• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Thom Browne suit (PICs)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Here is the Thom Browne suit I got a couple weeks back from Yoox. Some geezers were interested in seeing how it looked so here it is, before going out to get my jive on.

Fabric is really awesome in real life, a subtle grey herringbone pattern that gives the fabric a nice sheen, reminds me of Dormeuil tonik material. Wool has a great hand to it, being a bit thicker than I thought it might be. 3 Buttons, lapel rolls very nicely to the 2nd (altho in pic I am buttoning top two). Sleeves have functional cuffs and the sleeve length came perfectly for me, not needing any alteration...shows .5" shirt cuff. Jacket is shorter than normal, but not severly short. About 3" shorter than my normal suit jackets. Trousers have no belt loops, but has a 2-button cinch back at the rear. The details in the suit are really top notch, from the buttons, to the actual tailoring. Needless to say, it is much better in person than photos indicate and fits like a glove.

thombrowne2qo.jpg

I'm wearing a new shirt I got from Janzten last week. the fabric is Checkers 238 (orange/pink gingham) and the shirt is great. PERFECT fit once again, and the orange/pink gingham is subtle and pop just enough color to spruce an outfit up.

check2orangeandpinkgingham10-07.jpg

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking great. But honestly, I wouldn't have thought it as a TB if you didn't say so.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I wouldn't have thought it as a TB if you didn't say so.

Exactly, I think it depends on how you choose to wear it. Most of the examples we've seen are these extreme pics where the trousers are way too short, the sleeves too short (probably because the wearer's arms are too long for his default jacket sleeve length) and maybe even worn a size too small. I like to think of mine as a real life Thom Browne, worn in a real life context.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
First, I will say it looks very good on you--congratulations on the new suit! My only suggestion would be to unbutton the top button, but that's just me. (I would have gone for cuffs, too.)

Man, those are tiny lapels.

As for the usual depictions of Thom Browne and the extremity of the fit and short tailoring on sleeves and trouser length, it is usually presented that way by Browne himself and the purveyors of the brand. That's apparently the way they envision it.

To my knowledge the quality of cloth and construction has never been questioned, but rather the price to value. Yoox would be the way to go on something like that.

I hep to the shoes, coolcat.
biggrin.gif

AlanC
Geezer

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks v. good, actually. Like the most luxe version ever of something in an early 60s Sears catalog, which TB says is one of his inspirations.

Only tweak I would suggest in the outfit is slightly shorter collar points to go with tie and lapel.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Man, those are tiny lapels.
That jumped out at me too. Not just skinny, but too short. If the button stance was much lower then I think the lapels would look a lot better. That said, overall, it does look pretty good on you.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Perhaps if the top button was unbuttoned (as suggested above) it would allow a little bit more length to the lapel.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The suit looks great but it's nowhere near the Thom Browne asthetic that created so much noise on the Forum. The trousers and jacket length are certainly within the realm of normal lengths so, to my eye, this suit could be from a variety of cutting edge designers and does not definitively scream Thom Browne. BTW, that's a good thing.
smile.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very fashion forward which is cool.

But the super high gorge and tiny lapels make your head look rather magnified and showcased.

But this 'ain't' no business suit. So enjoy.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
thanks for the replies.....yea, the narrow lapels are a selling point for me as that's what I'm into. I have an Ozwald Boateng suit that has lapels probably half the size of this one. And I'll prolly wear it buttoned in the middle only, as it does have a really nice roll to it.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
First, I will say it looks very good on you--congratulations on the new suit! My only suggestion would be to unbutton the top button, but that's just me. (I would have gone for cuffs, too.)

I would normally agree with you on both points, Alan. But I like the lack of cuffs on suits cut this slim, and I fear the tiny lapels might look odd if left to roll to the second.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Looking great. But honestly, I wouldn't have thought it as a TB if you didn't say so.

I agree completely. Hell, I would not mind that much wearing that myself!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads