• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My thoughts on Barba shirt.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I got my 1st Barba shirt today.

The craftmanship of this shirt is 1st quality. The hand stitchings on Barba shirt are really well done and visually pleaseing. Also it has hand stitchings just as much as Borrelli shirts that I own; Collar seam, shoulder seams, arm hole, and buttonholes. The construction of Barba's collar looks as same as Borrelli's; They both have soft "canvas" in collar. I love buttons too. They are really almost equal as Borrelli shirt buttons.

In terms of fit, Barba fits much nicer than Borrelli shirts. Borrelli shirts that I have fits too blousy where Barba fits like it was made for me. The sleeve length of Barba is about an inch long, but that's a minor issue.

Fabric quality of Barba is 1st quality. Very soft and comfortable when it is worn. Like typical Napolitian shirts, the fabric has nice soft "lush" on it. Just like the way I like it!

I am sold to Barba. I do not think I'll be buying any other shirt brands, if I was, then it'll be Jantzan.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen it written that the same seamstresses that make Borrelli shirts make Barba as well. Evidently, the factories are quite close to one another, and the crew that has finished making a bunch of Borrelli shirts simply moves, en masse, to the Barba operation and works on their shirts. The implication of this story, I think, is that the quality is about even. Can't swear that this story is true; perhaps someone else can weigh in. Ian Daniels would know for sure.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Does Borelli make a more square shoulder than Barba? I like everything about Barba--including the frequent sales in Frankfurt
biggrin.gif
--but can't wear them because the shoulders are so sloped.

Tom

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tiger02,

Really? I did not notice that my Barba shirt has more sloped than other shirts. But when I put it on, it shapes shoulder line real well, thus creating real masculine look that I really like!

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Other than cut (Barba usually being trimmer), the biggest difference between the two shirts is that Barba has two grades of finishing, one employing more hand tailoring than the other. Borrelli only uses a single grade which employs about the most hand tailoring for an OTR shirt that you can get.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best thing about Barba shirts (apart from the buttons) is how well they hold up. I just wish Stonestreet's in Cambridge still carried them. I am going to check out the new ones Ian just got in.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Other than cut (Barba usually being trimmer), the biggest difference between the two shirts is that Barba has two grades of finishing, one employing more hand tailoring than the other. Borrelli only uses a single grade which employs about the most hand tailoring for an OTR shirt that you can get.

I want to see this "high" end Barba shirt as my regular Barba shirt has a decent amount of hand work, matching Borrelli shirts toe to toe. To have more hand work than this shirt, it would have any long seams along the body of the shirt hand stitched.

I went to Holt Renf. just the other day and show this cotton shirt and it had some sewen details on the back of the shirt. It costs $1200CAD, the shirt was made in India, and everything was stitched with a machine. No single needle stitchs either!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
I want to see this "high" end Barba shirt as my regular Barba shirt has a decent amount of hand work, matching Borrelli shirts toe to toe. To have more hand work than this shirt, it would have any long seams along the body of the shirt hand stitched.

I went to Holt Renf. just the other day and show this cotton shirt and it had some sewen details on the back of the shirt. It costs $1200CAD, the shirt was made in India, and everything was stitched with a machine. No single needle stitchs either!

Some of the stuff in Holt's these days is scary. I saw jackets with all sorts of intentionally messy stitching on the lapels and all over with patches of different fabric sewn-on in random places. wtf are they thinking?

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whats the shrinkage like on Barba shirts i'm about to order my first ones.

UR003

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Even more than Attolini (which I like better than Borrelli as regards fit)?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Some of the stuff in Holt's these days is scary. I saw jackets with all sorts of intentionally messy stitching on the lapels and all over with patches of different fabric sewn-on in random places. wtf are they thinking?

I would not be concerned about shrinkage as Barba would pre-wash the fabric.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got another Barba shirt. It is black label shirt. Gold label has more hand works than black label. Black label only has hand stitching on armhole seams, every other seams are done with single needle machine stitchings.

kcgreg

Reaction score
Have you got pics of the shirt?

kcc

Reaction score
could someone rank the following shirts based on MTM quality? Barba, Borrelli, A. Matuozzo, & Merolla e de L'Ero

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who else has that Barba collar roll ... I love that look.

Can I get this same roll in a Jantzen?
colgate.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads