• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My thoughts on the posters in this forum

sucka d

Reaction score
I been lurking for more than a year now, and decided to jump in and post. My feeling on this post, is that most in this forum are very knowledgeable and in the know when it comes to fashon. However, i notice that each individual in this forum belong to certain segments in the fashion spectrum.

I noticed there are posters on this board take a page out of Flusser's book and wear the typical fashion of Brioni suits, Patek watches, and such.

And Then there are people like Euro Interloper, who tend to follow more of the fashions of Paris, Milan, and such and follows more of the Haute couture culture.

Then there are those, Like La Guy, who is in the know when it comes to obscure labels, street wear, and such, while maintaining and utilizing a grasp of the other types of fashion out there.

I dont mean to generalize here, becasue im sure most in this board have versatile tastes in clothing andl wear what we want with no regard for a certain "image" or boundries. Many of us all fit into those three examples i listed above. However, we still favor a certain "look" more than others. For example, I love all types of clothings from Broni to marc jacobs to gucci to those obscure labels you only find in soho and Fred Segal. However, if i had to choose only one certain "look" given my point and sitatuion in life (college student and into creative design), i would rather choose the casual, street look; picking rare pair of Nike Dunks over ferregamo loafers, rogan jeans over cashmere Kiton Pants, and a silk gucci bomber over a brioni wool sportcoat. And you know what, this could all change 15 years from now.

What do you guys think...Am i fair in making an assesment of you all...Besides Im new, so what the hell do i know

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I noticed there are posters on this board take a page out of Flusser's book and wear the typical fashion of Brioni suits, Patek watches, and such.
Hmmm, well I can't remember Flusser pushing Brioni and Patek but anyhow, if that is typical then I want to be typical so I can own a Patek
smile.gif
(For a short while that is until I sold it for lotsa money.)

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think...Am i fair in making an assesment of you all
Sure, probably. You can generalize anything. I like action movies over horror movies... generally.

Does it matter, though? We like what we like, that may change over time. I think you answered your own question.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just goes to show that everyone has their own style and tastes

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
I think it is unfair to place someone in one single category. Profession dictates a lot. I for one must dress in the "Flusser" style for work. However, come night time or the weekends, you will not find a hint of Brioni, Patek, or otherwise on me. At that time, I prefer the "Haute couture culture."

I am sure that others feel/dress the same.... for the place, audience, and event. Not because of a category they fit in.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that while the categories may be criticized as being overly broad, they nonetheless illustrate the diversity of the forum membership. Some of us are younger, some older. Some have more conservative, and some, more liberal, tendencies.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess is that you could somewhat correlate tastes with age. As I get older, my tastes are morphing into a more conservative style. At my age, I would feel silly wearing some of the trendier couture and street styles (and my wife and kids would mock me.)

mrprlover

Reaction score
...and some of are down-right broke college folks. That's my category.
smile.gif

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with taste correlating somewhat with age. Although my fashion sense has always been a bit conservative and "dressy," my wardrobe definitely reflects my academic and professional background (school, work, followed by more school, rinse, repeat). For example, even though I owe the "gov-ment" a lot of cash, I still need to wear a shirt, tie, and slacks for my preceptorships... oh, and then I have the weekend wardrobe for lounges, bars, theater, etc.

Good luck to the college guys. Always buy quality, you might find yourself wearing high school shirts to your first job (I still wear my original pair of Cole Haan loafers).

norcal

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just like looking nice, and appreciate fine clothing. I like a WIDE variety. I'm just as comfortable in a t shirt, jeans and sandals (that all fit the way I like of course) as I am in a suit and tie. I tend to like more classic looking things (Zegna, Purple Label, etc.) than 'current' (Prada, Boss, Gucci), but there are pieces I could pick from the latter that I love. I certainly don't fall into the category of Flusser-ite... I can't afford to
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads