• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mikejungle

Reaction score
If you want the abridged version, it's that I won't by a suit from Suitsupply again. Not necessarily because they're ****** suits (they look nice, but won't last), but because of their ****** quality control policy. I got two holes in a barely-worn suit, and Suitsupply won't acknowledge that it's possible that it's a quality issue.

For the full story, keep reading...

-------

I got my first Suitsupply suit a little over a year ago, but this story isn't about this suit. This story is about the second suit that I got from them: the Navy Traveller in the Havana fit.

It was marvelous. The size 38 fit my 6" frame almost perfectly (almost, because I've got long arms, and I've had to take the sleeves out to get it just perfect). The way it draped, the flow-iness of the fabric, everything about it just tickled my pickle. I really can't say a lot bad about the fit and finish.

The problem gets to be with their wool.
Save for two business conferences/meetings (during which I wore it carefully, with new Carmina brogues :D). I'd have to say it was on my body for less than 14 days total this past year.

That's when I discovered the first hole in the upper thigh. It wasn't a moth, because it was a clean opening. Pretty upset, I contacted Suitsupply, they determined that it wasn't a quality issue, rather a snag, and I had to buy another pair of pants with a meager courtesy discount. I was skeptical because...these pants are pretty form fitting now. If something happened, I would have been, like, "****, something happened." Not only because they're tight, but because I was hypersensitive to how I was moving in the suit, and what the suit was touching. Either way, I couldn't say **** about it, because I admit that it was possible.

Just about two weeks ago, I found another ******* hole in the suit. This time in the upper back. I mean...wtf? It was another clean cut. Incensed, I emailed pictures, spoke over email, and finally called to deal directly with Scott, who heads up their quality, I think. I won't bash him for his behavior, because he was courteous, but I thought he was un-*******-reasonable.

Scott said it's not a quality issue, because if my fat ass had burst the suit, it probably would have been at a seam. This, I agree with to some degree.
He also said it's probably because of the open weave, that I went around snagging the suit on this and that. This, I find incense-worthy.

And let's say it was snagged twice. Within this short period. Isn't making a suit with suiting that is snag-prone a quality issue?

I know there are no obligations on their part to replace the suit, but how the **** does this happen twice in a brand new ******* suit? I know it's not a ******* leather jacket; I don't expect a lifetime of wear, but how does this happen with less than two weeks of wear??? I just don't buy the two snags theory. I'm not rolling around in a bed of thistles, I'm not getting drunk, clubbing, and doing God-knows-what in my suit. I was a well-behaved gentleman in my nice suit.

Industry standard practice? Maybe. But I think something like this would warrant a recall, and even if it didn't, look at the situation and make a goddamn judgment call. Maybe he just doesn't buy my story, but I just don't understand how this is acceptable business behavior.

As an epilogue...I'm done buying cheap ****. Where can I get a quality suit that will last me more than two ******* weeks? I thought Suitsupply was going to be that suit, but I don't think so anymore.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst I can accept that you are annoyed, swearing at them will not have helped your cause.

mikejungle

Reaction score
I promise I started off as level as I could, and I had hoped that we could reach an accord.

I won't say I didn't sound seriously frustrated and annoyed, I really didn't lose control (which I did not mean to) until it was clear that my line of reasoning was hitting a brick wall. Honestly, not even an acknowledgment that it was a highly unusual occurrence.

Last edited:

alessandromo

Reaction score
Mike I bought exactly the same suit (hanana navy traveler) and also had two holes within weeks of buying it - mine were both under the arm holes at the back. I put the first one down to my fault and assumed I must have snagged it somewhere, but after number two I have my doubts and think it's the choice of loose weave as you pointed out. I fixed mine at a local tailor in Sydney at my own cost.

I'm surprised at their response as I've found them to be excellent on the odd occassion ive raised a concern. Maybe point them to this post as further evidence.

My guess is that we're not the only ones with this issue and they will discontinue the fabric at some point. I'm sticking with them as all of my other purchases have been excellent and no one else can match their quality to price ratio.

Good luck!

mikejungle

Reaction score
See, I'm a little upset that I can't shop with them anymore, on principle. I did a bunch of research before settling on them, because at this price point, I thought they represented excellent quality.

Quality also means standing behind your product, don't you think? I can't believe they're denying that there's anything wrong with this choice of fabric.

Can you please tell me more about your account, Alessandro?mo?

Jim Chu

Reaction score
Without offering any opinion on SS's quality, I believe part of its attraction is its convenience. To find quality clothing at comparable prices will take some work. But there are plenty of places that offer such clothing. For starters, try SF's for sale forums. Members here offer excellent top-quality, many times NWT, often Italian hand-made clothing, for much lower prices than retail. You'll have to check frequently and research the brands before purchasing. You should also research SF and see what members are buying. Visit WAYWT forums and get an idea of fit. Don't be afraid to inquire about something you like. Members are most often eager to provide prices and places of purchase. I don't own any, but many people like Kent Wang and Spear & Mackay (sp?) both of whom I think is in the SS price range. There are also many other vendors here that advertise and have dedicated threads on SF. Check them out and see what's offered.

