• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Thom Browne suit (PICs)

Patrick06790

Reaction score
Looks like you're going to be hanging out with the young Paul Weller. It would look silly on me but it's great on you.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that was on Yoox, I guess its a few seasons old, which could be why we like it better than current TB (hehe...like tuberculosis).

IMHO, Thom started out doing some interesting, and conscientiously old-fashioned work, that looked nice (in parts at least). Since then, he's gotten too "fashion", and turned into a parody of himself, exaggerating the cut more and more to try to maintain column inches and keep his marketshare in a fickle city.

Hedi, meanwhile, has just gotten boring...

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Jason, it looks totally awesome.

I hate to say it, but to everyone else - I told you so.

So you cats who were so anti-TB were before saying, "His clothes aren't wearable in every day situations," are given an example of an every day situation where his clothes are perfectly acceptable, and you completely switch the argument to "If you don't wear it the same way TB does, you aren't wearing it right."

And holy **** Jason, $352. I can't believe that.

The guy you quoted does not represent the rest of the anti-TB contingent. I think it's pretty clear the stance was that TB clothes are unwearable when worn the typical TB way, that is to say the way they were worn in the Sartorialist's photos that sparked the discussion. Of course they become wearable if you fix everything that is ridiculous about them (which I have no problem with, whether it conflicts with Browne's vision or not).

aybojs

Reaction score
This whole Thom Browne pissing contest (on both sides) is getting very annoying, and it's a shame that it detracts from the rest of the thread.

Personally, I see elements I both like and dislike about the outfit. The suit conforms to his body shape pretty well, the fabric looks nice enough (can we get a closeup if possible?). The shirt is also in a nice, colorful fabric that goes well with a light gray. On the other hand, I think the lapels are way too skinny/short, and the choice of white bucs makes the outfit look a bit affected for my tastes. Seeing a more traditional pairing of shoes might help me get off the fence on this one.

My overall conclusion is that, yes, when altered to fit proper standards and paired with basic shirt/tie/shoe accessories, a suit by Thom Browne can be wearable. Of course as others have mentioned, it's not going to be an everyday suit for sure (which I realize isn't what you were looking for anyway), and some of the details are going to give the wearer an inevitably costumey appearance (probably not moreso than other major designer, but still). Based on what we've seen from GS's wardrobe in the past, I think it's fair to say that's kind of look he cultivates, so it works for him.

That said, I think Browne can work, but it requires someone who both has the physical build to wear his clothes and the desire to create an eccentric sort of look. Again, this is true for most designers, but I think Browne takes it to an extreme to the point that his look, even when adjusted to remove its most exaggerated elements, can only work for a very limited subset of the population, and even then only in certain settings. So while the suit seems to have worked out fine for GS, I don't think it makes a decisive statement for either side. I'm getting sick of the aggressively toned factional debate though, and to me trying to proclaim Browne as either the Second Coming or the Anti-Christ is giving a niche designer who just has access to good marketing machines and a fashion press hungry for a poster child far more visibility than his not-all-that-groundbreaking designs merit.

pkincy

Reaction score
I am quite often the first to yell....Pee Wee Hermann, when I see this look in a PWH exaggerated way on a model; what I may call the "lil brother's suit" syndrome.

However this look is fashion forward not exaggerated. I like it. I like the high gorge and small lapels. The suit may be a tad short deliberately but I don't get the "lil brothers" suit feel at all.

Nicely done to my eye! And this is the way I think the PWH, now TB look, may evolve into the mainstream or at least semimainstream.

Perry

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amirrorcrackd
What size is the suit? And what size are you?
Thom Browne size 2....which is a 38, my usual suit size. Trousers have a tad larger drop than normal, about 31" waist and here's a couple closeup pics for aybojs of the fabric (difficult to photograph its sheen) and a sleeve detail
thombrownesleeve4gg.jpg
thombrownefabric8kl.jpg

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
working sleeve buttons on an OTR mail ordered from the internet is a hell of a gamble Jason...anyhow, it fits, so gamble paid off.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
working sleeve buttons on an OTR mail ordered from the internet is a hell of a gamble Jason...anyhow, it fits, so gamble paid off.

I agree Matt....but I had tried on some TB size 2 jackets a year ago and found the sleeves to be perfect for my arm length (show .5" cuff and all that) so it wasn't really a gamble. But yea, it's definitely not for everyone to pull the trigger on.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs
This whole Thom Browne pissing contest (on both sides) is getting very annoying, and it's a shame that it detracts from the rest of the thread.
Agree 100%. I have a sneaking suspicion howbah and yehudi are other members trying to go incognito, or even the dearly departed Nick Nightengale. That makes it so much the worse.

the choice of white bucs makes the outfit look a bit affected for my tastes.
What exactly are white bucks? Those seem to be the white Paul Smith wingtips GS posted a thread on a month or so ago.

Jason, it looks killer on you, and this thread would have been much more interesting if it had stuck to the topic at hand. I don't think it counts as eccentric. Fashiony and unique, definitely; business inappropriate, also definitely--although with black shoes even that might work. Really great man, and can't beat the deal.

Tom

FMINUS

Reaction score
I am not a big fan of the narrow lapel/narrow shoulder combo
sly.gif
suits as it normally makes my noggin look bigger than it already is!!!

Millerp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The False Prophet
If that was on Yoox, I guess its a few seasons old, which could be why we like it better than current TB (hehe...like tuberculosis).

IMHO, Thom started out doing some interesting, and the runway?conscientiously old-fashioned work, that looked nice (in parts at least). Since then, he's gotten too "fashion", and turned into a parody of himself, exaggerating the cut more and more to try to maintain column inches and keep his marketshare in a fickle city.

Hedi, meanwhile, has just gotten boring...

So, is he parodying himself here just to get attention?

http://www.papermag.com/?section=article&parid=1108

Similar to what occurs in womens' runway shows? The Bergdorf (eg) buyers
buy toned down versions of what they see on the runway.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ok state my bias upfront - im an anti Browne. BUT I think this suit totally suits Jason and looks great on him, and is exactly the look he works on. However of all the Browne pics Ive seen, this is the first I havent thought looked ridiculous.

What I find interesting though is that in a couple of places above, this suit is described as being 'fashion forward' and so on.

I query this only because Jason bought it at Yoox, meaning (as acknowledged earlier) it is probably 3 yrs old. In Browne terms, thats what, 5, 6 seasons figuring a couple of collections a year.

Is a suit from summer 2003 still 'forward looking' - very forward maybe, since it took them 6 seasons and a 90% discount to move it!

when hundreds and hundreds of those new silly looking short suit things surface on the overstock sites in 2008, will they still be considered fashion forward?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I query this only because Jason bought it at Yoox, meaning (as acknowledged earlier) it is probably 3 yrs old.

According to an inner tag it is from Fall/Winter 2004. I'm not sure when TB first came on the scene as I had never heard of him until his Spring 2005 collection.

DoubleVented

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Oh, I knew I forgot something! If I didn't say it before, I love how it looks. Wish I had snagged that deal before you did... I would have put all my last paychecks into it.

It would be nice if the brand Sacque Suit would appear on Bluefly or Yoox... they're already affordable for being so well made at full retail.

Jovan -- Thomas Cunningham here from Sacque Suit.

I don't have enough extra inventory for Bluefly right now (this is a *good* thing for my business), but I may have some samples and and a very few fall '06 suits up on eBay in a couple of months.

I'll put up a notice when I get it together.

best,

t

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads