like Kiton,Borrelli,ecc.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For lunch, you must try Aureole, across the street around the corner from Barneys. It has the best value. 4 courses tasting menu $35, $55 with matching wine. Or 3 courses prix fixe $20, $35 with wine, available after 2pm.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
La Goulue it is....thanks for the tip, guys. From what I read, I hope I'm ok in diesel jeans, striped banana republic shirt, attolini suit jacket.

wja

Reaction score
You may get an evil look from the person who greets you at the door.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm, is that at lunch for Aureole? The Las Vegas branch has increased their prices to $69 for a 3 course meal and $99 for a 5 course tasting menu...

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, is that at lunch for Aureole?  The Las Vegas branch has increased their prices to $69 for a 3 course meal and $99 for a 5 course tasting menu...
Yes, both of them are lunch menus.

Here's $35 4-course tasting lunch menu:

Hawaiian King Prawn ceviche,chayote squash,and green apple
Diver scallop 'a la nage', spaghetti squash and wood ears
Duo of veal tenderloin and cheeks, hedgehogs and risotto
AUREOLE DESSERTS

The prices you cited must be for dinner menu.

Kai2

Reaction score
Ahh, the Royal Shave at Art of Shaving is a great NY experience.  You literally look younger afterwards.
After the Royal Shave you should walk over to GCT and have a cocktail at the Campbell Apartment--if you like vintage dressy places. (I've seen nice looking women--probably from CT--there).

itzamazing

Reaction score
(Lint Brush @ 02 Nov. 2004, 7:01) Ahh, the Royal Shave at Art of Shaving is a great NY experience. You literally look younger afterwards.
After the Royal Shave you should walk over to GCT and have a cocktail at the Campbell Apartment--if you like vintage dressy places. (I've seen nice looking women--probably from CT--there).
Yes, you are probably correct. Campbell Apt is highly overrated (dare I say tacky?) and has had several complaints of poor service, etc..... But it is very, VERY popular with the B&T crowd, in particular CT with its easy access from Grand Central. I'd avoid it.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah....sounds like it had better be the whole Attolini suit on Tuesday, for my culinary and imbibing adventures, rather than just the jacket with jeans. Mental note: carry store shopping bag at all times, so as not to be mistaken for a Bergdorf or Barneys employee.

Hope I can find Lexington Bar and Books-- looking forward to cigars (one in a bar, one while strolling central park) in NYC.

Urban Warrior

Reaction score
I'll through in a quick 2nd for Cafe Nosidam just abouth the street from Barney's... Great place

Brian SD

Reaction score
Ah....sounds like it had better be the whole Attolini suit on Tuesday, for my culinary and imbibing adventures, rather than just the jacket with jeans. Mental note: carry store shopping bag at all times, so as not to be mistaken for a Bergdorf or Barneys employee. Hope I can find Lexington Bar and Books-- looking forward to cigars (one in a bar, one while strolling central park) in NYC.
Just look GOOD in your suit, and you can avoid being mistaken.
cool.gif

sleeper

Reaction score
Arvi
Is Via Quadronno between Madison and Fifth - it's very narrow, with a bar on your left as you enter, with a seating area at the back, with excellent sandwiches, mostly on a ham/cheese theme? If so, I concur in your view that it's a great espresso bar. One of the nice things about New York is that it can blend the American service culture with the best that Europe has to offer, so it can in a way be better than the European original. There is a French cafe on Lexington called Payard, that is similar, with wonderful chocolates.

Lunch at Aureole looks like a steal. La Goulue is good for people watching. You might want to try Le Bilbouquet as well. There is also a restaurant on Lexinton called Orsay, which is good. I have heard it called Div-Orsay, because of the large number of blonde upper East side divorcees who lunch there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads