• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Tailor Blue Blazer - Fabric Recs & Other Tips Needed

Young Pro

Reaction score
Hi,
I am considering commissioning my first sports jacket from MyTailor on their next visit to Toronto. I've got 20+ shirts from them I'm very happy with so far. I've got a local tailor who does a pretty good job on my suits/jackets currently, but the MyTailor price point is attractive enough that I've decided to give it a shot.

I'm thinking of having a not-quite-navy/indigo blazer made up. I already own a dark navy MTM Samuelsohn blazer from many years ago that I'm looking to supplement. I'm thinking of something in a lighter shade of blue, though not all the way to bright or royal blue. Any fabric recommendations would be most appreciated. Looking for something for year-round (or close) weight here on the East Coast, perhaps with a bit of texture.

In terms of style, I am thinking:
- 2 button
- relatively natural shoulder
- patch lower pockets (undecided on top pocket, welt vs patch)
- a little bit shorter than my suit jackets to better accommodate more casual wear

Attaching two pics I've found for inspiration, any more would certainly be welcome!

Also, if anyone has any experiences specific to MyTailor on suits/jackets that would be helpful, please share.

Thanks everyone.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much are you looking to spend? Price point can vary dramatically based on the fabric you select. Also, are you only interested in solids or would say a subtle herringbone blue jacket with brown horn buttons be something you're open to? If you do want to wear the jacket casually, I think a bit of texture may be better. Then again, I do not much care for the blazer with jeans look.

Young Pro

Reaction score

How much are you looking to spend? Price point can vary dramatically based on the fabric you select. Also, are you only interested in solids or would say a subtle herringbone blue jacket with brown horn buttons be something you're open to? If you do want to wear the jacket casually, I think a bit of texture may be better. Then again, I do not much care for the blazer with jeans look.

I was thinking up to $1,500ish, though that's not a hard cap by any means. This would be a very versatile staple piece that I'd anticipate having for years and getting a lot of wear out of, so not overly concerned with cost.

Definitely open to something tone-on-tone or with a bit of texture, would in fact be preferable and make it more distinguishable from my existing navy blazer.

The jacket would mostly be worn with either wool or chino-type pants, both with and without a tie, though could perhaps see occasional use with a pair of plain dark wash jeans (J Brand Kanes or similar)

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Porter and Harding has a navy herringbone in their Glorious Twelfth book that could work (11-12 ounces). It may be a bit darker than what you are looking for, though the texture may provide enough differentiation from your prior blazer and I tend to prefer herringbone in a navy vs. a lighter RAF blue or similar color, though that is purely personal. Loro Piana has a 95/5 wool cashmere blend navy herringbone that has a lovely feel to it. I think it is 10-11 ounces but wears a bit warmer.

For solids that are a bit lighter than navy, I'd take a look in the Lesser and Harrisons books. I can't think of an exact fabric off hand, but I know I saw some nice slightly lighter than navy blues when I last got a navy blazer.

I'd also spend some time browsing the MyTailor website as they have a fair amount of fabrics up there. If you see something you like, email Joe (or whoever from MyTailor comes to your city) and ask if they can bring that particular book / swatch for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads