1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My 'to do list' for NYC trip next week

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Nov 2, 2004.

1. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

La Goulue it is....thanks for the tip, guys. From what I read, I hope I'm ok in diesel jeans, striped banana republic shirt, attolini suit jacket.

2. wja

wja Well-Known Member

You may get an evil look from the person who greets you at the door.

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Hmm, is that at lunch for Aureole? The Las Vegas branch has increased their prices to $69 for a 3 course meal and $99 for a 5 course tasting menu...

4. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Yes, both of them are lunch menus.

Here's $35 4-course tasting lunch menu:

Hawaiian King Prawn ceviche,chayote squash,and green apple
    Diver scallop 'a la nage', spaghetti squash and wood ears
    Duo of veal tenderloin and cheeks, hedgehogs and risotto
    AUREOLE DESSERTS

The prices you cited must be for dinner menu.

5. Kai2

Kai2 New Member

After the Royal Shave you should walk over to GCT and have a cocktail at the Campbell Apartment--if you like vintage dressy places. (I've seen nice looking women--probably from CT--there).

6. itzamazing

itzamazing Senior member

(Lint Brush @ 02 Nov. 2004, 7:01) Ahh, the Royal Shave at Art of Shaving is a great NY experience. You literally look younger afterwards.
    After the Royal Shave you should walk over to GCT and have a cocktail at the Campbell Apartment--if you like vintage dressy places. (I've seen nice looking women--probably from CT--there).
    Yes, you are probably correct. Campbell Apt is highly overrated (dare I say tacky?) and has had several complaints of poor service, etc..... But it is very, VERY popular with the B&T crowd, in particular CT with its easy access from Grand Central. I'd avoid it.

7. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Ah....sounds like it had better be the whole Attolini suit on Tuesday, for my culinary and imbibing adventures, rather than just the jacket with jeans. Mental note: carry store shopping bag at all times, so as not to be mistaken for a Bergdorf or Barneys employee.

Hope I can find Lexington Bar and Books-- looking forward to cigars (one in a bar, one while strolling central park) in NYC.

8. Urban Warrior

Urban Warrior Senior member

I'll through in a quick 2nd for Cafe Nosidam just abouth the street from Barney's... Great place

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Just look GOOD in your suit, and you can avoid being mistaken. [​IMG]

10. sleeper

sleeper Member

Arvi
    Is Via Quadronno between Madison and Fifth - it's very narrow, with a bar on your left as you enter, with a seating area at the back, with excellent sandwiches, mostly on a ham/cheese theme? If so, I concur in your view that it's a great espresso bar. One of the nice things about New York is that it can blend the American service culture with the best that Europe has to offer, so it can in a way be better than the European original. There is a French cafe on Lexington called Payard, that is similar, with wonderful chocolates.

Lunch at Aureole looks like a steal. La Goulue is good for people watching. You might want to try Le Bilbouquet as well. There is also a restaurant on Lexinton called Orsay, which is good. I have heard it called Div-Orsay, because of the large number of blonde upper East side divorcees who lunch there.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I suggest not taking too many photos. Unless one has a classic rangefinder or twin lens. But be strategic.

People always leave a bad impression constantly snapping away with small digital cameras.

12. arvi

arvi Senior member

yes...73d street between madison & 5th..they have more than just paninis though..also excellent,albeit expensive, pastas..best feature is the authentically feeeling italian espresso up front

13. arvi

arvi Senior member

lexington bar & book is on lex between 72d & 73 streets..by the way while strolling central park look for the boathouse cafe..they have an outdoor area by the lake which may still be open this toime of year..cgarettes are ok but don't know about cigars

14. gregory

gregory Senior member

My friend and I received very impolite service at Payard.

15. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

I can't believe no mention of stopping by the Alan Flusser Custom shop? For heaven's sake, stop by, have a drink and say hello to Mark Rykkien, who is managing the shop for Alan. AF is there often, you should really meet him in person. They are friendly, cordial gentlemen.

And no sartorial visit to NYC is complete without a visit to the Polo Mansion at 72nd & Madison. Love him or hate him, Ralph Lauren has created a visual masterpiece at the Rhinelander Mansion. Make a stop there and al least look around at the architecture. It's new but beautiful.

16. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Forgot to mention that. I definitely want to stop by Alan Flusser, and I'd hoped to pass the RL Mansion while strolling down Madison Avenue. This is shaping up to be a great 2.5 days in the city, thanks to your advice.

Now, if I can just keep the spending under control.....

17. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

There is life below 23rd Street.
    The prices are lower and the women are hotter.

18. VWpete

VWpete Senior member

Amen Shirtmaven... Though the prices in SoHo sure rival Madison anymore. I barely go above 23rd, except to Barney's and to drewl at Chrome Hearts. To each their own.

19. dorian

dorian Senior member

HAHA.... the prices are lower.... and --- on average --- the women are indeed hotter (the address of nearly every model just haaaappens to be below 23rd... hmmm.... I'm moving...) Foxx, send me a pm if you'd like some company for that drink and cigar at Bar and Books, or wherever else, for that matter. I have some appointments Tuesday, but nothing too time consuming. Ooooh, and for a nice meal (dinner, ideally) try Barbaluc on 65th between Lex and Park. The people there are great, any veal special incredible, and the selection of wines is absurd. Oh, and if you'd like me to let them know you'll be coming by, um, I guess, send me a pm. [​IMG] In fact, I'm heading over there in a few for dinner. [​IMG]