Then, there's ebay. Of course you'll have to check the reputation before buying, but there are an abundance of retailers that sell brands like Sartoria Partenopea,Luigi Borelli, and other reputable brands that often have some very good handiwork (excuse my spelling errors here).

Then you have reputable online sites like Yoox and Sartoriale that also offer top-quality names and sport a good return policies.

The bottom line is this. All of these methods require work. Unlike Suit Supply where you can narrow your choices down to a few designs in minutes, decide on a color and fabric and push a button and wait for UPS to arrive, you'll be required to perform some research and engage in some good old fashion trial-and-error until you locate your personal price-value-quality-fit coordinates and possibly zero in on a brand (there's a suit ratings charts on this site that you might be able to use as a list of brands).

But I warn you. Once you start looking down at your hand-made button holes and handset lapels, you'll only go up in quality -- at your financial peril. And while no brand provides perfect quality all the time, for the most part, you'll have clothes that will provide many years of joy.

Good luck in your sartorial pursuits.

(BTW- do you really have a six inch frame? That makes you really skinny)

alessandromo

Reaction score
Mike I put our experiences down to just being unlucky. I love the clothing that suit supply offer and it's become my go to for suits and jackets, except when I'm in Italy! The fabrics are excellent (I worked in menswear for 4 years while I was a university) so I'd give it another go. Now I wish they would just open a store in Australia! Most of the pics on my blog (link below) are from suit supply

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you think the fabrics are excellent? Serious question, not trying to be sarcastic.

I read on the forum that SS buys their fabrics on spec, which partially explains the low prices.

alessandromo

Reaction score
They buy them from respected Italian and English mills eg Vitale Barberis Canonico, Delfino, Reda, Carlo Barbera etc. these are the same fabrics you will find at quality mtm tairlors. Google the above mills and judge for yourself.

SartoriaMac

Reaction score
I'm not here to bash but I assure you that as suiting fabric goes the quality of Suit Supply, or any other suiting brand with an "accessible" price point, is not excellent. I am a bespoke tailor so I work with fabrics on a daily basis... a 3 meter cut of fabric needed to make a real quality suit costs more than the final price of most RTW suits...
I understand that not just anyone can afford a bespoke suit, and that these brands provide a wonderful outlet for those who wear suits daily for work... I respect that. I just needed to make it clear, out of the passion I have for my work, that excellence in regards to fabric is not something that these companies offer.

The holes are formed because the fabric wears down, in the upper back because there's tension, and under the arm because there's a lot of friction. This happens alot in the crotch of trousers as well, and on the shoulder if you carry a bag with a strap.

Mikejungle, you can call Scott and tell him that his company should stop using **** fabric ! :D

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They buy them from respected Italian and English mills eg Vitale Barberis Canonico, Delfino, Reda, Carlo Barbera etc. these are the same fabrics you will find at quality mtm tairlors. Google the above mills and judge for yourself.

Exactly. But they buy them on spec.

Just like how car manufacturers have high-end and low-end models.

Last edited:

alessandromo

Reaction score
SartoriaMac completely agree that you can't compare bespoke with off the rack, it's like comparing a Bentley with Mercedes. Also I won't try and compare my knowledge of fabrics with yours, you are a professional craftsman and I am a consumer - a reasonably informed one compared with the general public... I do know what mills they use and have read up on them and after years of buying suitsupply I am a very happy customer. (And for the record, no i don't work for them I'm a fund manager based in Sydney Australia!!)

I'm coming at this discussion with the assumption that the original post was discussing his experience with suitsupply (and I had the same experience) and was looking for an alternative product, again OTR. I think it's worth giving them another chance (maybe even reaching out to Scott again) especially after your first experience which you say was "marvelous".

I was attracted to suitsupply after reading the following article

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703385404576258671135584478

"Both testers said the $614 Suitsupply suit matched the $3,625 Armani in quality. Both saw little difference in quality between the two, or at least not enough to justify a $3,000 difference in price"

I know Armani isn't the gold standard (we can all agree about that!) but the article interested me enough to give it a go and I haven't been able to find anyone else that comes even close to their quality to price ratio. Fabrics from respected Italian mills, fair price points and beautiful cuts.

Suitsupply remains my go to for suits and jackets.

Here is photo from my wedding in November last year, I can't speak highly enough about them....

http://alessandromo.tumblr.com/post/153971530372

Marsay

Reaction score
The Italian super wool favoured by Suit Supply doesn't wear well - the higher the super the flimisier. For bargain basement suits, I'd stick with the Napoli range.

Last edited:

Jim Chu

Reaction score
You would think that a suit called the "Traveller" is one of their most durable?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads